Jeep regrets

I regret selling 2. My '69 CJ5 that was only a few years old when I got it and my '90 XJ Laredo that I drove off the lot new. I wanted a 2 dr. but with the 1st of my kids on the way I got a 4 dr. I joked about getting an MJ but that was no go for obvious reasons. I now have a 2 dr. Cherokee Limited and a Comanche Eliminator so it turned out OK in the end.

Reactions: JMT and lowranger
Found an engine swap/teardown photo from the beloved XJ.

109648202355.jpg

I did, but not Jeeps. I regret selling my built 1st gen 4Runner, my two FJ80’s and my FJ40.
Had many Jeeps but none gave me the same feeling. But, my dream Jeep was another TJ. I wanted a bright color, Rubi, manual, and clean. Found it last year and it’s going to be in the family till I die. My middle kid has claimed it.

so, I have the perfect Jeep for me. My wife loves it as much as me.

I will also buy/own a clean, imported diesel land cruiser as well. Then, life will be complete. I’m at a point in life now I don’t have to sell things to fund kids. I gave up so much for them, regrets happen but happy family.

go after your dreams!!!

I regret selling this one
View attachment 143589
bought it brand new 2006 .. had it for 8 years .. 50 k miles on it and never had top on it so it was practically new, sold it to buy a lake house.. wish I went a different route!!
Considering the miniscule amount that made a difference in getting the lake house, I bet you do regret it. I know I would. Nice Jeep.

Reactions: Hog
Miss our 05 the most. Drove it 11yrs. Have no idea why we sold it other than to buy our 12 JK. Probably for the best, it was my wifes “baby”, so it never saw off road or any kind, she even whined about driving down the gravel road to our cabin

It was insanely clean. Knowing what i know now, the new owner was extremely lucky.
9D2863A9-3FAB-4309-9641-2E38A61BDDF0.jpeg

Not "selling"...

I had a 2000 TJ Sport I bought new off the lot - 2/10 miles on it, 4.0, 5 speed. It was my daily driver for 9 years and 211,000 miles and I loved that Jeep.

My daughter from my previous marriage was living with us back then and she had just gotten her license. We were looking to get a Toyota Yaris for her but in the interim I let her drive the Jeep (we also had an f150 which I thought was too big for a new driver). She totaled it about four weeks in. I cried.

• Sad
Reactions: 4lowcreep
Yup, this one:
868931EC-4967-44DE-B20D-0449215E95A7.jpeg

Sold it when I went off to college in the fall, by January the guy I sold it to had totaled it. She was getting pretty rough and I was going to school six hours away from home but damn if I knew then what I know now I could’ve made it work.

Reactions: JMT
My current jeep ( sort of)— I looked for about 4-5 months for a jeep to my liking ( all things considered, condition,$, options ), after about 5 months of looking I settled on my current rig.

Lo and behold about 3 weeks later a PRISTINE perfectly optioned LJ becomes available — ,i think it was a '06 with 40 or 50 K on the odo.--looked brand new inside & out - guy was asking mid teens for it

Reactions: JMT
Well, not a regret or a Jeep. Probably 20 years ago plus or minus a year or two, sold my 1961 International Scout. I was so glad to see it gone although it was a learning vehicle for me. My Dad purchased it in 1976 when I was 15. I believe I touched just about everything in that pile. Differentials, transfer case, drive shafts, knuckle joints, brakes, carburetor, electrical, steering, suspension, interior, cooling, etc. etc. Those who had an early Scout, remember the nuts and bolts? Just about every one of them were SAE thread.o_O

Reactions: JMT and ejay
When I was 13 my dad gave me his old flatfender tub. It had some rust, nothing that wasn’t fixable. No frame or running gear or title. After start the body work I reluctantly got rid of it for something like $100, since someone wanted to cage and some other small parts off of it and my dad told me it was a good deal since I didn’t have any running gear ( my brother and uncle had a couple spare titles so that wasn’t a big deal). Well about 2-3 months later a guy from our old club was getting out of one of his projects and offered to sell me a CJ 5 frame, and Scout running gear all in great working order for $200. Basically I could have had pieced the flatty together with all that stuff for at the time probably under $700. Me and my dad both kicked ourselves for letting all that go.

Reactions: reddvltj
I got T-boned and my drivers side was dented in , the nerf bar was ripped off and the front mount of the rear leaf springs was ripped off. Didn't have the$$ to repair so after enough nagging i agreed to sell it...I miss that 1984 CJ7 every day...even with my recently acquired 04 Rubi...

😭 🍻

I regret waiting so long to get one. I've wanted one since I was 16, but didn't get my first wrangler until I was 39 in 2017. Of course, by then I could pay cash for a Rubi and it didn't have to be my daily. But still...it was a LONG time.

Reactions: ejay
My 2005 Patriot Blue 6sp TJ with 1/2 doors. Bought that thing traded in around it's 1st oil change. Had 3,900 miles on it, loved it. Paid it off in 9 months, traded it on an 06 Tundra which I totalled, absolutely no reason to have traded that beautiful thing.

On the flip side, the 3 Wranglers I had before this one are almost too pretty to wheel. I kind of like that my current one still looks good with a wash but I don't baby it either, haven't even waxed it yet..

Reactions: ejay
Pulled the pan and this was at the bottom.
Mine had that same problem, piston skirt on cylinder #2, at 96000 miles. I had the block honed out and bored 30 over. Broke her in again and she's good. Apparently there was an informational bulletin from jeep about 97-02 4.0s using inferior metals in the cylinders. A rather uncommon, common problem. No regrets though, im 17 and have owned 3 cars total(long story) and by far owning this vehicle is the best thing that's ever happened to me

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and ejay