Jeep half door upper options?

Mcswain03

New to jeeps. I have the sliding window uppers on right now that I’m not really a fan of. I’ve seen the soft top uppers as well but was curious if there were more half door upper options other than those two?

B15FBBF6-A9A4-4010-ADE5-8BD6BF52BC60.jpeg

They're called "full doors" gentlemen! LOL! ;) Keep fantasizing. ;)

I ran half doors. And if I had to run half doors I would go with glass sliders. So you can see out. Plastic is hard to see out of with it's distortion. With glass slider uppers you can see out. And you can easily open the window. Not so with plastic zip ones.

With full doors you have a complete 180 degree view. Those are the top option imho. They seal up better. And you can actually see out the sides fully. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Often times it comes down to what you like the looks of better. I've read lots of guys running half doors. But not sure how many do during northern winter months. If your glass sliders aren't leaking. And you like half doors. I'd stick with what you've got. If your not happy with them or they are leaking. Get full doors. You won't regret it. But alot of guys run half doors and love them.

Reactions: Dyl
I have both sets, though when I put my half doors on I run them with NO uppers; don't even OWN any half door uppers for that matter...

As a goof one time, I put the full door on the passenger side and left the half door on the driver's side, then I took it to my local Cars & Coffee - not ONE comment! People really ARE oblivious...

Reactions: Fonz54
I have both sets, though when I put my half doors on I run them with NO uppers; don't even OWN any half door uppers for that matter...

As a goof one time, I put the full door on the passenger side and left the half door on the driver's side, then I took it to my local Cars & Coffee - not ONE comment! People really ARE oblivious...

San Clemente? Are you in the Corps? I was stationed in the Marine Corps at Camp Mateo back in the early 80's. I really liked that town. Besides the fact that they justifiably hated Marines. lol. My wife and I lived in town for a summer. And the beaches were terrific. Although San Onofre with it's $10 a night mobile homes was the hook up. That beach was super nice.

I think your use of half doors is wise. Running them with the plastic windows is just not safe. I can't tell you how many people I almost ran over at crosswalks. You literally can't see what is to your left and right. It's super annoying. I really can't see running half doors unless it's without windows in the summer. Then I see the benefit. They are great as second doors. But really I'll just roll my window down in my full door if I want open space in my doorway. lol.

Nope, just a 63 year old retired geezer who's wife still works; she works so *I* don't have to! Plus, it's rumored that I don't play well with others, but my mantra is "Never CONVICTED"...

Reactions: lindsey97
Nope, just a 63 year old retired geezer who's wife still works; she works so *I* don't have to! Plus, it's rumored that I don't play well with others, but my mantra is "Never CONVICTED"...

Well it's a nice town to live in. Very clean and safe as I recall. I stopped there twice over the last few years. But never really spent much time. It seemed just as nice.

I have full doors and the zipper uppers for my half doors. I don't like zipping them down much and they bug me when inside the Jeep when down. I might not like the sliders are heavier, because I just take my soft uppers off and put them in the back most of the time. Guess I will have a look and see if I like the idea. Price seems good.

I also have both doors, I run the full in the winter and switch in the spring to late fall. I hate doing trials with the full doors as my vision is limited compared to looking out and down with the half doors. I also have the uppers and hardly ever use them, unless its cold out on in the early mornings driving to the trails. Once I get to the trails they come off. It is surprising how much more shoulder room there is with the half doors and uppers than there is with the full doors. Now if it's going to be a beautiful day I may run with no doors at all.

Reactions: RussTJ
Without hijacking the thread, could I ask for the opinion of those who have the soft uppers? How well do they seal, meaning at the door surround? Do you have to tweak them for a perfect fit?

Reason I ask is I bought new skins, and then some new skin frames from a different eBay seller. Thought they were a good deal ($48 shipped) until I installed them, they won't fully seat onto the half door, and the top won't fit the door surround. I know it's the frames, I have seen pics of others installed and they fit like a glove.

What brand frames should I have bought? Bestop?

Without hijacking the thread, could I ask for the opinion of those who have the soft uppers? How well do they seal, meaning at the door surround? Do you have to tweak them for a perfect fit?

Reason I ask is I bought new skins, and then some new skin frames from a different eBay seller. Thought they were a good deal ($48 shipped) until I installed them, they won't fully seat onto the half door, and the top won't fit the door surround. I know it's the frames, I have seen pics of others installed and they fit like a glove.

What brand frames should I have bought? Bestop?
For fitment, if you have a Bestop top its going to be better in the long run to match it with Bestop uppers.

Not to say one cant mix and match brands. Although, IMO, the fitment would be mix and match as well.

Reactions: lindsey97
My uppers don't even come close to sealing at the bottom. I would guess the frame is my problem.Everything thing else is pretty tight though. And since I rarely have them on, it doesn't bother me at all.