Jeep Electrical Upgrade (Need Advise)

JamesAndTheSahara

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone! Lucky for me right as the other battery related thread was going on I was getting the 'ole famous voltage drop:

IMG_0254.JPG

I did the proper thing, took apart the battery terminals & cleaned them up real good. Started driving again, same issue (Issue appears immediately if the heat is on to any degree). Took the vehicle to Autozone and had them test the battery, everything checked out. They didn't have a tool to test the alternator (Really no meter?), so I will put a meter on it today to be sure (Be sure its the alternator and not the voltage regular in the PCM), but I know I have a project ahead of me. Thus let me begin this discussion:
  • I can replace the alternator with a remanufactured unit/aftermarket new unit and keep all the wiring the same (117A Alternator that came on AC equipped models). The accessories that push my system on the trail will be (in the future): Rear Locker, AC (lol), Warn 9.5CTI, & interior/exterior lights.
  • At this point, would it not be the time to upgrade to another alternator? Because of my Jeep being a 97-98 model, the standard 160A Durango swap is not an option. Although the 136A option is viable. If I upgraded the alternator, I would need to upgrade the wiring to a bigger gauge (Welding cable more than likely).
What I want to address, is in this situation I think the best course of action is upgrading to the 136A option & upgrading the wiring. I called a couple local battery shops/auto parts stores and none of them will do battery cables for me. They recommended I take it to a automotive repair shop to do so. I'm thinking I should upgrade the wiring myself and get a hydraulic crimping tool. Which leads me to my next question:
  • What gauge wiring do I upgrade the TJ to? What do I do about the fusible link? Do I just go with a big fuse in place of the fusible link?
  • If I go with a stock replacement 117A alternator, It seems very hard to find one that isn't OMIX. Not even Autozone carries the 117A.
I really appreciate any time or advice you guys may have for me. She started rough started, only a matter of time till it goes I'm sure.

Also, as you can tell there are a lot of uncertainties I have with the direction I go. If there is any misinformation in here or I did not reference something correctly let me know. I don't think this will be the only time this would ever come up.

Last edited:
What about that company linked in the "battery terminals" thread that custom make cables for our TJ's? They had options for HD size cables ready to go.

What about that company linked in the "battery terminals" thread that custom make cables for our TJ's? They had options for HD size cables ready to go.
I could go with way although I don't like how they have the wires routed in the photos:

wr_03_perfect_fit.jpg

If I am already going to need to buy quite a bit of cable to wire the winch, it makes sense to just buy the same cable to wire the battery myself while I am at it.

Reactions: bobthetj03