Jeep Gun

I've got a sweet little Marlin 336SS that I really like. Has a Bushnell (sp?) scope on it. I bought it at a pawn shop a number of years ago. Thing looked like it had hardly been used. Unfortunately, I don't use it much, myself. With my knees, I don't hunt. I've toyed with the idea of selling it. Would love to see it get some real use. I don't remember what the barrel length is...

Reactions: StG58
I've got a sweet little Marlin 336SS that I really like. Has a Bushnell (sp?) scope on it. I bought it at a pawn shop a number of years ago. Thing looked like it had hardly been used. Unfortunately, I don't use it much, myself. With my knees, I don't hunt. I've toyed with the idea of selling it. Would love to see it get some real use. I don't remember what the barrel length is...
Is it a 30-30? I hear that the Marlin 336 is a nice rifle. Put together better than the Marlin Guide Gun.

Is it a 30-30? I hear that the Marlin 336 is a nice rifle. Put together better than the Marlin Guide Gun.
Yep. It's a 30-30. I've only put about 40 rounds through it myself at a Redneck Christmas Gathering a bunch of relatives were throwing (tarps, turkey fryers, 4-wheel drives, and guns all down by a river. Awesome good time!)

Reactions: StG58
Yep. It's a 30-30. I've only put about 40 rounds through it myself at a Redneck Christmas Gathering a bunch of relatives were throwing (tarps, turkey fryers, 4-wheel drives, and guns all down by a river. Awesome good time!)
That sounds like a riot of a time! I think the PC term for redneck is ruralist...just kidding.

Henry's are nice, American made guns, but I'm having a hard time liking them. I'll take another look though. Do you know if you can run a 45-70 round in 405 grain, cast RNFP, up to about 1,600 to 1,800 fps in one? That gives me about the perfect velocity at impact for Elk hunting in the brush. It's hotter than factory, but nothing too overboard. Deer and just normal messing around would be a 350 grain RNFP at 1,300 - 1,400 fps and almost anything except an original trap door will handle that.

Keltecs are pretty cool, but wouldn't work for me. I'm looking for something that will pop everything from pine cones to Elk out to about 150 yards or so. A general purpose carbine, if you will.

PLR-16 with a trijicon dot

https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/plr-16

Very accurate. Loud as hell. Manageable. 223/5.56, M855 or M193 in any round mag you prefer.

Gunsmith student's opinion: marlin 336 rifles are excellent especially in the budget category. Very well built rifles and few drawbacks.

Older marlins without the cross bolt safety are quite saught after and command premiums for many collectors and hunters alike. They also were built better than the current ones but the current run of the mill marlin is a fine rifle.

One thing I do not like: their rifling style. I do not like the micro groove.

I do favor the older 1894 rifles.

Looking at another option, how about an H&R Topper in 45-70? They're a decent gun for a little money. If it gets banged around it won't bother you much.
Even though it's a single shot, it has a brass ejector that THROWS the empty out while you're grabbing a reload. As a bonus, you can have multiple barrels fitted to it for different calibers.

Wish I could own a FN C1A1 FN FAL But up here in the GWN they are considered a prohibited firearm. So only way is to be grandfathered into one(which can't happen anymore) or own a dewat. And no shooting on the range unless you are a dealer,etc.

So back to your quest, my new favorite jeep gun is the Papa of the Ruger 10/22. It a tube fed .44 remington magnum Carbine by Ruger. Holds 5 rds yada yada. Good for close range and has the stopping power to STOP things. :) But down in the States maybe the newer magazine fed Deerfield Carbine would be better. They are like the proverbial hens teeth up here. I also kike the old tried and true Lee Enfield No4. Sporterized of course. Cheap up here. Just keep trying till you find one you like? Cartridge is about even with the .308 Winchester so it has some omph (and a 10 rd magazine:) Or a 5 or 3 if your hunting. Stay away from Promag magazines for this rifle, not well known for proper functioning.

Wish I could own a FN C1A1 FN FAL But up here in the GWN they are considered a prohibited firearm. So only way is to be grandfathered into one(which can't happen anymore) or own a dewat. And no shooting on the range unless you are a dealer,etc.

So back to your quest, my new favorite jeep gun is the Papa of the Ruger 10/22. It a tube fed .44 remington magnum Carbine by Ruger. Holds 5 rds yada yada. Good for close range and has the stopping power to STOP things. :) But down in the States maybe the newer magazine fed Deerfield Carbine would be better. They are like the proverbial hens teeth up here. I also kike the old tried and true Lee Enfield No4. Sporterized of course. Cheap up here. Just keep trying till you find one you like? Cartridge is about even with the .308 Winchester so it has some omph (and a 10 rd magazine:) Or a 5 or 3 if your hunting. Stay away from Promag magazines for this rifle, not well known for proper functioning.
I have something similar, a lever action 44 Marlin carbine. I usually shoot 240 gr through it. Perfect pig hunting gun when hunting with dogs, I've put a lot of P!ssed off big boars down with that rifle. It ends it quick!

Not a c1a1! Century guns suck! Their quality control is poor at best and the "gunsmiths" are really "great" at head spacing and fitting the parts correctly. Don't buy a century.

No I mean a "REAL" FN C1A1 7.62 rifle. Made in Canada back in the day. Not a Century Arms named ripoff one :)
Even a FN L1A1 would do with the short canadian body cover and folding trigger guard (winter use) oh and a Extra Long stock and the rotating rear sight instead of the slider

No I mean a "REAL" FN C1A1 7.62 rifle. Made in Canada back in the day. Not a Century Arms named ripoff one :)
Even a FN L1A1 would do with the short canadian body cover and folding trigger guard (winter use) oh and a Extra Long stock and the rotating rear sight instead of the slider
Haha right my bad I forgot Canada made FALs. My apologies.

I've been chasing a Jeep gun for a year or so now, and still haven't actually purchased one. (long story)

Was looking at a Rossi R92 lever gun to go with my revolver, and then Rossi stopped importing. Bummed me right out. Oh well.

Looked at a Marlin Guide Gun, and handled several. Meh. Not thrilled with the side eject or the fit, finish and balance.

Handled a Pedersoli 86/71. Wow! everything about that lever gun was just about perfect, except for the barrel length. At 24", it put it over the 40" max length I was looking for. Went out to the Pedersoli web site and they make Guide Master and Hog Buster versions with 19" barrels that was 38" length over all. Perfect! Started looking for one for sale and Cabelas had several Guide Masters in stock on line. Whoo-hoo! On sale too! Double Whoo-hoo! Ordered one up, and got an e-mail back that said the order was canceled. Say what!? Sorry, not carrying them any longer. OK, that's why they were 50% off. Bummed me right out. Went looking for another source and about died! $2,500!!! When they are available; most dealers are out of stock with no estimated future delivery date. In any event, that's a LOT of coin for a truck gun, right?

OK, maybe a different lever gun, not in stainless steel. Checked out a Winchester Model 94 in 38-55. Nice rifle. But, it's right on the lower end of what is going to work ethically for brush hunting Elk. Deer? No problemo, but shooting an Elk with one is pushing it. Doable, but...

Now I'm starting to think that a lever gun just may not work out. That bummed me out, as I had my heart set on a nice big bore lever gun to throw in the TJ when I head out.

Checked out the bolt guns and came across the Ruger Guide Gun. Stainless? Check. Carbine length? Check. Big bore? Nope, at least not in a caliber that any reasonable person would pack around in the Coast Range for general utility. They do come in 30-06 though, and that caliber is never wrong. There's a possibility, but not a thrilling one. There's other scout and guide style carbine length bolt rifles out there that run from the ridiculous to the sublime, but nothing thrilling.

If anyone has any ideas, here's what I'm looking for: Stainless construction. Big Bore (.375 Win to 45-70). Lever action preferable, but a 30-06 bolt gun may do the trick if I have to. No longer than 40" long, over all. Composite or laminate stock, but a more traditional wood stock will work as long as it isn't covered in synthetic junk. I need to be able to treat it with BLO to make it weather resistant.

Anyway, that's my rant for the month.

Maybe a Taylor Alaskan. .44 mag stainless steel takedown lever gun with a compact 16" barrel and fiber optic sights.

Reactions: lowranger
As for my personal choices in Jeep guns, if I am offroading with a chance I will be in the woods overnight I carry a stainless steel revolver in either .357 mag or .44 mag (depending on the largest critter in those particular woods) as well as a stainless steel Ruger 10/22 takedown. I have started placing high importance in a stainless firearm for field use - probably because of the high humidity and rainfall where I go. If I don't have the 10/22 takedown with me I will usually have a stainless .22 revolver in my pack for utility purposes.

I bought a Marlin 336SS in .30-30 as a truck/Jeep gun project. I want to turn it into a 16.5" barreled handy little utility rifle like a stainless version of the 336Y youth model. I figured that would make a nifty little gun. I have another Marlin 336C I have had since I was 16 (yes that has been a looooong time in case you are wondering) and it will continue to serve as my deer/hog hunting rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
As for my personal choices in Jeep guns, if I am offroading with a chance I will be in the woods overnight I carry a stainless steel revolver in either .357 mag or .44 mag (depending on the largest critter in those particular woods) as well as a stainless steel Ruger 10/22 takedown. I have started placing high importance in a stainless firearm for field use - probably because of the high humidity and rainfall where I go. If I don't have the 10/22 takedown with me I will usually have a stainless .22 revolver in my pack for utility purposes.

I bought a Marlin 336SS in .30-30 as a truck/Jeep gun project. I want to turn it into a 16.5" barreled handy little utility rifle like a stainless version of the 336Y youth model. I figured that would make a nifty little gun. I have another Marlin 336C I have had since I was 16 (yes that has been a looooong time in case you are wondering) and it will continue to serve as my deer/hog hunting rifle.
I have a Marlin 336SS in .30-.30, as well. Also a Ruger SP101 stainless in .357, and a 1979 Ruger Standard (Mark I). I definitely like your choice of firearms. :)