Jeep hauler—finally pulled the trigger

AMS417

"The Ayatollah of rock and rolla"
Supporting Member
I've been obsessing over overlanding rigs, campers, RV's and trailers for months. We like to travel and experience new places. After a recent trip to Hot Springs Arkansas with a few buddies I decided there is no way I am going to continue driving hours or more away with no spares, no trailer, and no help if we break the Jeep or have an accident. At the park in Hot Springs 3 of us drove our rigs. One TJ broke a rear driveshaft and luckily we found a friendly enthusiast with a spare we could buy. It was a 1330 shaft yoke though and the Jeep we needed to fix was 1310 yoke. After several trips to the auto parts store we found the bastard combo joint we needed and fixed the broke Jeep in the rain at almost midnight.

This trip and the breakdown spurred me into action. I was initially going to buy a small tandem axle trailer (16-18ft) to haul the jeep, and maybe a class C or A later. Running the numbers on storage, insurance, and maintenance for an RV it looks intimidating. RV's and campers are built so cheap and the quality is very poor overall. I know some big name RVs are a little better but even then there are no standards. While looking for trailers I stumbled upon the trailer below.

30ft, 12ft enclosed, 18ft open. Triple 5200# axles, insulated walls with a 50 amp service and roof ac. Just add furniture and cabinets. Maybe a porta potty and some upgrades later but it something i can build on. Upgraded aluminum skin, lighting everywhere too. For about the cost of a new pop up camper.

What do you guys think? I want to travel, and see some stuff in my Jeep. I just don't want to drive it there and risk being stranded with a pissed off wife he hates tent camping.

I put a deposit on it, and pick up next week. Was going to custom order one, but they are 4-5 months behind on building them.

https://www.outlawtrailers.net/2021-outlaw-trailers-8-SiUi|2yh.html

That’s awesome. Build to your taste.

The other option I’ve seen is goose neck and mounting a slide in camper over the gooseneck and keeping an open deck for the Jeep

Reactions: Ron505
That’s awesome. Build to your taste.

The other option I’ve seen is goose neck and mounting a slide in camper over the gooseneck and keeping an open deck for the Jeep
Yup, thought of that as well, but I have a new 1500 I don't really want to trade in for a 3/4 to pull a 5th wheel. This trailer is 5150# with my Jeep I will be just over 9k or about what my boat weighs. I have no issues towing the boat. I may need some helper bags and a WD hitch for long journeys but hoping three axles helps me carry the weight. The truck mount camper / gooseneck combo looks a little redneck but I hear it works well. Cost wise I think this is still better. Plus no crappy camper construction to worry about water damage and poor quality materials.

My tow rig is a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport with 12k tow cap and 1600# payload. If I can stay under 11k on the trailer and 900# on the tongue it should pull ok. I see 8-10% for a triple axle is about ideal for tongue. The trailer has three braking axles, so stopping should be no issue. I am installing an OEM brake controller (one of the few options my truck didn't come with) and having the dealer flash it when I take the truck in for a recall on the wiper arms. Dealer wanted $300 parts and $200 labor. I got OEM parts from Ebay for $139, they will flash it for $69 while I have it in the shop. Install takes about 30 mins, all plug and play.

Just but new 8 ply BFG KO2 on the truck too. I won them in a sales contest at work :love:.

If you didn’t already pull the trigger on the OEM brake controller, have you considered the after market?

I don’t know much about it the difference. But my coworker who runs multiple trailers for his side gig swears by the tekonsha P3. Installed one instead of his OEM

If you didn’t already pull the trigger on the OEM brake controller, have you considered the after market?

I don’t know much about it the difference. But my coworker who runs multiple trailers for his side gig swears by the tekonsha P3. Installed one instead of his OEM
I did consider the P3, my wife use to work for a trailer parts wholesaler and Tekonsha makes great stuff. With the integrated controller the sensor is able to determine pedal pressure and is better in panic braking or light braking situations over a timer or inertia type sensor. Plus I like the position being in dash versus under dash if I even need to apply the brakes manually. About the same price too.

That's a neat trailer, essentially what I'd call a "Van" placed onto the front of a large flatbed. Never saw anything like it, clever idea!

Reactions: AMS417
That's quite a nice trailer. I like that it has a space that could be used as a sleeping quarters or even an on-board shop if you needed.
Yup, that's the whole idea. I have plans to build a camper interior using good parts. First addition will be exterior 110v outlets on the rear and passenger side. From there it's up to the wife to submit a list of demands, and for me to tell her why she can't have it because it's too expensive or too heavy. Will pick up a cheap Predator 3500 generator next time they go on sale. Plan to keep it all electric just to eliminate propane as an additional system. She can using camping bottles if she wants to cook with gas. No cooking or smoking in the camper, only exception is the microwave or toaster.

Reactions: Ron505
That's a neat trailer, essentially what I'd call a "Van" placed onto the front of a large flatbed. Never saw anything like it, clever idea!
They are popular with dirt track race car drivers so they can power wash the car while it's on the trailer. You can get them built completely outfitted with a camper interior. I didn't want to pay their prices for that, or wait 4-6 months for delivery. For the price, I think it's pretty cool. Already has AC and Heat.

Reactions: Ron505 and Zorba
Yup, that's the whole idea. I have plans to build a camper interior using good parts. First addition will be exterior 110v outlets on the rear and passenger side. From there it's up to the wife to submit a list of demands, and for me to tell her why she can't have it because it's too expensive or too heavy. Will pick up a cheap Predator 3500 generator next time they go on sale. Plan to keep it all electric just to eliminate propane as an additional system. She can using camping bottles if she wants to cook with gas. No cooking or smoking in the camper, only exception is the microwave or toaster.

That's really awesome! I wish I had the money because I would love to do something just like this. Of course I'd need a truck to tow it as well, but just imagine the fun you could have! And the best part is, if you do break it, you don't have to worry about how you're going to get it back.

Reactions: Ron505 and AMS417
this is awesome, ill tell you once you start trailering to your wheeling destinations you'll never want to go back to driving your rig to the trail and back. The piece of mind knowing you have a way to get it home if something goes wrong is a godsend. (not to mention a TJ is a terrible vehicle for road trips with 2 kids in carseats) I just upgraded from my last setup (pictured)
IMG_20190601_172413886.jpg
to the new truck and camper (also pictured)
IMG_20200920_145254953_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201014_065238584_HDR.jpg
the new camper hasn't even made it on the new truck yet, just got all the parts to attach them in the mail. Old truck was HURTIN bringing that thing home.

I'll add my $0.02 worth.....

I understand they rate your truck to tow 12K lbs but that is with all the proper equipment. And yes a WD hitch in mandatory for you to safely tow that trailer with your Jeep on it. I'm not a huge fan of 1/2 ton trucks towing that much weight BUT I have a 1 ton and it's rated to tow 31K which just blows my mind. That is what I use to haul in a semi trailer as a truck driver. That is a great looking trailer and I like the idea a lot.

I had one of those Red Neck Toy Haulers/RNTH with the camper on the GN trailer and it works great but again I wouldn't do it with a 1/2 ton truck. matter of fact I did one trip with a single rear wheel truck and traded it for a dual rear wheeled truck.

this is awesome, ill tell you once you start trailering to your wheeling destinations you'll never want to go back to driving your rig to the trail and back. The piece of mind knowing you have a way to get it home if something goes wrong is a godsend. (not to mention a TJ is a terrible vehicle for road trips with 2 kids in carseats) I just upgraded from my last setup (pictured) View attachment 201073to the new truck and camper (also pictured)View attachment 201081View attachment 201082 the new camper hasn't even made it on the new truck yet, just got all the parts to attach them in the mail. Old truck was HURTIN bringing that thing home.
Awesome rig, and upgrade! Looking forward to the 18 hour round trip drive to pick the trailer up. Set to go get it Nov 13th and 14th.

Reactions: Bigmac and Wildman
I'll add my $0.02 worth.....

I understand they rate your truck to tow 12K lbs but that is with all the proper equipment. And yes a WD hitch in mandatory for you to safely tow that trailer with your Jeep on it. I'm not a huge fan of 1/2 ton trucks towing that much weight BUT I have a 1 ton and it's rated to tow 31K which just blows my mind. That is what I use to haul in a semi trailer as a truck driver. That is a great looking trailer and I like the idea a lot.

I had one of those Red Neck Toy Haulers/RNTH with the camper on the GN trailer and it works great but again I wouldn't do it with a 1/2 ton truck. matter of fact I did one trip with a single rear wheel truck and traded it for a dual rear wheeled truck.
I get it. With the three brake axles the WD hitch and some balancing to get the tongue weight right I think it will be both within the trucks rating, and safe. I dont drive fast when I tow heavy, 65 max. The rating I listed are sticker ratings for the truck as equipped. Not just the manufacturer blanket ratings. Would it tow better with a 3/4 or 1 ton, no doubt. When things get back to normal, and I pay back my savings I am spending for the trailer I might upgrade.

The trailer is actually de-rated to avoid DOT. It has triple 7k axles. They de-rated it to 5200's and stickered it as such.

View attachment 201084

View attachment 201085

View attachment 201086

This was my old setup. Works great and the trailer you are getting is a great idea. I looked at them recently but they are all on the east coast area it seems and that is a long drive for me. So I'll most likely build another RNTH.
considering going this route at some point but i might also get stationed on the east coast again soon. pretty hard to find a good spot to park something like this in areas like uwharrie and other good spots on the east coast.

awesome rig man.

View attachment 201084

View attachment 201085

View attachment 201086

This was my old setup. Works great and the trailer you are getting is a great idea. I looked at them recently but they are all on the east coast area it seems and that is a long drive for me. So I'll most likely build another RNTH.
hey just for s&g what's the length of your floorplan on that camper and the length of the GN? If i could id go a couple feet shorter on the GN with a triple axle. maybe i wouldn't actually gain that much length. Mines a arcticfox 811, think its a 8 1/2 foot floorplan.

sorry OP for the hijack...

Reactions: Wildman
considering going this route at some point but i might also get stationed on the east coast again soon. pretty hard to find a good spot to park something like this in areas like uwharrie and other good spots on the east coast.

awesome rig man.

It was only a 35' GN with a 27' deck. This is something I have been trying to get people to answer for me as I want to start traveling soon hauling my Jeep & Harley. One option is to sell my current truck and get a Ram 5500 so I can haul a camper and tow a 24' trailer or build another RNTH.

It was a Adventurer with a single slide and 10.5' floor plan.

Reactions: Ron505 and Bigmac
It was only a 35' GN with a 27' deck. This is something I have been trying to get people to answer for me as I want to start traveling soon hauling my Jeep & Harley. One option is to sell my current truck and get a Ram 5500 so I can haul a camper and tow a 24' trailer or build another RNTH.

It was a Adventurer with a single slide and 10.5' floor plan.
Just buy a retired OTR truck and a ramp trail already. Good friend of mine just came off the road and kept his truck just for that. Its paid for and has a newer engine. His APU and DPF is all newer too. Converting the double sleeper and adding a tandem axle ramp trailer to haul two jeeps. He registered it in Missouri as an RV and his insurance is way cheap now. His wife owns a storage business, they keep it inside. I would keep my trailer there but they live 1.2 hours away. He wants to come to Moab, but has an XJ so you guys will shun him.

Just buy a retired OTR truck and a ramp trail already. Good friend of mine just came off the road and kept his truck just for that. Its paid for and has a newer engine. His APU and DPF is all newer too. Converting the double sleeper and adding a tandem axle ramp trailer to haul two jeeps. He registered it in Missouri as an RV and his insurance is way cheap now. His wife owns a storage business, they keep it inside. I would keep my trailer there but they live 1.2 hours away. He wants to come to Moab, but has an XJ so you guys will shun him.

Yep been told that TONS of times. But I don't want an cab that I have two steps to climb up into. Believe me I have gone over all this many times with myself. With my amputation if for some reason I can't wear my prosthetic and needed to get to a doctor I can still get in the cab of my Ram. But I can't get into the cab of a FL or KW or any other OTR truck.

Reactions: AMS417