Jeep Lungs

David Overbay

TJ Enthusiast
What do you guys think of these there supposed to hold air. And be stronger than most rocksliders. Set puts ya back about 700 for two and everything you need to air up and use the air.

Hers a pic of them and the steps can be customized in anyway

FB_IMG_1453515257071.jpg

Those look like an ill-conceived gimmick to me. What type of wheeling do you do? Any big rocks to contend with? Or what kind of wheeling would you like to get into?

Problem with a small tank or accumulator is they tend to create backpressure that just limits flow.

David, I'd save some significant coin and just go for a conventional set of tub-mounted (not frame mounted) sliders. If you want the best, Savvy Offroad's aluminum & steel sliders are about as good and as strong as you're going to find. That slider is what I have run on both of my TJs after having bent a "less worthy" set prior to installing Savvy's. They're not cheap but they're not as expensive as the sliders you asked about either.

Something like http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Savvy-TJ-Rock-Step-Steel-Sliders-RKR-STEP.htm :)

OK, got a question for you Jerry. Why tub mounted sliders instead of frame mounted? I would have figured that frame mounted sliders would give you more protection for the tub.

Those Savvy's are nice looking sliders, BTW.

OK, got a question for you Jerry. Why tub mounted sliders instead of frame mounted? I would have figured that frame mounted sliders would give you more protection for the tub.
It does seem counterintuitive that tub mounted would be stronger than frame mounted, doesn't it. However, body mounted rocker guards are significantly stronger and are what rock crawlers run.

Sliders/rocker guards described as frame mounted would mislead most newer Jeepers who are looking for something strong. However, the rocker itself isn't actually bolted directly to the frame. That is what few realize and what misleads newer Jeepers about their actual strength.

They are actually bolted to a pair of long mounting brackets that bolt to the frame which means the slider itself is positioned well out away from the frame. Only the guards mounting brackets are bolted to the frame. That type of slider isn't rigid enough to avoid being pushed around if push comes to shove. So while it'd be ok for gentler forms of offroading where you're not apt to run the rockers up onto or against rocks or other obstructions, it's simply not strong enough when that is the case. Not to mention that long bracket gives the slider leverage against its mount. In my opinion, this design only came about for those unwilling to drill any holes through their tub's rockers.

Tub mounted rocker guards have no mounting brackets, they bolt directly to the tub and become part of the tub... they reinforce each other as one solid unit. Some rocker guards like Savvy's actually sandwich the tub between the rocker guard and an internal brace to further stiffen/strengthen the rocker area. Tub mounted rockers also don't have any leverage against what they're mounted to, since they are bolted directly to the tub without a bracket like the frame mounted style does.

Here are a few pics of when I mounted my tub mounted Savvy rocker guards. The first one shows Savvy's internal brace that not many other rocker guard manufacturers bother to include...

CIMG3545.jpg

CIMG3540.jpg

CIMG3558.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stinger
Yep, these seem gimmicky. One hit on a rock and then there goes the air.

I SO wish I had the $$$ for a nice RV that could tow my TJ behind it. The pop-up trailer I tow behind my TJ is a lot nicer than the tents I used to sleep in but... :(

Reactions: Stinger