Jeep TJ electronic key system

That's the theory. Won't stop someone from towing it away or breaking into the interior and messing with your stuff.

It also means an expensive trip to the dealer to program another key. In Kanadastan, it was $125 for another key. Took the tech less than 10 minutes but they bone you an hour labour.

Ok so no need for a kill switch.... I paid ACE Hardware $79 for a second key. They had a laptop that plugged into the OBD and programmed it. Really? ACE hardware??! Wow... by the way when it’s 115 here in the desert this summer, send some snow....

Reactions: Mikester86
Ok so no need for a kill switch.... I paid ACE Hardware $79 for a second key. They had a laptop that plugged into the OBD and programmed it. Really? ACE hardware??! Wow... by the way when it’s 115 here in the desert this summer, send some snow....
How many programmed keys do you have?

I have 2. The Jeep came with one and the PO told me to not loose it or it would get painful, so I had another one made.
Order a blank, get it cut, and then using the directions try to program it in the Jeep using the other two. If you have two, you can program a third. That will tell you if Ace made a new programmed key or a clone. Hopefully it is not a clone as that will just act like the first key and you can't program the third through eighth keys.

If my Jeep is equipped with a chipped key from the factory, is that sufficient to prevent theft?? Thanks....

49732803_10218514112910359_6690177527987568640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

***** I Learned This This Year *****

It is January 2, 2019 and it is already an interesting year.

** I looked at my VA Medical Co-Pay and discovered what I pay for Acetaminophen 325mg/Oxycodone 5mg.

Civilians pay $9.14 up. Per Pill.
I pay $8.00. .... for 30 pills.

** I own a 2012 Jeep Rubicon, meaning it has bells and whistles and rings on her toes.

Today was really nippy so I availed myself of the remote start and after traversing the Costco parking lot opened the door to yummy warmth. I love that feature.

I put groceries in the back and, as I do when I drive, because tight britches make me look good but having things in the four pockets is uncomfortable I put my extra keys, wallet and phone on the seat, then went to return the shopping cart to the pick up stall.

When I returned the doors were locked! My Jeep had Locked Me Out! The extra keys I carry in case I locked myself out gave me an evil grin me from the seat.

I have a spare key in my rig, but it was locked. I have three free roadside assistance plans, but the numbers were behind the vault tight doors. Hopefully I can bill for the $179.00 door opening locksmith.

I hate when I have to re-learn a costly lesson.

** Using the blank, all metal extra key opens the door. Then all hell breaks loose!
The alarm goes off; you know, the beeping horn that causes hundreds to call the cops.
I tried starting the engine. And it made clicking sounds like a starter solenoid with a weak battery that continued as the engine sputtered and ran like it was in limp-mode and stepping on the gas did nothing and it wouldn't shift into gear .... as the horn beeped.

The engine sounded broken, but is fine with the right key.

The SKIM system IS pretty damned good; not perfect, but as good IMHO as ANY kill switch or fuel shutoff "system", both of which *I* have fitted to previous vehicles. After much reading on the Jeep factory SKIM system, I took the plunge and bought everything to install it. E-A-S-Y install thanks to the How-To Guide on this fine forum! Per Mssr. Blaine's advice, I bit the bullet and bought THREE SKIM keys, and of course tested each of them...

If someone REALLY REALLY wants YOUR vehicle, they're gonna get it - PERIOD! It's one of the reasons why I "only" drive a Jeep TJ as my toy vehicle, and not something fancy/flashy like a vintage Corvette or other muscle car. I actually ENJOY the relative anonymity that I get with it. My last toy car was a '67 Corvette - I came out of Lowe's one day and a guy about my age was standing next to it admiring it - with the driver's door OPEN! ~20 years ago I came out to my '62 Corvette parked at Bojangles and a father had inserted his ~5 year old son behind the wheel and was taking a picture of him - REALLY?!

Reactions: Shatto and KCsTJ