Jeep clubs, what's your take?

I've come to enjoy the small groups. Nothing formal about them. Friends I've met over the years. Any more than 7-8 rigs gets chaotic and makes for a long day.

The p
Some are good some are full of dbags. Some are focused on service and some on fun for the members. Some are affiliated with an organization and some are not. Some have regular club meetings and some are internet only. The main club I belong to is full of good folks, is a registered 501C3, organizes runs, is affiliated with the PNW4WDA (https://www.pnw4wda.org/) and does good volunteer work and fun only stuff too.
The pnw4wda is one of the reasons I now have a dislike for clubs. I’ll go into further detail at a time when I haven’t had a couple bourbons in me because as of now every other word would start with the letter “F”

I've come to enjoy the small groups. Nothing formal about them. Friends I've met over the years. Any more than 7-8 rigs gets chaotic and makes for a long day.
The only thing worse than a lot of rigs is
A) One rig with a bad driver
B) One rig that is severely underbuilt for the trails it's trying
C) A two for one combo

There's a group that I will not go out with due to reason C. An hour on a dirt hill climb using traction boards because the guy was too stubborn to get winched up. Also didn't have a winch. Once he got unstuck, he drove such a bad line that he got himself wedged between two dirt walls in an S-bend and broke a tail light.

I'm new to Jeeps and off roading and I don't have any friends that wheel so I pretty much have to join(?) a club. There's one local to me which is convenient and I went to one meeting/bbq where I met a couple cool and knowledgeable guys close to my age, most of the people where pretty cool actually. I'm not much of a "club" person though and I prefer smaller groups on the trail(from a lot of dirtbike and streetbike experience) so I'm not sure how involved I'll be. They also seemed to be welcoming/tolerant of noobs with stock Jeeps though most are not stock and a few rigs that have more in one axle than I paid for my jeep.

We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: TJ Starting
The p

The pnw4wda is one of the reasons I now have a dislike for clubs. I’ll go into further detail at a time when I haven’t had a couple bourbons in me because as of now every other word would start with the letter “F”

Even if you have bad feelings about PNW4WDA that doesn't make the clubs in them bad right? I've had my issues with the PNW4WDA myself but they do fight to keep our trails open.
There is also WOHVA if you just don't want anything to do with the PNW4WDA. I know a lot of people who have gone with them over the PNW4WDA. If you have people you already wheel with then I wouldn't worry about it unless you are looking for something more. For me joining a club is sort of like how I look for friends. I want to be comfortable with them and be able to relax when I go on club runs.

Reactions: reddvltj
There are at least 3 local to me. Seem to be friendly folks - but I was warned about Jeep clubs in general. A "beginner's" trail is intermediate, and an intermediate is "OMFG!" I'm in no way yet ready to even try a trail as yet, it will be some months before I am. Then I might check 'em out.

You probably wouldn't want to join a club called the Tin Benders.

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch and Zorba
Even if you have bad feelings about PNW4WDA that doesn't make the clubs in them bad right? I've had my issues with the PNW4WDA myself but they do fight to keep our trails open.
There is also WOHVA if you just don't want anything to do with the PNW4WDA. I know a lot of people who have gone with them over the PNW4WDA. If you have people you already wheel with then I wouldn't worry about it unless you are looking for something more. For me joining a club is sort of like how I look for friends. I want to be comfortable with them and be able to relax when I go on club runs.
Yeah, your totally right, I’m not looking on joining a club based on whether or not there in the pnw4wda and I do like wohva a hell of a lot better than them. I love wheeling with my friends, it’s just getting harder and harder to get them out as much as I’d like, or when I’m available. Most clubs will have scheduled runs, which I can plan for, where as my group is a bit more spontaneous.

My little band of misfits (4 jeeps) was recently stuck behind a large group of Jeepers for Jesus folks at the local offroad ranch (1300 acres) on a novice trail for over an hour. We moved maybe 1/2 a mile. They had stock TJ's, stock JK's, a stock Jeep Compass (it was a Trailhawk, lol) and a stock Land Cruiser running small street tires. There were about 20 vehicles in their group, and we could not pass until the next trail intersection. It was very frustrating, and hilarious at the same time to watch them beat the snot out of that Compass (it had dealer tags on it) and some of the other vehicles. This is the main trail into the ranch, so we had no options. They were super nice people, but groups that big clog up the works for everyone else. Wish I had gotten pictures of the carnage.

Any sizable club will have various cliques in it. And clubs go through stages, some weird, some rude, as they grow and as leadership changes. Social media and forums help a lot, but reaching out to a club can help you get you "in the door" of the offroad world faster. I think most would agree we should not be wheeling alone, especially when we are greenhorns, so if it's between that and a cliquey club that has dues and makes you feel awkward, go for the cliquey club.

My club limits runs to no more than 10 vehicles. If there are enough members that want to go on a run we split them in half and then either run different trails or stagger departure times.

I know of some clubs in your neighborhood. The other thing I like about clubs is the unofficial runs that pop up.

My club limits runs to no more than 10 vehicles. If there are enough members that want to go on a run we split them in half and then either run different trails or stagger departure times.

I know of some clubs in your neighborhood. The other thing I like about clubs is the unofficial runs that pop up.
I love those also. We used to be sitting around and get a group text saying night run, meet at (fill in locations here) in 1 hr. Then we’d wheel all night and stop for breakfast on the way home

Like anything in life being involved in a club is a lot of times related to the amount of effort that you put into it.
But I'd hate to belong to a club that only did easy trails.

Reactions: reddvltj and Zorba
Like anything in life being involved in a club is a lot of times related to the amount of effort that you put into it.
But I'd hate to belong to a club that only did easy trails.
Agree with both. All I ask is "truth in advertising", and maybe an occasional ride along opportunity on trails that over my or my Jeep's head. Saw a video of a trail ride not too far from here where the newbie had a more experienced guy riding with him to coach - that's good too...

Reactions: Squatch and Wildman
FB_IMG_15925226286808243.jpg

Most clubs suck. Muscle car clubs and Jeep clubs seem to be the worst offenders.

Mandatory monthly meetings, membership dues, fees, it's all just a bunch of BS. I don't need a club to have fun, nor do I need them to access trails and race tracks.

The p

They fight to keep trails open and organize volunteer trail maintenance and clean up efforts. Ya take the good with the bad sometimes.

I'm new to Jeeps and off roading and I don't have any friends that wheel so I pretty much have to join(?) a club.... They also seemed to be welcoming/tolerant of noobs with stock Jeeps though most are not stock and a few rigs that have more in one axle than I paid for my jeep.

You nailed it on the head. This is when to join a club. Our club is extremely tolerant of noobs and stock rigs. Annoyingly so. I mean it was fine when I was a noob but now super annoying hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj and matkal