Jeep hit my kid head-on today

Pokahpolice

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Pulling up and seeing this is by far the scariest thing I’ve ever done as a parent. Luckily, everyone is somehow ok.

The driver of the Jeep was arrested for OUI. They don’t think he was drinking but he was a fucking mess. The guy behind him called 911 5mins before the crash because he almost took out multiple people.
1EA749E1-2C6B-4C6C-8BE9-04D02FA2E859.jpeg
2E1B17B7-0102-46A4-B1FF-9474658FB0A3.jpeg
8854C456-2C98-4296-8B1E-2118382AF4E9.jpeg

I'm glad your kid is ok.
I'll call mine a double ditto.

I know the car looks really bad. I'm just glad that it not only had crumple zones and airbags galore but that the Jeep being higher probably added some time and stretched out the "immediate" part of stop.

I'll call mine a double ditto.

I know the car looks really bad. I'm just glad that it not only had crumple zones and airbags galore but that the Jeep being higher probably added some time and stretched out the "immediate" part of stop.

My buddies busted my balls for buying my 17 year old son a BMW after wrecking my wife’s old Lexus SUV we gave him but there is something to be said about these high end cars and safety. This collision was so hard that the glass from the windshield cut up his hands like shrapnel. It pushed in the entire dashboard about a foot, busted and dislodged the rear seat, and bowed the roof. The car crumbled exactly the way it was designed to and he walked away with just some superficial cuts.

This kid is killing us! Back in December he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a telephone pole head-on. What I wouldn’t give for a simple fender bender!

My buddies busted my balls for buying my 17 year old son a BMW after wrecking my wife’s old Lexus SUV we gave him but there is something to be said about these high end cars and safety. This collision was so hard that the glass from the windshield cut up his hands like shrapnel. It pushed in the entire dashboard about a foot, busted and dislodged the rear seat, and bowed the roof. The car crumbled exactly the way it was designed to and he walked away with just some superficial cuts.

This kid is killing us! Back in December he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a telephone pole head-on. What I wouldn’t give for a simple fender bender!
Damn right, that E90 worked as designed, glad he's alright.

When I drive people around in my old Mercury people almost always make a comment like "this thing is gigantic, if we got in a wreck it would destroy whatever it hit". Then I explain that while it would demolish another car all day long, it would probably stay the same shape & we would bounce around the inside until we died. Hell, I'd probably be impaled by the steering wheel.

BMWs are great cars, both from a performance standpoint, and safety.

Your sons Beemer looks just like my younger brothers. Black E90.

I'm glad he's ok. It sucks that you have to go through all the BS that comes with an accident like this, but at least you're not dealing with the hospital, or worse.

First, let me say that I’m glad your son wasn’t hurt. I hope you can get a good settlement from the insurance company.

That BMW does not look good compared to the Jeep. Maybe it looks that way by design, I.e., the previously mentioned crumple zones and a combination of the height of the Jeep bumper vs the lower BMW.

I was involved in a similar crash about 7 years ago. I had a 2003 Tahoe. I was stopped at a red light in the left hand turn lane. I got the protected green arrow and started into the turn, I was probably going 10 mph. A Nissan Titan pick-up ran the red light at about 55 mph and plowed me. The impact turned my Tahoe about 90 degrees and pushed me across 2 lanes of traffic onto an island. Both vehicles were totaled. But here’s the thing...none of the glass in either vehicle broke. No cracks, no breaks, no shatter.

Although this accident wasn’t his fault, I wouldn’t be buying my 17 y/o a high end vehicle with his driving history. He’d be riding a bicycle for a while until he could buy his own vehicle. A late model pick-up, or full size SUV...something with a lot of metal between him and the other guy. Gas mileage is overrated.

The Jeep may look better, but there's frame damage there. That's a total loss. And the only thing that saved the Jeep driver from serious injury was the airbag.

The BMW actually did very well. Being hit head on by something bigger and taller than you usually isn't something you walk away from. Looks like the passenger side took the worst of it, which is good news for the driver. The newer crumple zone vehicles do extremely well in head on collisions.

Glad your kid is ok, and I hope they throw the book at the bastard in the Jeep. My dad was killed in a very similar accident. Drunk driver, a long time ago, before airbags and crumple zones.