Jeep dogs

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I might be looking for a Jeep dog to accompany me on my trips into the backwoods. I really like American Huskies, and Beagles. Here's the deal though, Huskies need to run, and I'm getting a little too stove up to run a Huskie as much as it needs. I'd also like something a little more "outdoor sturdy" than a Beagle. Big fan of hounds of all stripes though. Not a fan of Australian Shepherds. I do like some of the German Shepard mixes. Maybe something in the 35 - 35 pound range?

Anyone with dog and TJ experience have any ideas?

My German Shepherd riding in the front seat.

20131223_123230.jpg

I might be looking for a Jeep dog to accompany me on my trips into the backwoods. I really like American Huskies, and Beagles. Here's the deal though, Huskies need to run, and I'm getting a little too stove up to run a Huskie as much as it needs. I'd also like something a little more "outdoor sturdy" than a Beagle. Big fan of hounds of all stripes though. Not a fan of Australian Shepherds. I do like some of the German Shepard mixes. Maybe something in the 35 - 35 pound range?

Anyone with dog and TJ experience have any ideas?

I hear ya man - I have been putting off getting another dog, because it'd have to be another Belgian Malinois or Dutch Shepherd - aka, a HIGH energy and HIGH maintenance animal!

Lately out in the woods, I have had some CLOSE encounters with bear and LARGE cougar, so a big dog would be good to have my back. Especially at night, which is when I have had most of my visitors outside of my tent.

Starting to look more at Akitas - a hound would be nice, but I've seen many of them disappear for good in the sticks when they get in a scent. Just not sure yet.

I hear ya man - I have been putting off getting another dog, because it'd have to be another Belgian Malinois or Dutch Shepherd - aka, a HIGH energy and HIGH maintenance animal!

Lately out in the woods, I have had some CLOSE encounters with bear and LARGE cougar, so a big dog would be good to have my back. Especially at night, which is when I have had most of my visitors outside of my tent.

Starting to look more at Akitas - a hound would be nice, seen many of them disappear for good in the sticks when they get in a scent. Just not sure yet.
Know what you mean about high energy / high maintenance critters. If I was using my Suburban more than my TJ, and i still ran a couple of miles a day, a pair of Huskies would be a no brainer...but I've had the youngest daughter's Husky in my TJ. There's no room for anything else in the back no matter how small he tries to make himself.

It doesn't bother me, much, when the beasts come sniffing around out in the woods at night. They're mostly just curious what a human is going out there after dark. (most of the snowflakes are gone once the sun goes down) That being said, a good dog sure does make an excellent early warning system. One of these days something is going to get a little too curious for my taste. Had a Cougar sniff my feet once up on Mt. Hood. That was enough.

You're so right on the hounds. (Field Beagle owner) If they catch a scent, they're just gone. Even really well trained ones. If they catch a scent and something runs, you can forget about ever finding them. At least I am, I'm not that good of a tracker.

Let me know what you find out about the Akitas. I hear that some of them develop attitude / personality problems sometimes.

Our 2 go most places with us, but at a combined 180lbs. of dog, room is at a premium. Our yellow lab is a senior, so not sure what we'll do when we lose him. I want to scale down to a smaller dog, and have no problem with rescues.

Our 2 go most places with us, but at a combined 180lbs. of dog, room is at a premium. Our yellow lab is a senior, so not sure what we'll do when we lose him. I want to scale down to a smaller dog, and have no problem with rescues.
It seems like a good mixed breed rescue dog is a better bet these days than most any breeders AKC registered pure bred whatever. Hmmm...maybe I need to look at rescue dogs further. Get the right mix and it could work out.

Reactions: bobthetj03
The TJ is such a great vehicle for a dog! I have an English Bulldog and he loves it in my Jeep. Bulldogs are great too, its like if I wanna hike a mountain he's game, if I wanna spend 18 hours in bed he's game. Loves life, especially when were rolling topless.

It seems like a good mixed breed rescue dog is a better bet these days than most any breeders AKC registered pure bred whatever. Hmmm...maybe I need to look at rescue dogs further. Get the right mix and it could work out.

I'm done with pure breeds. Our yellow lab is a great dog. Probably the best dog I've ever had, but he has come with genetic health issues as well.
Here she is when she was a pup.
IMG_2893.JPG

Now she's almost as big as the lab.

My avatar is my Border Collie in the back seat, we lost our Malinois before we got the Jeep.

A heeler is a good sturdy dog about the right size. Jagdterrier are a little smaller but supposed to be great field dogs.