Jeep hauler—finally pulled the trigger

1982 Turbo. I "restored" it. It was a SW car so no rust, but the paint was toast. I repainted with some help from my father in-law, new tires, suspension, fixed everything and made it look and drive like new. My wife HATED this car. I sold it to some hippies during the bio-diesel craze. They hand painted murals over my brand new paint job. Broke even on it though aside from all my time. It has 500k on it when the ODO stopped working. I fixed that too before I sold it.

View attachment 202723
HA! Wife isn't particularly fond of my 300SD either. True story: She had a '91 T-bird when I had the '74 240D (W115). I hated that T-Bird, and she hated my Mercedes! But we needed to have the T-Bird repainted, it was going to be gone for 2 weeks, so she had the choice of driving the MBZ, or the '87 F-250 Diesel. "I'm gonna have EVERYBODY on my ass in that putt-putt" she yelled about the 240D. I told her "Trust me on this one, nobody but NOBODY is gonna be on your ass in that car!".

By the end of the 2 weeks, she got to where she kinda liked the MBZ, she liked how it drove on the freeway - and nope, nobody ever tailgated her! :D

HA! Wife isn't particularly fond of my 300SD either. True story: She had a '91 T-bird when I had the '74 240D (W115). I hated that T-Bird, and she hated my Mercedes! But we needed to have the T-Bird repainted, it was going to be gone for 2 weeks, so she had the choice of driving the MBZ, or the '87 F-250 Diesel. "I'm gonna have EVERYBODY on my ass in that putt-putt" she yelled about the 240D. I told her "Trust me on this one, nobody but NOBODY is gonna be on your ass in that car!".

By the end of the 2 weeks, she got to where she kinda liked the MBZ, she liked how it drove on the freeway - and nope, nobody ever tailgated her! :D
Mine was not slow. Had a couple of fuel and timing mods, wastegate springs, just some small stuff. It would chirp second gear and pulled pretty hard. Big difference in a 240D, they have like 9 hp it seems.

Mine was not slow. Had a couple of fuel and timing mods, wastegate springs, just some small stuff. It would chirp second gear and pulled pretty hard. Big difference in a 240D, they have like 9 hp it seems.
68 vs 120 for a 300D w/turbo. That's why I laugh at these guys here who complain about the Jeep 4.0 being "underpowered". I never really had any problem driving the 240D - I grew up with, and learned to drive on a '71 220D, 65HP. You have to know how to drive them, but those old 4 pot naturally aspirated diesels would flat get up and haul ass once you wound them up!

Last edited:
5.7 Hemi with 3.92 gears (lowest gearing you can get in a 1500)

Today I had the brake controller programmed. Stealership wanted $500 parts and labor for OEM. I got the OEM parts off ebay from a Ram Dealership for $139 and self installed in about 20 minutes, really easy job. Local dealer charged $90 to set it up while it was in the shop for recalls on the radio software and wiper blades (recall on wiper blades? WTF?). Now I have OEM dash mounted trailer brakes and memory for multiple trailers. Also got an appraisal for my truck while in the dealer. They will give $40k, about $3k less than I paid last August. Not too bad. Guess I bought it right at least?

Looked at two 2500 trucks.

Option 1, Ram 2500 6.4 gas with 8 speed and 4.10 gears. Max payload 3063.99, max towing 17063.99 $54k -ish out the door. Has most the bells and whistles mine has, but no panoramic sunroof. Will miss that.

Option 2. Ram 2500 6.7 diesel with 6 speed and 3.73 gears. Max payload 2235.01, max towing 19235.01. $64k -ish out the door. Has less bells and whistles and is nearly 10k more.

Cummins engine is a $9300 upgrade on sticker price. Plus increased fuel cost, DEF, higher maintenance, but better resale. If I do this it will most likely be a gaser. Either way, have to sell the wife on the idea. Could finance trade difference on the gas truck (my trade fully paid for) for 36 months @ 0% or about $390 a month for three years to upgrade.

Heading to Chattanooga Friday (18 hr round trip). Will test tow the Jeep Sunday with no other gear in the trailer and report back.
It's good to have your options figured out beforehand. Have you considered looking into used trucks? I lucked out and found a 5 year old Cummins with only 45k miles. I purchased an extended warranty to cover all of the emissions crap that can go wrong. I assume you'll be daily-driving the truck? You make good points about the diesel vs/ gasser but, also consider the cost of fuel for daily driving. Fuel economy can add up quickly depending on your daily routine.

Looking forward to hearing your report after towing on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
It's good to have your options figured out beforehand. Have you considered looking into used trucks? I lucked out and found a 5 year old Cummins with only 45k miles. I purchased an extended warranty to cover all of the emissions crap that can go wrong. I assume you'll be daily-driving the truck? You make good points about the diesel vs/ gasser but, also consider the cost of fuel for daily driving. Fuel economy can add up quickly depending on your daily routine.

Looking forward to hearing your report after towing on Sunday.
I have considered used, but only 2019 and up. I get a vehicle allowance from my job that only pays on qualified vehicles. Must be less than 5 model years old or I get a penalty and pay tax on the allowance (a large part of why I trade regularly). I ran some numbers today doing a basic cost comparison for gas / diesel using anecdotal fuel economy data. I think it will be a wash for fuel cost or close to it with the diesel returning higher economy, but with a more expensive fuel. The maintenance, and upfront cost are what has to be made up for. If I could retain $5k of the premium in resale value above a gas engine it would take me 200k miles to break even. I'll never own the truck that long.

I do daily my truck, but work from home mostly. When I go into the field I fly anything over 400 miles away.

If I upgrade, it'll probably be a new 2020 or 2021 2500 6.4 gas truck. Unless a stellar deal on a diesel falls my way. Until then the 1500 will serve. Bring the empty trailer home at 5140# should not be any issue. With the Jeep on the back it will be under 10k and I am ok with that for 2-4 hour trips. Were we will run into problems is if I build out the camper portion and add a couple 1000 pounds and try to cross the Rockies.

I have considered used, but only 2019 and up. I get a vehicle allowance from my job that only pays on qualified vehicles. Must be less than 5 model years old or I get a penalty and pay tax on the allowance (a large part of why I trade regularly). I ran some numbers today doing a basic cost comparison for gas / diesel using anecdotal fuel economy data. I think it will be a wash for fuel cost or close to it with the diesel returning higher economy, but with a more expensive fuel. The maintenance, and upfront cost are what has to be made up for. If I could retain $5k of the premium in resale value above a gas engine it would take me 200k miles to break even. I'll never own the truck that long.

I do daily my truck, but work from home mostly. When I go into the field I fly anything over 400 miles away.

If I upgrade, it'll probably be a new 2020 or 2021 2500 6.4 gas truck. Unless a stellar deal on a diesel falls my way. Until then the 1500 will serve. Bring the empty trailer home at 5140# should not be any issue. With the Jeep on the back it will be under 10k and I am ok with that for 2-4 hour trips. Were we will run into problems is if I build out the camper portion and add a couple 1000 pounds and try to cross the Rockies.
I was considering a diesel but it would be my winter daily and I’m only 1.7 miles from my office. I’d never even warm it up.

Reactions: AMS417
I was considering a diesel but it would be my winter daily and I’m only 1.7 miles from my office. I’d never even warm it up.
We also have my wife's car, which I don't mind driving if we need better economy. 2014 Grand Cherokee limited with only 60k on it. She's had it since new, and does not want a new one yet. Waiting on the new body Grand Cherokee to see if she likes it.

Reactions: Apparition
I had a 2001 Ram 2500 w/5.9 CTD
Then a 2003 Ram 3500 w/5.9 CTD
Then a 2004 Chevy K3500 Rear steer w/6.0 Gas
Then a 2008 Ram 3500 dually w/6.7 CTD
And now a 2018 Ram 3500 Dually w/6.7 CTD

Unless you are gunna be towing a lot don't worry about a diesel at this point. I'd get a 2500 ASAP and if you watch for a slightly used one get a Power Wagon model while you are at it.

I had a 2001 Ram 2500 w/5.9 CTD
Then a 2003 Ram 3500 w/5.9 CTD
Then a 2004 Chevy K3500 Rear steer w/6.0 Gas
Then a 2008 Ram 3500 dually w/6.7 CTD
And now a 2018 Ram 3500 Dually w/6.7 CTD

Unless you are gunna be towing a lot don't worry about a diesel at this point. I'd get a 2500 ASAP and if you watch for a slightly used one get a Power Wagon model while you are at it.
Power Wagon is rated to tow about as much as my 1500. Here is the one I tentatively have picked out. Has off-road pack, 4.10 gears. 3k payload 17k tow.

https://www.lauracdjr.com/new/Ram/2020-Ram-2500-Near+St+Louis-3bed9e200a0e0a6b423573fa63a39401.htm

Reactions: SvtLdr
I recently rented a new 2500 with the 6.4 HEMI. Really nice truck, Lot's of power!

Plus you can't go wrong with the Granite Crystal color!

Well that's good to know. I'd only read about them but never looked at what the towing ability was.

Nice truck.
They reduced the rating a lot due to the lift and soft suspension. That was the first truck I looked at. They are sharp.

Reactions: Wildman
I think we all grew up being told that driving a vehicle only short distances is not good for it. My sister lives less than 1 mile from work and goes home for lunch every day. They live in a small town where everything is close. She's been doing that for decades. My brother in law is a mechanic and says there has never been an issue with the very short trips.

I think we all grew up being told that driving a vehicle only short distances is not good for it. My sister lives less than 1 mile from work and goes home for lunch every day. They live in a small town where everything is close. She's been doing that for decades. My brother in law is a mechanic and says there has never been an issue with the very short trips.
The problem is the emissions stuff on the diesel. No big deal for a gas engine.

Reactions: Wildman
It’s got the capacity unlike the power wagon
True, not a Ford guys and the price is a little out of my budget. I like the Ram interior and styling. I’ve had good luck with reliability aside from some silly recalls for software and stuff. Had a third brake light recall on my 2014. No breakdowns or issues with either 1500. Spoke to a friend today who tows a 41’ fifth wheel with a 2500 6.4. He’s at 17,500#. He said he will buy gas again when he trades. Had nothing but praises for the 6.4.

They reduced the rating a lot due to the lift and soft suspension. That was the first truck I looked at. They are sharp.

That 's too bad they did that but I guess someone knows why. Hopefully your current rig will suffice for now and then when you're ready pull the trigger on a 3/4 or 1 ton.