Jeep dogs

Had a Cougar sniff my feet once up on Mt. Hood. That was enough.

What is it about feet that cougar like? That happened to me two summers ago in the Olympic mountains!!! I was testing out a one man ultralight tent that I bought before I dropped coin on my Hyperite. Being over 6' tall, I realized either my head or feet were going to get wet. I chose my feet and around 430a I had a LARGE cat sniffing my feet through the thin tent wall.

I'll have to dig up the pics, crazy coincidence though!

Holly and Remy 432.png
Holly Jeep.PNG
040.png
20150916_084046-1.jpg
IMG_3716.JPG
Holly Jeep.PNG
This is Holly and she was with us for 13 years. I wish I still had her riding shotgun with me.

You guys got me thinking about my Pup so I dug out a few more photos. The beagle is Remy and she's our daughter's dog.

Last edited:
I might be looking for a Jeep dog to accompany me on my trips into the backwoods. I really like American Huskies, and Beagles. Here's the deal though, Huskies need to run, and I'm getting a little too stove up to run a Huskie as much as it needs. I'd also like something a little more "outdoor sturdy" than a Beagle. Big fan of hounds of all stripes though. Not a fan of Australian Shepherds. I do like some of the German Shepard mixes. Maybe something in the 35 - 35 pound range?

Anyone with dog and TJ experience have any ideas?

Your dog. Doesn't matter breed or pedigree or outdoorsiness. He or she is your family and best friend so don't be looking to design your BF. Go to the local rescue and take the dog you connect with. That's a jeep dog.

We use a harness we picked up at PetsMart or PetCo that has a tether and carabiner that attaches to the seat belt.

F0CAAC2F-09A8-4B88-A5A7-C60741C42F5E.jpeg

Reactions: KennedyLJ
Boykin Spaniel would get my vote. Have had a few in the past and likely our next when the Lab is gone. Smaller but super eager to please, easily trainable (spaniel, so a gentler hand and tone is needed), max around 45 lbs for a male and great size all around. Don't shed as much as a Lab and will run all day if you're into ducks/geese/birds and make you smile when he/she curls up with you on the couch or in front of the fire at night. Great with people and other dogs. Just as good as family pet or a dual purpose hunter/pet.

Reactions: MikeM and StG58
Boykin Spaniel would get my vote. Have had a few in the past and likely our next when the Lab is gone. Smaller but super eager to please, easily trainable (spaniel, so a gentler hand and tone is needed), max around 45 lbs for a male and great size all around. Don't shed as much as a Lab and will run all day if you're into ducks/geese/birds and make you smile when he/she curls up with you on the couch or in front of the fire at night. Great with people and other dogs. Just as good as family pet or a dual purpose hunter/pet.
Boykin Spaniel... I'll check that out. I had Cocker Spaniels growing up and they were great dogs. Unfortunately, the brains have been bread right out of them today. Thanks!

Had a Cougar sniff my feet once up on Mt. Hood. That was enough..

I don't mind the odd Cougar sniffing around as long as they don't ask me to buy them expensive drinks....Oh hang on different Cougar !! :D

Last edited: