Jeep "Bug Out" Bag

Ain't that the truth. There was a recent post about EMP-proofing a TJ, but the ChiComms knocking out the GPS constellation seems much more likely (they've been pretty busy doing things in space lately). It is, after all, a military system first-and-foremost. Think how much chaos we'd see if an entire generation of drivers who have literally never even seen a map can no longer rely on GPS to simply get to a new place in the city where they reside!

I know, personally, I'd be f---ed. Being a mountain kid I've got no problem up here. When I'm in the city though it's a whole different story. Definitely need to get more practice with maps. It's just not something most schools teach anymore and I've just never been in a situation I absolutely had to use them. I've always had OnX or Garmin at my disposal.

I know, personally, I'd be f---ed. Being a mountain kid I've got no problem up here. When I'm in the city though it's a whole different story. Definitely need to get more practice with maps. It's just not something most schools teach anymore and I've just never been in a situation I absolutely had to use them. I've always had OnX or Garmin at my disposal.

Map and compass isn't that hard PROVIDED you have a good map. And for trail riding you want a topographical map. I know that Colorado is mountainous, and a good topo map will let you use those mountain to locate yourself, and thus find your way out.

Reactions: Akitadog
Map and compass isn't that hard PROVIDED you have a good map. And for trail riding you want a topographical map. I know that Colorado is mountainous, and a good topo map will let you use those mountain to locate yourself, and thus find your way out.

You can download good topo maps from the USGS website and print them anywhere.

Reactions: Akitadog
You can download good topo maps from the USGS website and print them anywhere.

That's one of the reasons I like Avenza. The app is just geolocated PDFs of existing maps...topo and otherwise.

I could still use the map even if the blue dot disappeared.

-Mac

That's one of the reasons I like Avenza. The app is just geolocated PDFs of existing maps...topo and otherwise.

-Mac

I've got too many mapping apps. All of them have some good features but not everything. My favorites right now are Caltopo and Avenza

Screenshot_20230308_120521_One UI Home.jpg

-Mac

The new iPhone 14 sorts that out as well... they have fully activated the remote location texting.

Not to be a jackass, but what are you guys going to do if your phone craps out and you don't have a paper map?

Reactions: BlueC
Short term bail out

1. Hydration - by way of purification or multiple purified bottles. Multiple in case of a single bottle compromise.
2. Nourishment - low mass, high calories. You can get 1k calories from a steak or two big scoops of peanut butter.
3. First aid - basic. tourniquet (premade or make your own), tape, gauze, antibiotic ointment and sting spray.
4. Tools - basic. High frequency jeep tools and fire starting tools.

Stop wearing flip flops. Now you don't have to carry shoes.

• Haha
Reactions: C.J. Roberts
Not to be a jackass, but what are you guys going to do if your phone craps out and you don't have a paper map?

use my paper map...

Or the ipad I have with me, and loaded with the maps of the area, or just drive out on the same path I went in on...

Or, since I never go out alone, converse on the radio with the other rigs I'm out with, or ask my wife for her phone...

What do you do when your paper map that you've had for years tells you there's a trail or road, when there hasn't been one there for years?

Our LJ Rubican is always ready to Bug out, as during Monson season or more lately snow can keep us from getting home for a few days.
The usual Tool Kit , spare parts and survival kit.
At least one case of water, in the summer two.
Canned food enough for a week.
Coleman one burner stove A small pan to heat up food and a coffee pot for cowboy coffee to boil water.
Two 9x12 canvas painter tarps for shade or sleeping.
Extra underwear, socks, pants and shirts.
My jeep guns are a Ruger SBH 10.5 44 mag and a Marlin 336 16 in barrel in 44 mag with 4 boxes of 180 grain Remington shells.
This all fits behind the back seat of the LJ.

Reactions: Shank
I have no idea if general discussion is the right place for this thread, but I'm sure someone will yell at me if it's not. I'm working on building a Jeep bag. I hesitate to say bug out bag but I guess that's what it is. I'm just trying to build something where if I ever have to hike out of somewhere or SHTF I can just grab it out of my rig and get moving. Also just something to help simplify my storage in my rig.
What I currently have:
-towel
-headlamp
-jump pack/portable charger
-socks
-extra shoes since 90% of the time I'm in flip flops
-Basic survival kit
-batteries
-basic first aid kit
-space blanket
-sweatshirt
- gallon of water

I'm just wondering if anyone has anything similar in their rig or have any suggestions on what to add. I'm definitely getting a rain poncho or two ASAP. Eventually I'm gonna get a trauma kit with a tourniquet and what not. I've got a quilted blanket as well, but that's currently hiding my air compressor.

View attachment 405514

I'll add just my .02

Your list is good. I'm in Texas, and can be really, really far from a location. 1 Gallon is good, but I'd also have a couple smaller hard and light water bottles.
I'd also have something to boil water
Life straw for water (water is a theme, you can't go long without it, you can starve for days)
Some Beef Jerky, good amount
Firearm, with sufficient Rounds, your choice.
Good Knife
Fire starting gear
ENO (pouched up hammock) sleeping on the ground sucks, but in West Texas that'd be the answer.
Extra Hat
Long Sleeve light shirt for sun
Bandana or two
Sunglasses

So, Water and Firearm are my answer always, ha.

Reactions: Bobohunter1776
I’ll add, a light shotgun is the best. With Buckshot for real ooomph, and some light stuff to shoot a rabbit or snake to eat.

I own multiple AR’s, and going to war great, but for my money, nothing beats a really good scatter gun.

Reactions: txbemis69
I’ll add, a light shotgun is the best. With Buckshot for real ooomph, and some light stuff to shoot a rabbit or snake to eat.

I own multiple AR’s, and going to war great, but for my money, nothing beats a really good scatter gun.

Agreed. Shotguns are about as versatile as it gets. I've been looking at AR-7s though. Wouldn't mind having something like that just in general.

Reactions: Rickyd