Jeep begins to jump side-to-side when turning super sharp

Aidan;)

Ok so I've had the Jeep for over a year. Its a 1998 and has had this condition where when I take very sharp turns somewhat quickly not like zooming but quick it begins to I guess death wobble where there's clanking and the vehicle shakes. Not really shakes but moves in sync with the clanking and it only happens when turning sharp (like 180) and won't happen if I slow down in the turn. I usually only notice this very rarely when I'm turning in a parking garage around beams. What could be causing this? Some important notes that probably affect the problem are its lifted 4.5" and has 35" tires

Attachments

• AED8BC18-C6D3-4FD3-A634-C130A9560CDE.heic
    3.6 MB · Views: 95
  • 83F6A729-40A6-4721-B909-7F3544DDF94D.heic
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
Couple thoughts. Is the rig in 2wd? What is the wheel backspacing and is it possible the front tires are rubbing your suspension/frame at full lock?

It's 4wd and it doesn't seem to rub any components besides the mud guard which isn't that important, one of the tabs is just loose. Offset is -6mm.

It's 4wd and it doesn't seem to rub any components besides the mud guard which isn't that important, one of the tabs is just loose. Offset is -6mm.

I think he was asking whether the transfer case shifter is in the 2wd position. All TJs are 4wd. If you're driving around in 4wd on pavement the steering wheel will wobble back and forth around sharp turns due to the way U-joints work and as the drivetrain binds up and the tires skid to relieve the bind.

Death wobble is something that happens at speed, and it feels like the vehicle is breaking apart around you. This isn't it.

I’m confident im not driving in 4wd. And the vehicle doesn’t feel like it’s breaking apart just seems to be a wide moving shuddering in the front. I’m about to change out all the u joints for the axles so if it’s the seizing axle I’ll find out.

Reactions: tr21triton
I agree with what Blue said above, if the "jumping" is cyclical and seems to jump faster when you are turning faster it is likely the U joint binding. I would try the trick where you install a few washers behind your turn radius limiting screw. I learned that trick on here and it eliminated my tire rub. It may temporarily fix the issue or help you narrow it down.

Thinking more long-term though, when is the last time your front U-joints, ball joints, and unit bearings were changed? I recently changed those on my 2002 SE only to discover they were all original from the factory. Changing all that completely eliminated alot of vibrations that I attributed to my tires. Also did tie rod ends and that eliminated almost all of the play I had in my steering. Something to think about maybe.

If you do buy U-joints and ball joints, go with Spicer as the many many posts on here suggest. I used Timken for the hub bearings even though they are made in China. Everything is made in China so......