Jeep Gladiator: Hit or Hype?

This thread reminds me of all the sports pregame shows on every channel these days...they spend endless hours telling us what's going to, and not going to, happen, and why, before the event. They're usually wrong.

ChryFiatsler is making a big gamble, hoping to cash in on the Gladiator. We'll see when it hits the dealers' lots. I can make one prediction with 100% success - it won't be in my price range.

I friggin love it! After watching a bunch of videos on YouTube, and seeing all its features, I think Jeep did a great job with it. I'm not looking at it as a Jeep with a truck bed though, but a well optioned mid-size truck with removable doors and top. Who wouldn't want an open air truck that can tow 7,600lbs?
Now that we all know it’s the same length basically as the Taco who wouldn’t want a Jeep with a bed, and removable doors/top.

Reactions: derekmac
I hate the fact that it looks like a Wrangler with a truck bed on it... which doesn't look right to me. It looks like a stupidly long Jeep Wrangler... haha.

This is obviously just my opinion, but I cringe every time I see it. I'd take a Tacoma any day over it personally ;)

I just can't wrap my head around a Wrangler that is that long... it looks so disproportionate to me!

That’s what I find funny. That’s exactly what a Jeep truck should look like. The Scrambler was a CJ7 with a longer back end and a half cab. The Willy’s pick up was a Willy’s wagon with a bed on it. The J series pick ups were wagoneer with a bed. So, what would a modern Jeep truck look like? A wrangler with a bed.

As for size? It’s the same size as the Tacoma and Colorado.

That’s what I find funny. That’s exactly what a Jeep truck should look like. The Scrambler was a CJ7 with a longer back end and a half cab. The Willy’s pick up was a Willy’s wagon with a bed on it. The J series pick ups were wagoneer with a bed. So, what would a modern Jeep truck look like? A wrangler with a bed.

As for size? It’s the same size as the Tacoma and Colorado.
It’s not a TJ, and it’s new so it won’t get much love here. I still prefer the TJs looks to the newer stuff, but the JT is flat out a cool new vehicle in the jeep lineup. I’d have one of those instead of the JL.

It’s not a TJ, and it’s new so it won’t get much love here. I still prefer the TJs looks to the newer stuff, but the JT is flat out a cool new vehicle in the jeep lineup. I’d have one of those instead of the JL.

Absolutely I’d love a TJ truck. But the JL is far better looking than the JK. And the JT is just bad ass in so many ways.
It’s more than a wrangler with a bed. It’s a truck with a JL front end. Best towing in its class. Only mid size truck with a solid axle up front. Every trim level gets Dana 44 front and rear. Diesel option. Currently the Colorado is the only one with a diesel. All the awesome features of a wrangler. Top and doors bring removable. I mean really, it’s the best and coolest mid size truck. Ever.

My buddies and I have been discussing the gladiator the last couple days through text. we're 50/50. I'm firmly in the Fugly camp. Its not the size that turns me off, its the proportions. The rear wheels look too far forward, I don't like how the flare crosses over into the cab area. It doesn't look cohesive enough...looks like a garage hack job....or more appropriately, it looks like the factory didn't want to spend the money to stretch the wheelbase correctly for a pickup so they just figured out how to tack a pickup bed on it. They would have been better off converting the unlimited model to an open bed, similar to what Chevy did with the Suburban / Avalanche vehicles.

I also found this...which sums it up. The H3T didn't sell well either...
1543763808365.png

THIS is what they should have built...Still my favorite Jeep truck...

1543763878187.png

For the record...I don't like scramblers either...I think they look just as dis-proportioned at the new one.

Last edited:
What looks off as far as the proportions? I would much rather see a 2 door than the 4 door myself, but I’m just curious what looks off.
Mainly the length and how it's styled I guess. I'm really not a fan of very large vehicles.

What also bothers me is it doesn't feel very refined, just kinda slapped together. The back door is still notched for the wheel that is no longer there, for example.

Mainly the length with how it's styled I guess. I'm really not a fan of very large vehicles.

What also bothers me is it doesn't feel very refined, just kinda slapped together. The back door is still notched for the wheel that is no longer there, for example.
The designer talks about that in his press release. Wanted to keep the styling from the wrangler he says. It’s the same on the 4 door jeeps, and it’s the same on the Brute double cab. I think it saved them a ton of money with not having to make all new doors lol

Reactions: psrivats
The designer talks about that in his press release. Wanted to keep the styling from the wrangler he says. It’s the same on the 4 door jeeps, and it’s the same on the Brute double cab. I think it saved them a ton of money with not having to make all new doors lol
I can understand and will agree with that, auto manufacturers are cheap and will do anything to save money! I just think for what they're gonna charge for these it wouldn't have been too much to ask ;)

I looked at a Ridgeline last night (in a mall shopping with the wife and daughters). I think I could talk the wife into a Ridgeline (we don't need a third row anymore), but the Gladiator would be more difficult.

I do like the Gladiator, and it would be useful for my needs.

THIS is what they should have built...Still my favorite Jeep truck...

That concept truck looked so much better than the new one. I liked that truck a lot.

828542CV2005_001.jpg

That said, I like the old scramblers too but they are no match to the new ones in capability.

5534.jpg

I wonder if people would have had same comments about a factory LJ style truck.

I can understand and will agree with that, auto manufacturers are cheap and will do anything to save money! I just think for what they're gonna charge for these it wouldn't have been too much to ask ;)
Silver lining is the aftermaket companies wont have to make multiple style doors / half doors.

Its unique in the midsize truck segment, that's for sure, I like that they built it as a truck and not just a JLU with a bed.

Just like the JLUs I'd have a tough time beating it up on the trail, that's one of the reasons I love having a TJ, it's not the end of the world if something happens to it.