Jeep Newbie Question (Saving Money on Tires)

Sophster116

I just bought a 2000 Sahara the other day and the existing tires are dry rotted. The previous owner had 235 /75 R15 tires on there so the speedometer reads higher speeds than the car is going. I can buy tires for ~$200 full set in this smaller size that are 4 ply highway tires vs ~$400 for the 6 ply 30 9.5 R15 alternative that came stock.

I'm only planning on driving on pave except MAYBE taking it on the beach once a year. It might be blasphemy to ask given all the posts asking how big of tires they can safely use, but can I/would you recommend I put cheaper highway tires on my Wrangler and change the speedometer gear instead of buying All Terrains?

Well, we don't see the words "saving money " on here often. Yes, there a lot of tires available that will work well and drive great.. generally the closer to stock..the better it works. Load range C work s well , and generally lower PSI.

Reactions: Chris
Smaller tires are generally cheaper, also look for rebates and discounts. At the end of the day you have 4 small patches touching the ground that are responsible for making you go where you want to and making you stop when you need to so keep that in mind.

If you don’t need to spend more don’t. Plenty of people drive around without all terrains.

Remember that 90% of the internet is lurkers, so anything you see here does not represent the actual community. Do what you feel it's necessary, as long as it doesn't get someone hurt.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Don't feel obligated to run anything or spend on anything that doesn't suit your needs. The same people talking ish about how you don't use the vehicle the way it was intended are the exact same people that will call you a poser when you run the stuff they told you that you should run/use.

On Amazon right now, there are 235/75/r15 sized Falken Wildpeak At/3 for like $85 a tire. I do not know if they are LT and the higher ply, my guess is no, but for what you're describing they may be perfect. The 30x9.5's go up to like $130/tire though.

If you're looking for larger options, there are plenty of just fine Chinese manufactured brands out there on which you can save a few $$. For some people, I know it's heresy to recommend Chinese made products but if you do your research and general due diligence, they are perfectly reliable options for many peoples' needs.

Reactions: matkal