Jeep tj clutch rattle sound (not normal)

1ns0mn1a

Hi fine Wranglertjforum members,

I am having an issue with my tj rubicon clutch. Here is how the story goes

Brand new clutch kit installed 2k miles ago, everything is going fine.

First thing was the clutch pedal started making a loud squeak from outside while pressing and releasing. Next after long drives, when the clutch is not depressed it makes a very loud rattling metallic noise from outside. This noise gets louder as I press the clutch in a tiny amount, and then goes away completely when I fully depress the clutch pedal. I notice that even in first gear while crawling, it still makes this noise because the clutch is not depressed.

There is no issue with drivability. If I was deaf I would have never known this is happening.

Where should I start looking?

Thanks for the reply. I didnt change the clutch myself, but for about 2k miles it didnt make any noise at all. The noise is also not there when first started. It starts after about 10 minutes of driving. Is the retainer clip difficult to get to? What else could it be?
Could be a bad retainer clip, did you replace that when you replaced the clutch?

Replacing the clip requires the transmission be dropped, not an easy job. No guarantees it's a broken clip but it's a normal part of replacing the clutch along with the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I'd take it back to the shop that replaced the clutch and complain it's making noises now.

Replacing the clip requires the transmission be dropped, not an easy job. No guarantees it's a broken clip but it's a normal part of replacing the clutch along with the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I'd take it back to the shop that replaced the clutch and complain it's making noises now.
I see! Odd that it happened many many miles after the job. Wondering if there is something loose outside of the transmission itself, such as a component connecting the clutch to the clutch pedal?

Hi fine Wranglertjforum members,

I am having an issue with my tj rubicon clutch. Here is how the story goes

Brand new clutch kit installed 2k miles ago, everything is going fine.

First thing was the clutch pedal started making a loud squeak from outside while pressing and releasing. Next after long drives, when the clutch is not depressed it makes a very loud rattling metallic noise from outside. This noise gets louder as I press the clutch in a tiny amount, and then goes away completely when I fully depress the clutch pedal. I notice that even in first gear while crawling, it still makes this noise because the clutch is not depressed.

There is no issue with drivability. If I was deaf I would have never known this is happening.

Where should I start looking?
This sounds a lot like mine. I replaced my clutch a few months ago and just this week I started noticing sounds/squeaks when depressing the pedal. I actually bought a new retainer clip like Jerry mentioned because I read of issues and since I had the trans down anyway it makes sense. The new one didn’t seat securely though so I ended up just reinstalling the old clip. So it could be the culprit in my case.
Have you found anything different to be the cause?

As posted above the retaining clip for the throw out bearing release arm to pivot ball could be loose or worn out. While the transmission is removed; do a thorough inspection of the pivot ball, throw out bearing retaining clip and verify bolts for the pressure plate are torqued to the factory rated amount.