Jeep sub and factory amp

If you can, return it. Buy this instead: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8...a&awnw=g&awcr=48387319825&awdv=m&awug=9003557

At the time, when I bought it, a wiring kit was free. Looks like you'll have to purchase it, but I think it's fairly cheap. Either way, I cannot rant enough on how amazing (especially for a TJ) this thing makes my audio sound.

Gut the internal amp that you have in the console and install this thing. Basically, it'll sit up on its side, inside the center console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can, return it. Buy this instead: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8...a&awnw=g&awcr=48387319825&awdv=m&awug=9003557

At the time, when I bought it, a wiring kit was free. Looks like you'll have to purchase it, but I think it's fairly cheap. Either way, I cannot rant enough on how amazing (especially for a TJ) this thing makes my audio sound.

Gut the internal amp that you have in the console and install this thing. Basically, it'll sit up on its side, inside the center console.

Hey, thanks for the link! That would be a great way to do the center console sub. The pyramid sub was only 22$, so not a big loss.

For not much more $ you can get the Rockford Fosgate PS-8. Same kind of deal as the Sound Ordnance, but better quality. Some get solid performance out of the SO but others not so much. Crutchfield has great customer service, so they would probably replace it if it was a problem, but I just went with the Rockford Fosgate and couldn't be happier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3WKUX8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For not much more $ you can get the Rockford Fosgate PS-8. Same kind of deal as the Sound Ordnance, but better quality. Some get solid performance out of the SO but others not so much. Crutchfield has great customer service, so they would probably replace it if it was a problem, but I just went with the Rockford Fosgate and couldn't be happier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3WKUX8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hmmm, I might snag one of those! I hadn't seen that until now, thanks for the link.

If mine crapped out, I wouldn't hesitate to change it for a RF. So far, going on three year, I believe, this Fall. These powered subs are a sound improvement beyond expectation.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I might snag one of those! I hadn't seen that until now, thanks for the link.
You wouldn't be disappointed. You'll have kicked yourself for not doing it sooner! No support through Amazon but I can walk you through install if you need help.

I installed on the underside of rear seat. This makes it invisible to a thief and doesn't take up any space in your TJ. To do this I measured the RF and then cut a 3/4" piece of plywood slightly larger. It's something like 14 1/2" x 10". Then I measured the width between the metal supports under the seat and cut 1/4" deep grooves about 3/4" wide. Then you can slip it in and get it positioned to mount the RF with four screw holes.

IMG_5720.JPG

Other options are on the floor in the back end (@Kevin E) or your console. I don't think under front seat will work. It may if you have seat risers. Just measure first!

Does this sound like a "sub"? I have a PO installed amp and sub that is taking up my whole trunk area. It sounds great but I hate the storage in my Jeep. After reading some reviews for awhile it sounds like this is the way to go. Another item on the list, does it ever end?

You wouldn't be disappointed. You'll have kicked yourself for not doing it sooner! No support through Amazon but I can walk you through install if you need help.

I may take you up on that! I'm not worried about no support through Amazon. I'm pretty smart, and with you to possibly guide me, I think I'll have it covered!

I may take you up on that! I'm not worried about no support through Amazon. I'm pretty smart, and with you to possibly guide me, I think I'll have it covered!

You should have no problem, just wanted to offer my service since you serve us so well. Thanks Chris!

Reactions: Chris
Muchas gracias! I'll let you know if I run into any issues.
If you get it, only things you need that aren't included; 2 ring connectors (one for battery terminal, one for ground), and IF you have pre-amp outs on the back of your head unit, and preferably a sub pre-amp out, and intend to send the signal to the amp that way (recommended), THEN you need a set of RCA's long enough to reach the amp. Then you'll be ready when it arrives.

Does this sound like a "sub"? I have a PO installed amp and sub that is taking up my whole trunk area. It sounds great but I hate the storage in my Jeep. After reading some reviews for awhile it sounds like this is the way to go. Another item on the list, does it ever end?
It's not gonna rattle your teeth but for me it's perfect.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Does this sound like a "sub"?

It really fills the cabin and makes your music sound big. Does it boom like a sub? No. I believe it can, but not 90's style sub boom, up the block loud. But you won't be disappointed, as someone else said. It gives you big bass and fullness. Personally, I keep the level low so that nothing rattles inside my Jeep and yet the sound is still large.

As for where to put it; I truly believe the center console cannot be beat. No wires to see, no amp to locate, no speaker in site. It's truly stealth mode. Creepy crooks won't know it's there and the placement is perfect for bass.

I had a local shop install it. Cost me $60, I believe. It was quick and painless. They also eq'd it for me.

End of the day, I was bent that I waited so long to go this route!

Reactions: JMT and nick berger