Jeep Comanche Barn Find

PCO6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Although not a TJ story, I thought I'd share this for a couple of reasons. It's a neat story (I think) and it involves another Wrangler Jeep TJ Forum member, fellow LJ owner Drizit, and myself.

This Jeep, a 1988 Comanche, basically found me. I had no desire to acquire another MJ but I'm certainly glad I got this one. The seller said it was a parts car but it turned out to be much better than that. Apart from a couple of minor missing parts, it is complete. It has some surface rust and one bad spot on the rear box corner that needs to be replaced … very straight forward job. It is rust free underneath and apart from some rear bumper damage, it's a straight as a die.

I will likely take what I want from it for my other MJ, fix it up (not sure to what point yet) and then pass it on to some one.

Here it is …
picture.jpg

… and here is a bit more about it.
http://www.jeepcentral.ca/forums/showthread.php?6543-Comanche-Barn-Find

Again … thanks for your help Drizit!

Last edited:
Although not a TJ story, I thought I'd share this for a couple of reasons. It's a neat story (I think) and it involves another Wrangler Jeep TJ Forum member, fellow LJ owner Drizit, and myself.

This Jeep, a 1988 Comanche, basically found me. I had no desire to acquire another MJ but I'm certainly glad I got this one. The seller said it was a parts car but it turned out to be much better than that. Apart from a couple of minor missing parts, it is complete. It has some surface rust and one bad spot on the rear box corner that needs to be replaced … very straight forward job. It is rust free underneath and apart from some rear bumper damage, it's a straight as a die.

I will likely take what I want from it for my other MJ, fix it up (not sure to what point yet) and then pass it on to some one.

Here it is …
View attachment 53261

… and here is a bit more about it.
http://www.jeepcentral.ca/forums/showthread.php?6543-Comanche-Barn-Find

Again … thanks for your help Drizit!
Nice find!!

Wow--that is surprisingly clean!

My buddy's family had one growing up, we always took it out to check cattle at night. I believe they may still have it but I would suspect that its sitting in a field rotting away now. They put it thru hell on their ranch, but it kept trucking along.

I Love MJ's. Always have. I just watched the JCRmanche video on youtube today. That is a hell of a build.

Check it out when you have a free half hour!

That one started out as a pretty nice MJ when JCR got it. It had been updated to 1997+ body work and interior and had a number of mechanical improvements although not nearly to JCR's usual standards.

It eventually caught fire! As they say in the video … always carry a fire extinguisher!

Wow--that is surprisingly clean!

My buddy's family had one growing up, we always took it out to check cattle at night. I believe they may still have it but I would suspect that its sitting in a field rotting away now. They put it thru hell on their ranch, but it kept trucking along.
Back in the '90s part of my job required that I keep an eye on any where from 2,000 to 3,000 ac. of future development land. It was mostly farmland but also included a lot of trails, valleys and wood lots. My company car was a '90 Cherokee and I was in part paid to go off roading. Now that I'm retired I've often thought of calling up my old company and offering my services for free!

That one started out as a pretty nice MJ when JCR got it. It had been updated to 1997+ body work and interior and had a number of mechanical improvements although not nearly to JCR's usual standards.

It eventually caught fire! As they say in the video … always carry a fire extinguisher!

I saw those videos too. Fun stuff!

Looks like a fun project.
I don't need any more projects!!! lol. Seriously, I'd love to build this one up but I just have too many projects on the go. It would be a really good one to do because it's so complete and unmessed with. It's also very solid. I already have a Comanche and I'll just take the best of both and build on what I already have on the road (see below).

I'm probably going to pass this one on to a good home. If the new owner wants to wheel it and strip it down I'll gladly keep the parts he doesn't want and sell it for less. Most of the interior, carpet in particular, is in excellent shape. I've already swapped out the seats.

My "other" MJ …

picture.jpg

Reactions: tworley
I don't need any more projects!!! lol. Seriously, I'd love to build this one up but I just have too many projects on the go. It would be a really good one to do because it's so complete and unmessed with. It's also very solid. I already have a Comanche and I'll just take the best of both and build on what I already have on the road (see below).

I'm probably going to pass this one on to a good home. If the new owner wants to wheel it and strip it down I'll gladly keep the parts he doesn't want and sell it for less. Most of the interior, carpet in particular, is in excellent shape. I've already swapped out the seats.

My "other" MJ …

View attachment 53388
Looks great!