Jeep Hunter

Wrangriff

Hello ALL!

First off, I'm extremely happy that Jeep forums are not dead as this is a past time I've enjoyed in the other vehicles I've owned. I'm born and raised car guy, but this will be a new experience.

I'm on the hunt for a TJ. So far I seem to prefer the 04-06 LJ style, but I'm trying not to be picky. $10k-$11k budget. I've been learning a ton, and mostly... wow these hold their value.

The wife is on board and I learned that she use to trail ride back in the day with her Dad.

I'm 33 soon to be 34 and.. My commute is 70 miles roundtrip. May not be MPG my smartest move but I'm looking for smiles per gallon.

Currently 2016 Veloster Turbo- Wife 2017 Hyundai Tuscon
We will share the TJ.

My previous fun rides: From years ago
1994 300zx
1990 ZR-1 Corvette
1966 Corvette that we did a frame on resto

The Jeep will be completely different for me and the ones I've driven... THRILLED.

Thank you in advance for allowing me to join the family.

Griff

Reactions: Starrs and Chris
Welcome aboard. Look long and hard for a rust free example. Rust is the bane of any Jeep owner. Don't be afraid to widen the search to other states, primarily rust/salt free areas. Good Luck!

Reactions: Wrangriff
Welcome aboard. Look long and hard for a rust free example. Rust is the bane of any Jeep owner. Don't be afraid to widen the search to other states, primarily rust/salt free areas. Good Luck!

Good tips. I'm in the Midwest so it may be quite a hunt, but I'm not afraid. I'd like my first TJ to be around for quite some time.

Welcome. Look south and west, and you'll find one you can keep for a long while. Not to say there won't be any around you, just the pool will be less rust-free there...

Welcome. You will be hard pressed to find an LJ in that price range that's worth owning. Not saying they don't come up but it's not often. As the others have said, rust is the enemy. Watch for frames at the rear dog leg by the control arm brackets, and around the skid plate. Bodys tend to go in the torque boxes, the side just below the. Passanger door (don't know why but LJs do it) the passenger rear where the license plate is on the other side, and the seems between the rear quarters and the roll pan under the tailgate. As well as of course drivers floor.

Also have a look in Canada, Alberta and BC use very little salt so there are still some good ones. The prices up here are way lower than yours and your dollar is almost 30% higher than ours.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

My suggestion on looking for a TJ would be to look in states where there is little to no rust (i.e. the Southwest or the Pacific Northwest). Be prepared to travel if you find the right one, and keep in mind (as you already know), that a clean, low mileage TJ Rubicon (assuming you want a Rubicon) with little to no rust, will hold it's value very, very well (as you also already know). I paid 20k for mine which is a 2005 Rubicon with 50k miles.

I see them sell all day long here in the Pacific Northwest with no rust and low miles for anywhere from 20k to 25k. Keep in mind these are very, very clean examples of TJs though, and you get what you pay for.

The nice thing about it though is that they hold value so well (in good condition of course), that you never really have to worry about losing any money on buying one of them, seriously. With these things, you tend to even get most of the money back that you put into mods, which can't be said for some vehicles!

Last of all, welcome to the forum! Forums are not dead, and this one is going strong as ever. You'll find we've got a great bunch of folks here, all who are very helpful and kind. If you need any help with any TJs you might find, feel free to post them up on the forum and we'll all be happy to give you opinions on them.

Make sure that if you are looking at ones in other states, that the owners send you detailed photos of the frame and underside before going to look at it. I'd never, ever go to look at a TJ for sale without seeing photos of the underside first.

Awesome advice above! If you do social media search out the group “LJ Nation” and their for sale page “LJ Nation - Public Page”. Lots of LJ info and Jeeps for sale there. I used the Autotrader app to buy mine a few years ago and was willing to travel to find mine, but got lucky and it was just a state away. Good luck with your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

80,000 Miles

Price is going to be right where I need it. Around $10.5k

I’m a little worried about the frame rust by where the control arm connects.

Hardtop comes with.

Thoughts?

D1803010-DB8E-45A8-A130-6971D6B0F96D.png

A3663D9F-6CC7-4C5A-AA34-51325B1C28EE.png

D84D1630-FA19-4E9A-B7EF-ED248F0EA0AA.png

07462DCE-7092-4550-BCEE-0C668429E0B4.png

F45071ED-477C-407D-B4AB-41168C89D5A6.png

8FF63241-0CA6-4D8C-85DE-4DBF6E5C3065.png

92100BCE-F943-4E11-8498-573D2D8051EE.png

My previous fun rides: From years ago
1994 300zx
1990 ZR-1 Corvette
1966 Corvette that we did a frame on resto

The Jeep will be completely different for me and the ones I've driven... THRILLED.

Thank you in advance for allowing me to join the family.

Griff
You're "slowing down" huh?
TJs will force you to slow down and stop frequently... at gas stations.

Even tho I'm in SoCal, I saw one really rusty Jeep when I was shopping a couple months ago for my TJ. Underbody was lousy with rust spots. And I can't even begin to describe how scary the separation on the rear swingarm mount was. It was hanging by a thread. Looking at it I had to figure the repair was goimg to be an expensive and difficult job, because you can't weld something back on to rust, and that's all there was around it.

I'd say go look at this rusty Jeep. Take your time and review all the trouble spots and get to know what it's like being under something you want to run away from. That way you'll know better what to look for when you find a good one.

All very good points that are reminding me to be patient.

I’m starting to look in Arizona, Nashville and Florida.

I’m Chicago it’s nice till about Octoberish so hoping I’m the next month I’ll find the one.

Thank you so much again and I’ll keep you posted.

Which forum do you think I can use to discuss future candidates? General?