Jeep loses power, giving it gas barely does anything

Shaun1189

Got an issue, I was driving on the freeway totally fine for about 45 minutes, took an exit, and when I slowed down the engine lost all power, exhaust started banging, kept flooring it didn't do anything, eventually, it finally revved up, then it drove fine for 1/4 mile till I slowed down and it did it again as seen in the video, the same thing happened a third time.
Started it up again and it seemed to be fine, towed it home and it drives fine cold and warmed up, haven't driven it far but the engine sounds great and the exhaust sounds fine.
It drives fine now, haven't driven it far because it will probably happen again.
99 TJ auto 4.0
pulled Code p1391-loss of cam or crank signals.
not sure if this is related. my check engine light does not work so it could be an old code.
Here is a video I uploaded showing what happened

I’d clear the code, maybe even disconnect the battery overnight to be sure.

Then I’d drive it short trips to see if it pulls the same code.

If it does, you’ll know where to start.

Cats, or possibly some bad gas? At least in my area you have to know which places to get fuel and which stations to skip. I know 1 local fuel station that kept a good 4 inches of water in the holding tanks at any given time. If you fill up when their tanks are low, or even just filled, you can almost guarantee water in your gas tank.

Reactions: D M
In the order I'd check this...
Ck/cp sensors
Fuel delivery

I don't think you'll need a 3rd between those two
but I'd also check your battery...connections/age

Bad cat can suffocate your engine alright but once they go bad they're aren't as intermittent as you're experiencing.
If you don't have a temp gun drop the exhaust (unbolt) from the manifold and fire it up. If your cat is bad you'll notice a difference immediately

changed out the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor and still has same issue. Cats good also. will look into fuel delivery system next

changed out the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor and still has same issue. Cats good also. will look into fuel delivery system next
Check the fuel rail for fuel pressure. Can determine if your fuel pump shit the bed. Mine was over time, but you should be reading 60+psi IIRC, mine wouldnt even idle, it gave me a reading of 22 psi. Get a bosch or delphi if you do end up needing a replacement

fuel pump is only about 7 months old, it is pulling the same p1391 code again (loss of signal to crank/camshaft sensors)

Changed out entire distributor system and now the p1391 code went away, starts up fine, runs rough and when driving feels like it will die still. havent driven it far enough to know

Could it possibly be your battery or alternator? I still had a fluctuating idle problem even after the fuel pump(smoke tested, no vacuum leak) and when I replaced my alternator for the Heavy duty Durango alternator, it went away, could have just been random, but my idle does not bounce around now. If you have an ohmmeter, check what your voltage is reading off the battery terminals with the engine running at idle, should be 14.2 IIRC, also possibly any loose connections

Replaced the entire distributor system, still had the issue. Then replaced all the new spark plugs with the old ones that were in it, took out fuel injectors to take a look at them, tapped on some sensors by the throttle body then tried starting it up and it fired up great, runs better than ever now.
I don't know what it was that fixed it so I'm going to replace the injectors and get some new sensors around the throttle body just in case.

Reactions: Matt131 and D M
Those symptoms remind me of what my TJ did when its catalytic converter clogged up. I couldn't rev the engine up and its top speed dropped to 4-5 mph.
2006 4.0 Jeep flashes CEL, loses power, slows to a 4-5 mph,flash is now steady. codes P0300 and 1 time P0303. a week ago i noticed a tinging sound in the engine comp. couldn't locate, took to my mechanic for help, no joy. i'm starting to put the tinging sound with my cats and possibly a clog? All help appreciated.

2006 4.0 Jeep flashes CEL, loses power, slows to a 4-5 mph,flash is now steady. codes P0300 and 1 time P0303. a week ago i noticed a tinging sound in the engine comp. couldn't locate, took to my mechanic for help, no joy. i'm starting to put the tinging sound with my cats and possibly a clog? All help appreciated.
Cats is my guess

Reactions: Blondie70
Got an issue, I was driving on the freeway totally fine for about 45 minutes, took an exit, and when I slowed down the engine lost all power, exhaust started banging, kept flooring it didn't do anything, eventually, it finally revved up, then it drove fine for 1/4 mile till I slowed down and it did it again as seen in the video, the same thing happened a third time.
Started it up again and it seemed to be fine, towed it home and it drives fine cold and warmed up, haven't driven it far but the engine sounds great and the exhaust sounds fine.
It drives fine now, haven't driven it far because it will probably happen again.
99 TJ auto 4.0
pulled Code p1391-loss of cam or crank signals.
not sure if this is related. my check engine light does not work so it could be an old code.
Here is a video I uploaded showing what happened
The cam sensor is mounted on the driver side near the bell housing..It easier to remove from under the jeep..use good lighting..Because its only $15 bucks at auto parts store do this first..throwing $15 bucks at this even if not sure is worth it..especially since you have cam code..you tube has replacement videos for this part also