Jeep tj 98 lag when accelerating

Stjohn98tj

So my Jeep will struggle to shift into gear right away (it’s automatic) if I drive it right when it starts up, but it will only do it for a couple min and than it will go away. It also happens when there is a lot of moisture in the air and my check engine light comes on but goes away once it get pretty dry outside. I had a friend look at it and he said it could be a fuel issue or a electrical issue. Need more opinions

What do you mean it struggles to shift into gear? Do you mean it feels like it's in Neutral and the engine just revs? And a big welcome to WTF! :)

I will hear and feel like a popping noise at my feet but only when I first start it up and accelerate for the first time, after that it will drive just fine even when I stop and go again

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That popping noise is a new one for me. But I'd start with the basics and check the transmission's ATF level. Do that while the engine is running and the transmission in Neutral, it cannot be checked while it's in Park or when the engine is not running. Make sure the ATF level is all the way to the Full line, being underfilled can cause it to slip. If you need to add ATF make sure to ONLY add ATF+4 via a small funnel inserted into the dipstick tube, no other type of ATF is correct.

Running rich usually means the upstream O2 sensor has gone bad. If you replace it ONLY with either an NTK, NGK, or Mopar O2 sensor... avoid Bosch and store brands. No need to replace the downstream O2 sensor mounted on the catalytic converter, it would not have any effect on the fuel mixture... it only monitors the catalytic converter.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
That popping noise is a new one for me. But I'd start with the basics and check the transmission's ATF level. Do that while the engine is running and the transmission in Neutral, it cannot be checked while it's in Park or when the engine is not running. Make sure the ATF level is all the way to the Full line, being underfilled can cause it to slip. If you need to add ATF make sure to ONLY add ATF+4 via a small funnel inserted into the dipstick tube, no other type of ATF is correct.

Running rich usually means the upstream O2 sensor has gone bad. If you replace it ONLY with either an NTK, NGK, or Mopar O2 sensor... avoid Bosch and store brands. No need to replace the downstream O2 sensor mounted on the catalytic converter, it would not have any effect on the fuel mixture... it only monitors the catalytic converter.

Ok thank you for the advice I’ll check all that and fix the sensor and hopefully that fixes the problem before I have to spend a lot of money on it

Reactions: Jerry Bransford