Jeep Sahara 2015 2 Door Towing a pop up camper?

Kathy M

I am a new owner to my awesome 2015 Jeep Sahara. My husband and I just bought an Aliner solid pop up camper. It weighs 1,350 lbs. We would like to tow it with our wrangler but the weight for the two door is 2,00lbs. A friend and multiple wrangler owner said it would not be a problem to tow, he thought the tow-able weight 3,000 lbs but it was a 4door. We have another vehicle we can use but it's older and would rather use the wrangle. If anyone has any input or suggestions it would be appreciated. It is a 6 something engine. Will this be all right?

If your jeep has an automatic transmission think seriously about adding a supplemental cooler. With this type of combination tongue weight becomes serious. I mean the loading of the pop up. Enough distribution to have weight on the ball and not so much on the rear of the pop up that will cause the thing to waggle. The tail wagging the dog scenario. Even though we have a coach we also are seriously looking at dragging a pop up for those weekends at rugged camp areas. So I will be watching this thread closely. Please post your follow ups.

Reactions: Chris
It is automatic transmission. I know the camper place spoke to my husband about the type of hitches they put in. It sounded like he was explaining the type of hitch and cost to avoid what you are talking about. We are going to go ahead and have them do all the work. He also said they are very precise on measuring and matching up hitches with trailers when installing. I will keep my fingers crossed it works out fine. Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: Chris
Retired State Trooper here. I routinely pull a trailer with my LJ, but I can't tell you how many accidents I worked with CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's pulling even small light trailers at HIGHWAY SPEEDS. The short wheelbase of TJ's can be a lot to handle with trailer sway. My advise would be to properly pack/balance your trailer, know your tongue weight, and don't travel too fast. With that said, congrats and enjoy your new Jeep and camper. The camping and exploration lifestyle is why I drive a Jeep.

I am a new owner to my awesome 2015 Jeep Sahara. My husband and I just bought an Aliner solid pop up camper. It weighs 1,350 lbs. We would like to tow it with our wrangler but the weight for the two door is 2,00lbs. A friend and multiple wrangler owner said it would not be a problem to tow, he thought the tow-able weight 3,000 lbs but it was a 4door. We have another vehicle we can use but it's older and would rather use the wrangle. If anyone has any input or suggestions it would be appreciated. It is a 6 something engine. Will this be all right?
I have been successfully towing a Fleetwood Taos pop-up tent trailer behind my TJ for many years, it's about the same size as you're describing Kathy.

A small pop-up tent trailer like you're asking about and what I tow is well within the Wrangler's official safe towing ability, though make sure to connect and use the trailer's electric brakes by installing an aftermarket electronic brake controller.

I can literally barely tell mine is there, I am constantly looking in the mirror to verify it hasn't come loose lol. In fact, I have been towing trailers and large boats for over 40 years, the TJ does a much better job and has an easier time of towing my pop-up than I thought it would.

Just make sure your husband keeps up on the trailer's tire pressure (which will be high like 80 psi) and keeps the wheel bearings greased. If the trailer's hubs don't have a grease zerk fitting in them to make that an easy job, as mine came with, there are easily installed hub kits like "Buddy Bearings" that install a grease zerk fitting that make greasing them a 2-3 minute job.

I've towed mine behind two different TJs with 4.0L engine and 5-speed manual and automatic transmissions, both did a superb job. Your JK with its 3.6L engine will have absolutely no problem towing it safely. Just plan your braking by watching traffic well ahead of you, stay attentive, and have fun with it. :)

This is my Fleetwood Taos with my previous red and current black TJs...

CIMG2593.jpg

CIMG4097.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Pops and Chris