Jeep is leaking oil, what could the problem be?

RizwanTj

My jeep tj 4.0 is standing still for a week and leaking oil. It tends to leak more oil in hot weather and little to no oil leak in cold weather. What could be the problem?

My valve cover is very greasy but the car is still and leaking oil
Please help

Put a piece of cardboard underneath to help identify exactly where it is coming from. How certain are you that it is engine oil? And what do you call a leak? 1/2 qt? Teaspoon? 3 drops? Everybody has a different idea what constitutes a 'leak'.

Sir this is the leakage. This much oil has leaked in about 10 days.
i showed it to a mechanic he said the valve cover is leaking But the car has been stranded for 10 days an still leaking oil

E4AD67DC-EB27-4CBF-98CD-4CD5D8B28BE7.jpeg

E3EFCA04-B39C-4BFE-8C43-A74E74DBD221.jpeg

FB0770AE-9E00-45C7-91A9-15B0AE4DF8A0.jpeg

D6FCF8E7-FFB1-46C1-BC04-6761B1A4A0E8.jpeg

My bet is rear main seal. Very common in these Jeeps. Mine looked the same when the seal went. It’s possible it’s a valve cover leak. But, my money is on the rear main seal. Not horribly expensive to fix. It’s a split seal design. Transmission does not have to be removed. Exhaust has to be moved though.

Sir this is the leakage. This much oil has leaked in about 10 days.
i showed it to a mechanic he said the valve cover is leaking But the car has been stranded for 10 days an still leaking oil
View attachment 171027
Looking at this picture makes me feel that your mechanic is correct, the valve cover is leaking. It’s wet well above the height of the rear main seal.

I think it's more unusual to see a guy from Pakistan here than a TJ leaking oil.

What you see is considered the self lubricating anti frame rust system . Very popular over here.

Welcome to the forum, hope you and your family are well.

Tell us how you found a tj there, is it left or right hand drive, and do you have camels there.

Mine does the same thing, just not quite as much. If it sits for a few days there will be a few drops. My rear main seal is dry, have a small leak at the rear of the valve cover but it doesn't drip down, and the bottom of the engine is always wet with oil. I think mine is the front of the oil pan gasket, it drops from that front bolt.

It's hard to tell where it's coming from unless you clean it real good and then watch closely for where the leak is starting from.

Also, what kind of oil is in it? Should be high mileage conventional, with seal conditioner. If it's not, switch to that and see if the leak goes away.

I think it's more unusual to see a guy from Pakistan here than a TJ leaking oil.

What you see is considered the self lubricating anti frame rust system . Very popular over here.

Welcome to the forum, hope you and your family are well.

Tell us how you found a tj there, is it left or right hand drive, and do you have camels there.

Hahaha you’re right. I like jeeps and in order to know them better I ended up here. 😂
It’s very helpful
I’d like this anti rust system but only if it doesn’t stain my porch. You can find anything here, its a rhd and yes we have camels and a lot more

Reactions: AndyG
I
Mine does the same thing, just not quite as much. If it sits for a few days there will be a few drops. My rear main seal is dry, have a small leak at the rear of the valve cover but it doesn't drip down, and the bottom of the engine is always wet with oil. I think mine is the front of the oil pan gasket, it drops from that front bolt.

It's hard to tell where it's coming from unless you clean it real good and then watch closely for where the leak is starting from.

Also, what kind of oil is in it? Should be high mileage conventional, with seal conditioner. If it's not, switch to that and see if the leak goes away.
i put 5w40 synthetic this time
Around 100k miles driven.

Looking at this picture makes me feel that your mechanic is correct, the valve cover is leaking. It’s wet well above the height of the rear main seal.
But I’m confused why would it leak oil from the top (valve cover) when the engine is not running

It’s not leaking when it’s sitting still, what did leak is just making its way down from the valve cover. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules and therefore will leak more from an existing leak.

Reactions: Daryl
O
It’s not leaking when it’s sitting still, what did leak is just making its way down from the valve cover. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules and therefore will leak more from an existing leak.
oh ok.
in tempratures aroud 60F it leaks very little to no oil. And around 80 90F it leaks alot

Yeah, the 4.0 doesn't seem to care for synthetic. Swapping to high mileage conventional should help. Might not cure it 100% but should get it to where you can live with it.

Reactions: Squatch
Switch to conventional oil instead of synthetic. Replace the valve cover gasket first as it is easier and cheaper. If it still leaks, then go on to the rear main seal. Or just pretend you have an English car like a Jaguar or triumph as they always leak...lol..Welcome to the forum from New York!

Wecome aboard. There are a lot of Pakistanis here in the UAE. If you need parts, you might have a friend here that could send them to you. Also a lot of right hand drive Jeeps from Japan here for used parts. Definately switch to regular 10/30 oil.