Oregon Jeep Badge of Honor: Cedar Tree & Firebreak 5 (Tillamook State Forest)

Yep, those sound familiar. I never tried to do any of the really tough stuff. I don't mind getting dirty, but I'm not one of those guys who wants to roll my Jeep, haha! I know guys with bashed up XJs who don't even give a crap, but they paid maybe $1500 for them!
Funny you say that, there were plenty of XJ's there...few JKU's (which i'm more impressed by fitting through those tight trees), and I saw a bunch of FJ's. Sadly not 1 other TJ.

Funny you say that, there were plenty of XJ's there...few JKU's (which i'm more impressed by fitting through those tight trees), and I saw a bunch of FJ's. Sadly not 1 other TJ.

Yeah, most of the guys who were up there when I went were XJ owners. These were beat to hell XJs that the guys were just absolutely bashing. But like I said, if you paid $1500 for one of those XJs, I wouldn't feel bad about it getting all messed up either.

The JKUs might be able to fit through some of those trails, but you've got to be a lot more careful and go a lot slower.

The JKUs might be able to fit through some of those trails, but you've got to be a lot more careful and go a lot slower.
Thats why I was impressed by them, cause there was some runs that were a tight fit for me!

Thats why I was impressed by them, cause there was some runs that were a tight fit for me!

Yep, you just have to be a lot more careful with them. But I really like the small size of the TJ, it makes trails like that a lot easier.

What trails have you been on so far over there? I like how most of the trails have signage that kind of let you know what type of stuff your getting into before you commit to it. I will say this, even the easiest trails there had some gnarly features! Not too mention what a difference the weather plays on those trails.

Loved the pictures, thanks for sharing!

I tend to stay out of the OHV areas, but that is in my backyard. You are absolutely correct in the observations about the weather and about how tight the trails up in that area can get. Small and light is the key to happiness!

Who says we don't have rocks in Oregon?
Toyota on the rocks:
Toyota on the rocks.jpg

My TJ isn't built for that, BTW. I guess that the State Foresters found a couple of boulder fields on the back side of 7-Up, and opened them up to 4 Wheelers. I really need to find pictures of the Waterfall trail to post. It's supposed to be pretty gnarly all year 'round.

Edited to add: The state graded and groomed Waterfall! It's now rated as easy! Easier than Powerline, in fact. That's going to bum the Toyota guys out.

Last edited:
Reactions: EJD and Squatch
Just adding to the thread, the highlight of the trip for me was obviously the Cedar Tree which I never posted in my OP because I was saving it for the win of June 2018. So I wanted to add those pics to this page and give an update on the badges themselves which I have just received!
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_9020.JPG
IMG_9021.JPG

OMG I never knew about the badge of honor thing?!?! this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Also, your pictures are spectacular (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: EJD and StG58
OMG I never knew about the badge of honor thing?!?! this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Also, your pictures are spectacular (y)
If you ever wanna meet up for a trail run and earn your badges, let me know I went there again today!

Reactions: Vasq
If you ever wanna meet up for a trail run and earn your badges, let me know I went there again today!
I will definitly take you up on that. I'm about 3 weeks out from being "ready" (waiting on parts).
It will be really nice to go with someone who has run it before. (y)

Reactions: EJD
I will definitly take you up on that. I'm about 3 weeks out from being "ready" (waiting on parts).
It will be really nice to go with someone who has run it before. (y)
Absolutely, there are a ton of Jeep trails there, one thing you will have to get is an Oregon ATV Permit. For Jeeps its called a "Class II" permit and they are supposed to be on all 4x4's using the trails there. Here's the link: as you can buy them ahead of time, or locally at some random places nearby. If your interested that is.

https://store.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=v.dsp_item&itemId=100

Absolutely, there are a ton of Jeep trails there, one thing you will have to get is an Oregon ATV Permit. For Jeeps its called a "Class II" permit and they are supposed to be on all 4x4's using the trails there. Here's the link: as you can buy them ahead of time, or locally at some random places nearby. If your interested that is.

https://store.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=v.dsp_item&itemId=100
that's good to know, i'll look into it.
Where does go? looks like tabs or something simular.

that's good to know, i'll look into it.
Where does go? looks like tabs or something simular.
I have mine on the face of my ashtray in my Jeep, lol. Did not realize they are supposed to be on the rear side of the vehicle anywhere (bumper, back of tub, rear glass). I figure if I get stopped I can always pop the ashtray right out and show the ranger.

• Haha
good to know! once i'm all dialed in i'll look at dates and reach out if i try to make any plans. been reading more about tummy tucks, i might be down longer than i thought.

Gah! I need to make it down there this summer and get those badges! I'm so close to having the Jeep ready for the summer!
We would love to have you! We’ve been talking a little on a possible Memorial Day weekend type meetup. Any chance you’d be free for a day trip?

We would love to have you! We’ve been talking a little on a possible Memorial Day weekend type meetup. Any chance you’d be free for a day trip?
I wanna say yes. I just got my hours at work cut in half. Upside is a lot more free time and i already have a pile of parts to install. I'll know for sure in 2 weeks! If i miss memorial day, I will definitely be down there this summer for a multi-day exploration. I'll be sure to hit you guys up way before i want to head down to see what everyone's schedule looks like.

I wanna say yes. I just got my hours at work cut in half. Upside is a lot more free time and i already have a pile of parts to install. I'll know for sure in 2 weeks! If i miss memorial day, I will definitely be down there this summer for a multi-day exploration. I'll be sure to hit you guys up way before i want to head down to see what everyone's schedule looks like.
That sounds good. I think everything right now is a loose plan but stay tuned for a new thread on the topic!

I go there all the time so I’m sure summer would work too! 😀