Jeep "Bug Out" Bag

For a Break down 22 look at the Stevens 87B they can fire shorts, longs and long rifle.
Far more accurate than a Ruger 10 22.

They might be fine rifles, but with only 200,000 made, ceasing production in about 1960, good luck finding one. OR parts for one. The Ruger has been made since 1964, and is still in production, with over 7,000,000 made, and as previously mentioned supported by a vast aftermarket of parts and accessories.

Last edited:
I agree with C.J. Roberts, and I'll add this. I've never had problems with accuracy in any of the 10/22s I've owned over the years. I've killed plenty of critters in field conditions with them. Minute-of-squirrel accuracy is easy to accomplish in a 10/22 for very little cost.

Reactions: Rickyd
My Gill Gun (a Sears Ranger 101.16) as they are know will dance a beer can at 100 yards with iron sights.

Try that with a 10-22.

As they are a semi auto / bolt action it will take all of the 22 rounds S L LR except 22wrm.

You can find them at Pawn Shops or Gunbroker.

Nurmich has every part in stock.

They were made for over 40 years and a million plus made.

Here is a link just in case you find one in a pawnshop for $75 and want to know more about it,

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/savage-stevens-springfield-clone-data-base.344753/

I read though some but not all of the posts. What you pack really depends upon your environment. Here in the desert water would be a high priority. In other areas a means of self defense might be a higher priority.

And as noted above, a good paper map is always a good idea.

What do you do when your paper map that you've had for years tells you there's a trail or road, when there hasn't been one there for years?
Well you're in a Jeep, so if there was a trail then, well you're in a Jeep, right? We actually run trails that many years ago were mining roads and are now unmaintained 4WD trails, the harder the better. If it's on a map, then you can likely navigate it.

I have no idea if general discussion is the right place for this thread, but I'm sure someone will yell at me if it's not. I'm working on building a Jeep bag. I hesitate to say bug out bag but I guess that's what it is. I'm just trying to build something where if I ever have to hike out of somewhere or SHTF I can just grab it out of my rig and get moving. Also just something to help simplify my storage in my rig.
What I currently have:
-towel
-headlamp
-jump pack/portable charger
-socks
-extra shoes since 90% of the time I'm in flip flops
-Basic survival kit
-batteries
-basic first aid kit
-space blanket
-sweatshirt
- gallon of water

I'm just wondering if anyone has anything similar in their rig or have any suggestions on what to add. I'm definitely getting a rain poncho or two ASAP. Eventually I'm gonna get a trauma kit with a tourniquet and what not. I've got a quilted blanket as well, but that's currently hiding my air compressor.

View attachment 405514

Life straws, add them. Change of gear (awesome) something to start a fire, some sort of radio and water.

Rule is this for survival:

You can go:

3 hours in extreme conditions with no shelter.

3 days with no water

3 weeks no food

Those are your priorities to be met first

And then it turns into another stand off with 2 dummies firing over the hoods of their Jeeps, and the Jeeps suffer all the damage :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

For some reason I didn't get notified about these posts but they're beautiful. My rig did actually almost get hit last season by some richochets. Some dumbasses were shooting at steel from 20 yds bumpfiring AR-15s and AR-10s on the side of the trail. I don't know if I'd even shoot handguns at steel that close but a .308 and 5.56? Absolutely not. Heard rounds impacting all around on the dirt by the trail. Didn't like that very much. They also all had Chihuahua plates on. Saw about 20 or so rigs with chihuahua plates that day.

• Wow
Reactions: John Cooper
For some reason I didn't get notified about these posts but they're beautiful. My rig did actually almost get hit last season by some richochets. Some dumbasses were shooting at steel from 20 yds bumpfiring AR-15s and AR-10s on the side of the trail. I don't know if I'd even shoot handguns at steel that close but a .308 and 5.56? Absolutely not. Heard rounds impacting all around on the dirt by the trail. Didn't like that very much. They also all had Chihuahua plates on. Saw about 20 or so rigs with chihuahua plates that day.

Make sure you put a duck in your bugout bag.you never know when you'll see a jeep that needs one!

• Face Palm
Reactions: John Cooper
Shouldn't??

Yes. I was at a trailhead after a hike and parked next to a brand new Rubi with a few ducks in it and I'm just sitting in my car turning my music on before I leave and all the sudden I look over and she's staring at me through my window and just says "You're too young to have a Jeep I had to wait for mine" and then walked away. Weird interaction.