Jeep / hiking backpack

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I'm really militant about keeping the contents of the Jeep organized and contained. I also spend a fair bit of time out in the brush. Keeping all of my personal gear and camping gear organized has been making me crazy lately. When I was at REI Sunday, I decided to check out a new backpack. Wow, just...WOW!

The new technology backpacks are simply amazing.

Here's what I came up with:
2a33f567-580b-430e-af03-f8b0334a2293.jpg

It's an Osprey Atmos 50. Lifetime warranty, if it ever breaks or wears the company will rebuild or replace it. It's a pain to get adjusted, and you need to select the correct size, but just WOW! Good ventilation on the back, excellent load carrying capacity, doesn't move while you have it on and lightweight. I put 30# of sandbags in it and hiked it around for awhile. Easy-peasy, and very comfortable. You can bend and twist with no interference from the pack at all.

The only issue so far is where and how to carry my revolver with the pack on.

Reactions: JMT
Osprey is the real deal! I have three of their packs, day, overnight, multi day backpack.

Below is my over night pack
image.jpg

Does yours use the Velcro panel on the back for adjustment? The one I've shown the pic does. You're right, it can be difficult to separate the Velcro and keep it separated while adjusting the torso length. I use a thin piece of Masonite, I think it used to be a clipboard in its previous life. You use that to separate the Velcro and hold the two panels apart while you make the adjustments.

Reactions: Twopoint and StG58
I fit my .45 holster right onto my pack where I can reach it. I have a day pack that I hike with that doesn't interfere with the waist strap.

I bought my wife an osprey pack for Christmas, she loves it. They build nice stuff.

Reactions: StG58
Osprey is the real deal! I have three of their packs, day, overnight, multi day backpack.

Does yours use the Velcro panel on the back for adjustment? The one I've shown the pic does. You're right, it can be difficult to separate the Velcro and keep it separated while adjusting the torso length. I use a thin piece of Masonite, I think it used to be a clipboard in its previous life. You use that to separate the Velcro and hold the two panels apart while you make the adjustments.

No, the new suspension system uses two clamp type fittings, one on each side, to adjust the distance between the shoulder straps and the waist belt. Hard to see, but once you figure out how they work, they work pretty well. Lots of velcro in other places to adjust stuff though.

I fit my .45 holster right onto my pack where I can reach it. I have a day pack that I hike with that doesn't interfere with the waist strap.

I bought my wife an osprey pack for Christmas, she loves it. They build nice stuff.

Duh, why didn't I think of that? Thanks! Now to play with holsters and loctions...

The go to pistol conceal carry chest pack is Hill People Gear. These small chest packs for pistols are the best you can get. And they fit right under your pack. I also carry survival gear, gloves, gps, knife etc in mine. Great for hiking and wheeling.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

Also that's a great pack you chose. I have a Gregory that is similar in 65L and it's great! New pack technology is amazing. Makes a big difference.

I discovered the Osprey packs a few years ago. Fantastic products; both the tech/design and warranty. I use the Manta 36 for hiking and love it.

The go to pistol conceal carry chest pack is Hill People Gear. These small chest packs for pistols are the best you can get. And they fit right under your pack. I also carry survival gear, gloves, gps, knife etc in mine. Great for hiking and wheeling.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

Also that's a great pack you chose. I have a Gregory that is similar in 65L and it's great! New pack technology is amazing. Makes a big difference.
The Hill People Gear Kit Bag is a great piece of gear. I use it for mountain biking and I’ve used it for hiking when I forgot my gun belt (oops).

View attachment 75327
THAT I've got to check out! Think a Ruger Super Blackhawk would fit? There's times when I hunt Elk with my Blackhawk and I'm deep in the pucker brush where that would come in really handy. Of course, then, I'd need to figure out how to get a 1,000# bull packed out. I'm not as young as I once was...

THAT I've got to check out! Think a Ruger Super Blackhawk would fit? There's times when I hunt Elk with my Blackhawk and I'm deep in the pucker brush where that would come in really handy. Of course, then, I'd need to figure out how to get a 1,000# bull packed out. I'm not as young as I once was...

They make different sizes. Widely recognized as the best - if not one of the best - hiking conceal carry options out there. Check out the rest of their gear too. Some very unique products. There forum is frequented by the owners. You can get alot of info from there.

I’m not familiar with the Super Blackhawk. If I remember correctly, my Glock 19 fit fine but the Glock 17 did not.

HPG Kit Bag is a fantastic piece of kit. What length barrel on your Blackhawk? IIRC the Original Kit Bag will up to a 6" SW 44mag.