Jeep stutters like Mel Tillis

SgtMajor138

Long-time Jeeper
Supporting Member
So after following the advice in another thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tj-has-a-hiccup-and-stutter.25704/#post-426078
I am seeing the stutter pick up to a new level. I have replaced the following:
distributor cap and rotor
plugs
plug wires
both O2 sensors (with NGK)
Throttle Position Sensor (Duralast)

It runs great at idle. Best it has since I bought it. However, once moving, it spits and stutters off and on no matter if cold or hot. It is not just a mild miss but causes the Jeep to buck and jerk.

My brother and I have done all of the work so far. What next? Could the CATs be causing this? Can a muffler shop tell if they are the cause?

Suggestions? Is it time to stop with the shade tree mechanic and take it into a shop?

Thanks

"Throttle Position Sensor (Duralast)"
I've not messed with my TPS before to know how sensitive they are to replacements, but I do know most here like OE Mopar sensors over the cheaper Autozone stuff. An improperly working TPS (i.e. potentiometer) can act very strange and cause bucking, hesitation etc.. Not saying this IS your problem, but I would definitely go back to an OEM sensor.

Reactions: taylormade73
Check your throttle position sensor, had the same issues with my jeep a few months ago and that was my problem. Easy to test if you have a multi meter. Just test to see if pins 1 and 2’s resistance go from 5-0 and 2 and 3 go from 0-5.

Quick update. I had not been driving it much and didn't have a lot of time to spend on the problem until last week. My daughter's car was in the shop so I let her use my DD and I drove the Wrangler. Drove fine to work but on the way home it went off the deep end. Started bucking like a bronco! At that time, it threw a CEL. When I finally got it home and hooked up to my reader, I found it was showing a P1391 and P0306. After a quick search I found it could be the pick up coil or the crankshaft position sensor. I started with what I thought to be the easiest and replaced the pick up coil. So far (knock on wood), it has no offered to spit or sputter. I drove it about 15 miles yesterday and about 30 today. I hope that takes care of it.

Crazy stuff! Thanks to everyone that has commented, both the folks offering options as well as those that still remember Mel! :)