Jeep guns

Nope, I don't have that one, although I've been fortunate enough to fondle a Rolling Block that was chambered for it. I may also have a .43 Egyptian cartridge laying around somewhere.

Do you have a .219 Donaldson Wasp? Half credit will be issued for a Zipper.

No bonus points, but you get cool points for looking it up. I'm not sure if I'll go with that or not, but yeah... it's fitting.
Reminton Rolling Blocks intrigue the crap out of me. I've fiddled with a couple and almost bought a repro carbine in 357 mag for the wife as a walk about gun. The real buffalo hunter's rifle. Simple and accurate.

Yup, heard of both. No brass in the collection for them though. I found a piece of 218 Bee brass laying around and added it to the collection. That was kinda cool. Still have my granddad' s 25-20 pump in the safe. The barrel is marked "Special Smokeless Steel". It's display only now. The barrel is shot out. The early small caliber pistols and rifles are cool. Not my thing, but cool none the less.

I'm more of a big bore person. Life starts at 8mm and gets interesting at 38-55. 40 caliber plus is my specialty. Have a 45 x 2-1/2 Express that Ive been playing with for years. (458 Win Mag) Cast and paper patched exclusivly. Fun times. Better velocity, unneeded, and much better accuracy. At about 14 pounds all up it's not something that's fun to pack around in the woods though.

I'd love to build a target rifle on a Ruger #1 action in 405 Winchester. Shoot paper patched out of it. Unfortunately, it would be stupid expensive and not very practical.

Reminton Rolling Blocks intrigue the crap out of me. I've fiddled with a couple and almost bought a repro carbine in 357 mag for the wife as a walk about gun. The real buffalo hunter's rifle. Simple and accurate.

Yup, heard of both. No brass in the collection for them though. I found a piece of 218 Bee brass laying around and added it to the collection. That was kinda cool. Still have my granddad' s 25-20 pump in the safe. The barrel is marked "Special Smokeless Steel". It's display only now. The barrel is shot out. The early small caliber pistols and rifles are cool. Not my thing, but cool none the less.

I'm more of a big bore person. Life starts at 8mm and gets interesting at 38-55. 40 caliber plus is my specialty. Have a 45 x 2-1/2 Express that Ive been playing with for years. (458 Win Mag) Cast and paper patched exclusivly. Fun times. Better velocity, unneeded, and much better accuracy. At about 14 pounds all up it's not something that's fun to pack around in the woods though.

I'd love to build a target rifle on a Ruger #1 action in 405 Winchester. Shoot paper patched out of it. Unfortunately, it would be stupid expensive and not very practical.

I have reloading dies and brass for the .218 Bee. And a barrel for it. ;)

If you like .38-55 and haven't done so already, you should play with the .375 Winchester; I have a Marlin chambered for it, and I shoot that gun better than just about any other...excerpting a Model 1895 chambered in .30-40 Krag. I have never shot the .45-95 - I'm pretty sure that's the other name for the .45 by 2.5" - but I have a .50-140 that you're welcome to plink with, should you ever be around my corner of the surface.

You're not going to believe this, but no more than a month ago I saw a No.1 with a heavy round-to-tapered octagon barrel chambered in .405 laying on a table for sale. I recall the gun clearly, but I don't recall the price; I think it was up around $2500, but the wood was high-grade and the finish was flawless.

Last edited:
I have reloading dies and brass for the .218 Bee. And a barrel for it. ;)

If you like .38-55 and haven't done so already, you should play with the .375 Winchester; I have a Marlin chambered for it, and I shoot that gun better than just about any other...excerpting a Model 1895 chambered in .30-40 Krag. I have never shot the .45-95 - I'm pretty sure that's the other name for the .45 by 2.5" - but I have a .50-140 that you're welcome to plink with, should you ever be around my corner of the surface.

You're not going to believe this, but no more than a month ago I saw a No.1 with a heavy round-to-tapered octagon barrel chambered in .405 laying on a table for sale. I recall the gun clearly, but I don't recall the price; I think it was up around $2500, but it the wood was high-grade and the finish was flawless.
Very cool. With a barrel and a machinest buddy, and dies, do I see a rifle or pistol in 218 Bee in your future? That cartridge looks to be just begging to be shot out of a Contender or someting like that.

375 Winchester is a good, all around medium bore. The writers in the gun rags killed it though by stressing what a fine short range brush gun it was. Actually has a better chamber design than the 38-55. The geometry works for cast and jacketed unlike the 38-55, which was a pure paper patched target round originally. Ballard design. That thing can be a cast iron bitch to get to shoot. Once you do though, it's accurate waaay out there.

I started with 45-90 data and worked up from there. After messing around for awhile it was pretty clear that shooting a belted magnum case with smokeless powder and cast bullets was way to much of a good thing. The terminal ballistics sucked. Think taping a grenade to the side of an Elk sort of suckage. I had to drop the velocity almost a thousand fps to get it to work for hunting. A 45-70 does that velocity easily with the exact same bullets. Long range targets are another story. Think Shilo Sharps on steroids.

Oh man, that would have been incredibly tempting for me. 90% of the work already done? Glad you saw that #1 and not me. The wife would have killed me and taken it away to shoot herself. She sometimes hunts with her #3 in 45-70, and plinks with it a lot. And she likes that barrel style. And #1's. Ya, I would have lost that one for sure.

That 50-140 sounds like a monster...do you make brass from 50 basic? Starline?

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Well, the barrel in question is a Contender barrel, so it doesn't take much to get that one up and going. ;)

While we're on the subject of Contenders: ever seen a .460 Jurras?

Grenading an elk is indicative of an absurd amount of energy...but I have no doubt that you can easily achieve that in a case that's longer than the .45-70 by an appreciable degree. There's just not enough mass in the target to hold up to the impact. The .50-140 is the same kind of thing; it's just so powerful that it becomes a liability. I believe all of the cases are old Starlines; there's so much capacity that you don't have to load it excessively, so they last forever.

Reactions: StG58
Nope. What's a 460 Jurras? Sounds interesting. Is it a wildcat?

Excessive energy...lol...right!? Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Handles a bit higher pressure in a bolt gun as well. I've since toned it down a whole bunch, and got an 1895 for hunting and kicking around. Still shoot that CZ Safari gun for shits and giggles. Pull it out when a young guy wants to shoot something with a little recoil to it. I let them keep the brass as a souvenir. Fireformed 300 Win Mag brass that people leave laying around. I keep my good Hornady brass for long range target shooting.

I better clarify my 45x2-1/2" (458) cast velocity claims. Paper patched 350 grain to over 2,600 fps and paper patched 405 grain to just over 2,400 fps. Accuracy started to go away pushing them much faster, though there was still room to go pressure wise.

Very cool. With a barrel and a machinest buddy, and dies, do I see a rifle or pistol in 218 Bee in your future? That cartridge looks to be just begging to be shot out of a Contender or someting like that.

375 Winchester is a good, all around medium bore. The writers in the gun rags killed it though by stressing what a fine short range brush gun it was. Actually has a better chamber design than the 38-55. The geometry works for cast and jacketed unlike the 38-55, which was a pure paper patched target round originally. Ballard design. That thing can be a cast iron bitch to get to shoot. Once you do though, it's accurate waaay out there.

I started with 45-90 data and worked up from there. After messing around for awhile it was pretty clear that shooting a belted magnum case with smokeless powder and cast bullets was way to much of a good thing. The terminal ballistics sucked. Think taping a grenade to the side of an Elk sort of suckage. I had to drop the velocity almost a thousand fps to get it to work for hunting. A 45-70 does that velocity easily with the exact same bullets. Long range targets are another story. Think Shilo Sharps on steroids.

Oh man, that would have been incredibly tempting for me. 90% of the work already done? Glad you saw that #1 and not me. The wife would have killed me and taken it away to shoot herself. She sometimes hunts with her #3 in 45-70, and plinks with it a lot. And she likes that barrel style. And #1's. Ya, I would have lost that one for sure.

That 50-140 sounds like a monster...do you make brass from 50 basic? Starline?
my 38-55 is from 1902, not very modern

Reactions: StG58 and Twopoint
my 38-55 is from 1902, not very modern
Lever gun or single shot? The 38-55 / 375's are way under appreciated as general purpose rifles. Everyone thinks high velocity is required these days...sad.

Oh, here's pictures of that Jurras Howda that @Sundowner was talking about. I had to look it up. Very cool stuff. Check out the history of Howda pistols if you get curious. Tiger hunting in India. Sometimes the Tiger didn't take too kindly to that and would try to peel you off the back of the Elephant. Back in the black powder days.

The .460 Jurras is fourth from the left, below.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Model 94, paid $100 for it from my Uncle in 1985...I wanted a 45-70 but he had a bunch of guns stolen and the 4570 was one of them.

Lever gun or single shot? The 38-55 / 375's are way under appreciated as general purpose rifles. Everyone thinks high velocity is required these days...sad.

Oh, here's pictures of that Jurras Howda that @Sundowner was talking about. I had to look it up. Very cool stuff. Check out the history of Howda pistols if you get curious. Tiger hunting in India. Sometimes the Tiger didn't take too kindly to that and would try to peel you off the back of the Elephant. Back in the black powder days.
View attachment 83844
View attachment 83845
Nice!
My Howdah is a 20 gauge double barrel black powder

Model 94, paid $100 for it from my Uncle in 1985...I wanted a 45-70 but he had a bunch of guns stolen and the 4570 was one of them.
Very cool! If it's in good shape, it wouldn't be very hard to get it shooting again. You almost have to make your own ammo though. The dimensions were all over the place in 1902 for the 38-55.

I shoot it every few years, the last deer I shot was just below the head in the neck, (out the truck window) it was laying down. Good eating deer. I have about 300 rounds of brass and about 200 loaded for it.

View attachment 83844
View attachment 83845
Beautiful guns...