Jeep Hauler / Camper Build

AMS417

"The Ayatollah of rock and rolla"
Supporting Member
I've decided to do a build thread on my Jeep Hauler / Camper project. First time doing a "build thread" and I don't remember to take pictures most of the time so hang in there if this get off track. Trying to improve a weakness here, and practice might help. If so, maybe I will start documenting my Jeeps journey better.

This project started with my wife and I wanting to be able to do more camping and wheeling trips but we both really don't enjoy tent camping. Especially in the humidity of the hellscape we call summer here in the Midwest. So we started looking for options that we could tow with the TJ. The TJ's towing capacity being only 2000lbs didn't leave a lot of solid choices that fit our needs. We looked at pop up campers, and lightweight teardrop options eventually conceding that anything that could be towed by the TJ was not going to be a fit. Besides if we broke the Jeep and couldn't source parts right away we would be in a real bind potentially far from home. We starting looking at options to tow the Jeep, truck mount campers looked interesting but our 1/2 ton truck was not up to the task of carrying a camper and a Jeep on a trailer. We moved on to RV's both A and C Class. Lots of option, but price and maintenance was a concern. Construction quality on the RV's we viewed also did match the price in my mind. Not a lot of value and potentially sky high repairs. Lots of 5-10 year old units with delamination and water damage.

Finally I found some crawler hauler style trailers from Sundowner and man are they nice, but really more than we needed and the $80k+ price tag was out of my budget. Some more searching and I found Hybrid style trailers used for race cars and other motorsports enthusiasts. Seemed like it could be a fit if we designed and built it out ourselves. So last November we picked up a 30 foot Hybrid trailer built by Spartan. It has a 15k BTU roof air / heat unit, 3 windows installed, a 36" entry door, upgraded aluminum sheeting outside (thicker material), and is finished inside with painted aluminum panels. It was wired for 50 amp generator power and has 110v power plumbed to 4 outlets inside with a 12v system for the interior and exterior lighting.

Inside its 96" wide, with 6'9" ceilings. The box is nearly 12' along the flat wall with a 2' v-nose. So about 8'x14' overall in the living area. The rear deck is just over 18' long and 102" wide (max you can have without a permit). Overall the trailer is 36' long tip to tail and weighs about 5500lbs empty.

MTFC3589.JPEG

We drove over 600 miles each way to Loudon Tennessee to pick it up and negotiated a fair price. I also upgraded to a Ram 2500 truck which will tow this, and our boat a lot better than the old 1/2 ton. I had the seller remove the generator rack from the tongue, and add a spare tire mount in its place. I also added an electric tongue jack. Once we got it home it was time for vacation, and the trailer sat unused over the holidays.

IMG_5704.JPG

Here is the Jeep loaded up and headed out to the trails last weekend. It pulls great, and really isn't to bad to maneuver with a little foresight and planning.

IMG_5757.JPG

I recently started off the refit by ripping out the shore power, since it was set up for a tongue mounted generator. I also relocated the battery to fit in better with the layout I am planning and added in a 12v battery disconnect switch to prevent parasitic drain if I forget to turn something off. This also disabled the electric jack so no one can mess with it while its stored.

IMG_5735.JPG

Next came the flooring. My wife was not a fan of the rubberized treadplate design, and it is a little hard to clean. She elected to have me install a nice thick vinyl plank. Which really wasn't hard to do at all. I did have to run it over the rubber flooring since the manufacturer used a glue that made it all but impossible to remove.

IMG_5791.JPG

The next phase of construction brings us current with today. I have been accumulating parts and pieces to complete the mechanical workings as well as the bed and kitchen. Below you can see where I was simulating the bed frame with blue tape to start arranging the items that will be installed under the bed hidden from view. The 30 gallon freshwater tank and 6 gallon water heater as well as the water pump and filter. I will plumb in winterization drains and service access will be from under the bed when it is extended. The bed will slide in to transform into a futon and give us back some floor space when needed. It will be 33.5x80 when pushed in, and 60x80 (standard queen) when extended.

IMG_5792.JPG

Finally, I drilled the 2.5" hole through the wall to install the shore power hook up. It will be a standard RV twist lock plug. I repurposed the 50amp generator cord that came with the trailer by installing a new 50amp RV connector. The service will enter under the bed and is a 6/4 wire with an abrasion sleeve added for extra security. I filled the wall gap with firm expanding foam and grabbed some stainless screws that will attach the connector to the exterior wall. We have a couple of open slots in the breaker panel for 110v to add the water heater and extra outlets for the kitchen and about 20 12v socket to add the pump, aux lighting and other gizmos. A 50amp panel was a big deal since I want this trailer to be 100% electric. Adding propane as another system was not something I wanted to do.

I plan to start building the sliding bed frame this week. This will allow me to start plumbing and installing components in preparation for the custom cabinets I have on order. They should arrive in a couple of weeks. They are a blue gray color my wife chose, and I don't think I will like them. Will see what you guys think we they get here.

More to come soon.

IMG_5793.JPG

Last edited:
Take a look on Pinterest for some great ideas. (2127) Pinterest there are a ton of different examples. I know you have a good plan already laid out but you might see something you want to use in your build.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing this finished.

Reactions: AMS417
Take a look on Pinterest for some great ideas. (2127) Pinterest there are a ton of different examples. I know you have a good plan already laid out but you might see something you want to use in your build.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing this finished.
I have looked until my eyes bleed. So many ideas.

So, I am not a carpenter. Not even close, but I do own a few tools from flipping houses and I have learned to do a lot of my own work. Still, I am lacking space and you can see we are working with what we have here.

The plan, build the bed frame with all the structure in the perimeter to make room for the water tank and other items. Its all 2x4 with mostly 3" deck screws, lots and lots of screws. All connections are glued as well. All holes are predrilled. Its 32x81 and will be mounted in the corner and attached into two walls and the floor. All the mechanical will live in this space aside from the electrical panel and battery. The slats and the pull out will be added after the mechanical work is wrapped up. I have plans to position the drains and critical items near the access. Any major repair work will require removal of some of the slats. Once completed it will be wrapped in either decorative bead board, or nice ply and then trimmed out and painted. Pull handles will be added for the pull out sections. Extended it will be 60x81. Retracted something like 33.5x81.

Here is the start. On the floor, in half of my garage. The trailer is taking up half my driveway. You can see what stayed inside, my TJ. Wife's car is out in the snow. She's not happy.

Boards are all cut to length. Starting to build the two frames.

IMG_5806.JPG

First frame complete.

IMG_5813.JPG

Second frame went faster. Three 3" screws in each joint with wood glue.

IMG_5814.JPG

Starting to join the frames with interior braces. Will add stiffeners to face out the frame after.

IMG_5815.JPG

Poor planning strikes again, I ran out of 2x4. The Lowes is like a mile away, but they didn't have much to choose from the day I went and I only got 8 2x4x8's since they only had a handful of decent boards left. They were like $6 each too. Crazy times.

Here the main base is almost finished.

Next step, add the remaining stiffeners and install. Start working through the plumbing next.

Not much but its progress.

IMG_5817.JPG

Small update, been busy with work and getting ready for a Jeep adventure locally tomorrow.

Got the bed frame base finished up and installed. Had to remove an electrical outlet that was going to be blocked by the bed. Tied in some 14/2 and will relocate the outlet to the bed end when ready to finish it out.

IMG_5820.JPG

Also added the fittings to the water tank and mocked it up so I could locate and drill the 3.5" hole through the trailer side for the water tank fill dish (just feels wrong to drill big holes in a new trailer). Tank is almost ready to install, I have to cut some bedding to support it since it has a 1" sump at the service end.

You might wonder why the interior supports don't go all the way to the top of the frame. Its to allow the board that will tie all the sliding slats together room to move. It will act as a stop when the bed is fully extended, and prevent the slat from pulling out.

IMG_5819.JPG

Finally shimmed out the bed since neither the trailer or the bed are perfectly square. Bed frame is now secured to the trailer walls. Need a couple "L" brackets to screw the front of the bed to the floor. Will be working on plumbing and bed slats Sunday. Have Jeep plans for tomorrow ending in a birthday party for a buddy of mine. He wants to go axe throwing, never been, looks lame but they have beer so who knows?

IMG_5818.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
Some slow progress today. Almost ready to install the cabinets, they should be done soon.

Got the shore power in and ready to mount, found my tube of clear exterior sealant had dried up. Its in and hooked up temporarily. Will need to pull and seal it up tomorrow. Wiring will have to be disconnected and ran inside the kitchen cabinets once installed. Still got to test out the heater, so much better working with heat when its 30F outside.

IMG_5821.JPG

Same for the water fill. I went with a gravity fill, a 30 gallon tank should give us enough for a day or two. We can refill the tank as needed when we are near a hose bib. Having a pressure system adds a few complications, I didn't see the need for it. It could be easily added if I change my mind. My system uses a 12v pump with internal regulator and pressure bypass. I bought a good pump, according to the reviews, and the luck I have had with the same model in my boat, which is pretty much a small RV that floats.

IMG_5824.JPG

Installed most of the plumbing, wired in an outlet and pigtailed everything out to run through the cabinets. Ordered my cabinets built with the drawers stopping 3" from hitting the back wall. That will give me enough room to route all the plumbing and electrical.

My phone makes it look way out of square, it isn't.

IMG_5826.JPG

Messy work area. Doing plumbing, framing, and electrical work makes a lot of clutter.

IMG_5825.JPG

Finally found some time to work on the trailer since returning from Mexico last Sunday. With the weather and our trip I have not been inclined or available to do much of anything but work and there is plenty of that going on. The Mexico trip was half vacation, half doctors visits for my wife. I ended up seeing a doctor during the trip too, but it was unplanned. Had some work related stress issues manifest in the physical and had to get some help. All good now, but have to manage my stress level better. Working half days while on full day PTO will do that to a guy.

Tied up all the loose ends inside the bed box, tested the water lines under pressure and found only one leak on the fill hose when the tank is over full. Swapped out the hose and fitting to solve that issue. Water heater, pump, and the outlet at the bed end are all wired and pigtailed out to run beneath the cabinets that I have sitting here in my office. That will be the next task, possibly this weekend. The tank and water heater are both strapped down with cross braces and secured from moving on any axis.

IMG_5835.JPG

Built this whole thing with 2x4 which is overkill, but I toss and turn at night and I'm a pretty big guy at 6'3" and 320lbs and I wanted it solid. I am losing weight, don't judge me to harshly. I plan to get to 250lbs again as a goal.

IMG_5834.JPG

Here is the semi finished product in "futon" configuration. Once the cabinets are installed I will wrap it with paneling or shiplap and trim, caulk, and paint it. Should look good when finished out.

IMG_5838.JPG

When pulled out it makes into a standard residential queen platform. The void underneath when pulled out will allow access to the drain valves for the tank, water heater, and water strainer. I can winterize this system in about 5 mins. I put soft furniture sliders on the bottom of the pull out leg to prevent scratching the floor. I can slide it open and closed with one hand. Not bad for my first attempt. Though I think I could do it better the second time, even though I never want to build another one.

Once it is finished out I will add a couple pull handles to make it easier for my wife to use. Will update cabinet progress soon. Looks like we are pulling the trailer to central Kansas Friday to look at an LJ. Should be a fun 10 hour round trip.

IMG_5839.JPG

Only just found this thread, good read. I also think the design of the bed is really clever. As for over engineering, got to be better than under engineering!

Reactions: AMS417
Searched for a while to find a storage box to mount rear of the cargo box. Plenty of room with the Jeep balancing the weight it’s never too far forward. Finally settled on a deck storage box like folks use on boat docks. It 60” wide and I can lay down inside it with the lid closed. Should be good enough for most my camping shit. Best part is it was $175.

Only issue it’s not very secure with this little plastic lock loop.

FAFAD493-5155-41C7-8E7A-86507A122108.jpeg

So I made some redneck anti theft modifications. Added a 7” clasp with fender washers and nylon lock nuts. Should deter the riffraff.

Will mount it tomorrow with carriage bolts through the trailer decking.

BA6C8578-BE6F-4D49-BC93-96912F3D372C.jpeg

0A2A273B-000C-4FB6-8C03-6B3CD8AC79AC.jpeg

That is great, also you don't appear to be a small man, I would love something like this, I would have to get ride of the tundra first.

That is great, also you don't appear to be a small man, I would love something like this, I would have to get ride of the tundra first.
Yeah, I'm a large dude at 6'3" and about 320lbs. A healthy fat guy, I still get around good. Actively losing weight running in circles fixing Jeeps and building a camper. Not even halfway done with this thing. Just wait until its finished. I have some cool ideas if I can make them all work out.

Snowing and raining today and I didn't have much motivation. Wife wanted outlets for the kitchen area, I didn't want to pull wires through the insulated walls and try to deal with all that. Found a creative solution. Wired in a GFI outlet under the sink and installed this:

IMG_5950.JPG

Press down, and pull up and ta-da! Outlets and USB's. Neat huh?

IMG_5951.JPG

Starting building the corner shelving next, and paneling the bed. Need to install an exterior outlet up on the tongue too so our buddies can share power when they tent camp with us. Lots to do next week if I have time. Big wheeling adventure next weekend.