Jeep sinks at boat ramp

That wasn't the guy on here asking if he could pull his boat with his new to him TJ awhile back was it. If so I guess we all know he can't 🤣

Reactions: tr21triton
They could have saved the Jeep, had the woman not gotten in the boat and used it to pull the Jeep in. The first time they stopped, he was getting out of the Jeep to disconnect the boat and she went in reverse before that happened... The boat pulled the rest of the rig into the water.

Stupid... And I only wanted watched the first 60 seconds or so... Or she really didn't like the Jeep
Yep she didn't help the situation at all.

Did he even have the Jeep in gear? I only see the rear tires rolling backward while the front tires are skidding backwards and the engine is revving.

Reactions: JMT
Did he even have the Jeep in gear? I only see the rear tires rolling backward while the front tires are skidding backwards and the engine is revving.
He certainly wasn't in 4wd or at all prepared for what happened. He was pretty safe till he got out and let it roll in. He should have turned on his light bars. I hear they enhance traction.

Reactions: Blondie70 and RINC
I always put my truck in 4wd and apply the park brake. I’ve seen to many 1/2 tons slide in with big boats just in park. 4wd in park with parking brake pretty much locks all 4 wheels.

My brother's boat is big enough when we were unloading at a private steep ramp at a lake rental, he had it in 4 low and his dually was having a hard time. So we blocked his front wheels.

Those ramps can get stupid slick and drop off fast. So you don't want to get tires too far in the water.

Most of us probably have a poor weight ratio to large air volume tires too.

I'm sure plenty of large trucks have gone under because the driver was not paying attention.

My brother's boat is big enough when we were unloading at a private steep ramp at a lake rental, he had it in 4 low and his dually was having a hard time. So we blocked his front wheels.

Those ramps can get stupid slick and drop off fast. So you don't want to get tires too far in the water.

Most of us probably have a poor weight ratio to large air volume tires too.

I'm sure plenty of large trucks have gone under because the driver was not paying attention.
I have seen it in person. I have a cruiser I towed with a 1500, first time it started to drag me I learned. I was well within the tow rating for the truck, but ramps get slimly. Now I have a 2500 and continue the old habits. No one wants to be that guy.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
No way the Jeep driver should have ever gotten out of the vehicle. There was another adult there that kind of knew how to drive the boat.

Low tide and slime can be deadly, short wheel base does not help either, puts all 4 tires in the slime. Not sure that is the case here but can be tough with any tow vehicle. I saw this last night on YouTube, hurts to watch.

I saw it almost happen at a ramp here on a small inland lake. Guy was trying to pull far too large a boat with too small a truck... An S10, IIRC. He was giving it all she had, smoke was coming off the tires, and back he slid. He got it stopped before going under...

I really think they need to offer classes on launching and retrieving boats, as well as how to drive them. I've seen some really stupid stuff on the ramps. Boats sinking from not having drain plugs, engines that don't run, people that don't run their exhaust blowers and have explosions, crashing into the dock, losing dock lines, etc. I saw a guy cut a corner to tight with his pontoon and trailer... Ran a piling up under the boat and hung his trailer up.

Wind always makes for a fun day at the ramp too. Come to think of it, I should grab a sixxer and have my self a nice entertaining day watching idiots at the boat ramp!

All you can do is laugh at this spectacle. Two things got me. The lock cylinder that looked like a fountain when they first pulled it out, and the horn that was like "look at meeeeeeee".

All you can do is laugh at this spectacle. Two things got me. The lock cylinder that looked like a fountain when they first pulled it out, and the horn that was like "look at meeeeeeee".
The lock was quite good

Not good.
For sure, south of Miami off Biscayne bay

F34C40C9-1C55-421F-9513-6F7806915B2E.png