Jeep JK coil springs on TJ

scrobert

Hey everyone,
This is my first post on this forum.

I have seen some posts about JK coil springs on Tj's but I'm still a little bit confused. I don't have too much of a mechanical background with suspension systems, so please bear with my questions.

I received a full set of JK coil springs from a buddy and am interested in putting them on my 99 TJ - 4.0, but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on here about them. I know I have to put coil spacers on the front to make the jeep level, but I just have a few questions.

1) Is there much of a difference in ride quality?

2) I don't have too much in the budget to go buy a lift kit, so is this a good way to go?

3) Do I need to buy a slip yoke eliminator kit because of the boost in height of the jeep from the springs?

4) Will stock TJ shocks still be okay if these JK springs go in, or do I have to buy new ones?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance
- steven

I believe it was @Jerry Bransford who uttered the immortal words, "JK springs are not worth the effort". I guess that pretty much answers 1 & 2.

For #3, any lift height between 1.5" and 2.5" can maybe get away with a transfer case drop, but in the long run, any lift should eventually be accompanied by an SYE for non-Rubicon short wheelbase TJs. As for #4, unless your change in lift is subtle, new shocks are usually going to be a given.

I believe it was @Jerry Bransford who uttered the immortal words, "JK springs are not worth the effort". I guess that pretty much answers 1 & 2.

For #3, any lift height between 1.5" and 2.5" can maybe get away with a transfer case drop, but in the long run, any lift should eventually be accompanied by an SYE for non-Rubicon short wheelbase TJs. As for #4, unless your change in lift is subtle, new shocks are usually going to be a given.
Thanks for your response Tim!
I remember seeing Jerry's comment, but I've also heard a lot of mixed reviews so i figured I'd ask again.

Thanks for the help with the SYE, and I was thinking the max I would put in for a lift is 2.5"- 3". new shocks would definitely come at some point, but would they be okay for the time being? Kind of like replacing one thing at a time I guess.

Cheers

If you're just doing 2.5" or so, the most budget-conscious way to go would be springs, shocks and transfer case drop kit. Everything else can come afterwards. You'll find that some things just really should be done in groups, like needing to do SYE, drive shaft and rear control arms at once.

I was wondering about the jk springs in a tj too. A friend mentioned buying jk springs for his tj... I was wondering why? If the ride is that much better, why wouldn't the manufacturer just make the tj springs with the spring rate like that from the factory? Like a 3" lift spring from ome, or rc (i know, apparently asking allot from them according to what i hear lol) but if the jk spring rides that much better, the manufacturers would just make the tj springs the same, or a style like it, right?