Jeep "Bug Out" Bag

I have no idea if general discussion is the right place for this thread, but I'm sure someone will yell at me if it's not. I'm working on building a Jeep bag. I hesitate to say bug out bag but I guess that's what it is. I'm just trying to build something where if I ever have to hike out of somewhere or SHTF I can just grab it out of my rig and get moving. Also just something to help simplify my storage in my rig.
What I currently have:
-towel
-headlamp
-jump pack/portable charger
-socks
-extra shoes since 90% of the time I'm in flip flops
-Basic survival kit
-batteries
-basic first aid kit
-space blanket
-sweatshirtag
A bug out bag is what I have at home. When out or at work I have get home bag.
Just few items in it.
Band aids
SAS Survival Guide 2E (3"x4.5") Collins Gem
Military compass
Paper tab & Pen
A couple Fenix tactical flashlights.
A Lifestraw
Head lamp.
A couple towels
A par of Pig tactical gloves
A Kahr K9 in the bottom secret compartment.
Couple extra mags.
A Kbar Jurok
laser pointer
Hand sanitizer
2m/70cm hand radio
in a Drago bag

drago-ammo-and-tool-bag-01-560x749.jpg

Last edited:
When out or at work I have get home bag.
I guess a get home bag is more what I'm building. I was hesitant to call it a bug out or get home bag because to me that looks a lot more like yours. This one I'm trying to make it less tactical and more just my rig broke down a few miles from the trail head and I need to hike out or even just I got stuck in a whiteout on paved roads and need to spend the night in my car. The most likely scenario is I fell into a lake or river fishing because I have the coordination of a drunk toddler and need some dry clothes and a towel.

I guess a get home bag is more what I'm building. I was hesitant to call it a bug out or get home bag because to me that looks a lot more like yours. This one I'm trying to make it less tactical and more just my rig broke down a few miles from the trail head and I need to hike out or even just I got stuck in a whiteout on paved roads and need to spend the night in my car. The most likely scenario is I fell into a lake or river fishing because I have the coordination of a drunk toddler and need some dry clothes and a towel.

Well that's a different matter. I wheel with friends and never gave much thought to hiking out the trail.

Well that's a different matter. I wheel with friends and never gave much thought to hiking out the trail.

A majority of the time I'm with other rigs, but theres always a chance of getting stranded even in a group. I also am driving into spots to fish, hunt, hike, etc alone enough that it just makes me feel a little better about it.

Water,couple mre's,rain gear and thermals.first aid kit with alcohol,tp,and toothbrush,paste.
Handgun,gps,compass,firestarting squares,matches and lighter.
Overnight bag with change of clothes.
Recovery gear bag
Tools and parts bag

For sure. That's my plan currently. I like what my buddy built in his Taco so I might steal his design and just modify it. My issue is I either have to give up seat space or storage space. I'll figure something out. Not planning on doing much wheeling or camping until June so that should give me plenty of time.

I did the same with my 3rd Gen taco. It got annoying. With the room it took up. Better off storing in wheel arch area in the back and leaving the open space for storage for cooler. Makes un packing easier.

Reactions: Bobohunter1776

That reminded me, I've recently added a compass and physical map (state road map) to each car. Work often takes me out into areas with limited cell service, and sometimes GPS won't pick up, so I’d hate to be out somewhere and have cell service and GPS be down for a while for what ever reason, which seem more likely every day.

Reactions: sab and Rickyd
In addition to the other things I also carry:
Handheld GPS
Toilet paper
Hatchet with a saw in the handle
Fire starter
Shovel

You guys carrying toilet paper should give a pack of baby wipes a try. So much nicer on the back side ;), easier to pack and can be used for other things like giving yourself a "whore bath". I keep a small travel size pack in my passenger door panel pockets.

You guys carrying toilet paper should give a pack of baby wipes a try. So much nicer on the back side ;), easier to pack and can be used for other things like giving yourself a "whore bath". I keep a small travel size pack in my passenger door panel pockets.
I may try that.
I also carry a small bar of soap to lubricate the zippers on my soft top.

I would still have a firearm in the kit, but then again, I always have one on me. My underseat lockbox has one too, so I'll always have two at my immediate disposal.
I might also add the light that I mentioned before, as well as some emergency rations of some sort, maybe protein bars. A disposable lighter would better serve you than a fire starter kit, far easier to use, and it takes up less space. A couple space blankets, a first aid kit, paracord, all in a decent backpack should get you home.

That reminded me, I've recently added a compass and physical map (state road map) to each car. Work often takes me out into areas with limited cell service, and sometimes GPS won't pick up, so I’d hate to be out somewhere and have cell service and GPS be down for a while for what ever reason, which seem more likely every day.

I've got maps in my rig and a compass in my survival kit and on my garmin. I need to find some better maps though and get some practice with maps in general. I am horrible with navigating. Most of my wheeling and riding buddies have banned me from navigating.

I would still have a firearm in the kit, but then again, I always have one on me. My underseat lockbox has one too, so I'll always have two at my immediate disposal.
Unfortunately in Colorado you have to be 21 to possess a handgun and I do not feel comfortable leaving a long gun in my Jeep until I get a very nice lockbox that I trust. Once I get my CCW permit though definitely.

I’d hate to be out somewhere and have cell service and GPS be down for a while for what ever reason, which seem more likely every day.

Ain't that the truth. There was a recent post about EMP-proofing a TJ, but the ChiComms knocking out the GPS constellation seems much more likely (they've been pretty busy doing things in space lately). It is, after all, a military system first-and-foremost. Think how much chaos we'd see if an entire generation of drivers who have literally never even seen a map can no longer rely on GPS to simply get to a new place in the city where they reside!

Reactions: Larry221 and BlueC