Michigan Jeep the Mac and Drummond Island

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
I've gone several years now and we've always had a blast! There was hundreds of Jeeps that did the bridge crossing and many went over to the island after to Jeep around the Drummond and Turtle Ridge trails. However it's not too many as the trails never feel crowded.

The minimal $35/person fee covers crossing the bridge once and Drummond Island ferry fare both ways. In previous years, there's no formal events besides the bridge crossing worth going to imho unless you want to sit around a non-existent camp fire and drink wine instead of wheeling. A bit disappointingly there was no good Jeep vendors either except one shop selling light bars (just local sponsors, which was nice getting free fudge
wink.gif
). No trail leaders or spotters either. That said, there's a fair amount of trails a stock Jeep can do; you might need to bypass a few of the more difficult obstacles. For modified, there's a bunch of great holes to play around in. Dirt, rock, mud, water, snow, there's about everything. 33s and a 2" lift can do 90% of the trails there, for the remaining 10% there's bypasses.

I'll be driving from Northern WI and meeting up with some buddies around Rapid River, MI. If anyone is coming from this direction let me know if you want to caravan.

http://www.stignace.com/event/jeep-the-mac

Reactions: Mikester86
Just a heads up, if you're planning on going on trails at Drummond you will need an ORV license ($26.25) and ORV trail permit (an additional $10 for a total of $36.25). There has been some confusion as to which one you need and the simple answer is you need both to be legal in a Jeep. Some trails start out requiring one of those stickers and towards the end of the trail requires a different sticker, or may require both. I didn't see a single DNR agent last year, but for the minimal cost it does go towards keeping trails open in MI. Just buy both stickers and place them centered on your rear (or to the side of the rear if you can't center) and if a road doesn't say private property or keep out, it's fair game.

You can buy online here (same cost if you live in MI or not) and they'll mail them to you: http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx

(Turtle Ridge is private property and does not require these.)

This year the event is Friday April 26, 27, and 28.

We're going to be starting a caravan from Northern WI, through Escanaba, and working our way over. PM me if you want to join and we can figure out a place and time for you to join up.

Buddies an I talked about hitting Jeep the Mac this year. My Jeep club is going (616 Jeeps). Decided to hit Drummond a bit later in the year when it dries out. There are some serious mud holes on marble head and the trails to marble.

Turtle ridge is fun. Cost an extra 30 bucks to get in last year when I went. Had a good time though, so it was worth it.

Have fun, and post lots of pictures!

There are some serious mud holes on marble head and the trails to marble.

Yes there are.

Turtle ridge is fun. Cost an extra 30 bucks to get in last year when I went.

Were you there with the Jeep the Mac event? The first 2 years entry was included for those with a wrist band. Bummer if they stopped that since it was good added value.

Oh...I heard a rumour that Jeep is doing some sort of publicity stunt with the new gladiator too. Like they are leading the pack across the bridge and flying a drone ahead of it.

Were you there with the Jeep the Mac event? The first 2 years entry was included for those with a wrist band. Bummer if they stopped that since it was good added value.
No, we went in late July last summer. Still cleaning the dust out of the Jeep! I haven't done the big event to cross the bridge, but I have crossed it 2x in my Jeep. I spend a lot of time in the UP. All my in-laws live there. Done a lot of wheeling in the Keweenaw.

Curious how it went, brother in law said it looked like a fairly decent turnout. I was born and raised in the Les Cheneaux Islands, Cedarville/Hessel. Heading back there in July, but flying so wont have the Jeep. Someday I hope to get back there with it.

Curious how it went, brother in law said it looked like a fairly decent turnout. I was born and raised in the Les Cheneaux Islands, Cedarville/Hessel. Heading back there in July, but flying so wont have the Jeep. Someday I hope to get back there with it.

It went well. All of the trails were passable with a lift. On a stock Jeep the water would have been a little deep on some trails but those could have been avoided. We skipped the bridge crossing and went directly to the trails on Friday. The trails were relatively empty until about noon on Saturday and then cleared out again by that evening. It was nice being able to get some speed through the trails and not being backed up. If you come out with a Jeep sometime let me know and we might be able to join you.