After test driving a 97 tj se with the 2.5 4 cyl, im not sure if i should opt for the 4.0. The 4 cyl did not seem too bad on power, but i cant exactly compare to the 4.0 as i have never driven one, and dont know if the 2.4 would be worth it over the 2.5. Are the other upgrades to the sport (what i would likely get if i got a 4.0) like the axles, etc be worth it? Would a lift kit affect gas mileage?

What are you going to be doing with your TJ? There are a few guys on here with the four angry squirrels. Most of us have the 4.0. The only upgrade you’d be looking for as far as the axles, is the Dana 44 rear differential. It came standard on the Rubicon and as an option on the Sahara and Sport (I think it was an option on the Sport). I prefer the 4.0. They will always hold their value better than the 2.4 or 2.5 and the Rubicon will hold its value the best of all. A lift will very mildly affect gas mileage, simply due to aerodynamics. But Jeeps aren’t known for aerodynamics! :D you’re wallet won’t notice the loss and you’ll likely enjoy the look more than the few pennies in gas it will cost you.

The difference between the 2.4 and 2.5 isn't there. They are the same power wise.

Going from a 4 cylinder to a 4.0 is a huge difference. The 4.0 has tons of torque, and it's got a lot more power, notably on the highway where it counts. Go drive one and I think you'll say, "wow".

The only other upgrade that is really "worth it" aside from a Rubicon package, is the Dana 44 rear axle, which was an option on some of the trim packages. You can see more about what package comes with what here: Wrangler TJ Stock Specifications

Reactions: JMT
After test driving a 97 tj se with the 2.5 4 cyl, im not sure if i should opt for the 4.0. The 4 cyl did not seem too bad on power, but i cant exactly compare to the 4.0 as i have never driven one, and dont know if the 2.4 would be worth it over the 2.5. Are the other upgrades to the sport (what i would likely get if i got a 4.0) like the axles, etc be worth it? Would a lift kit affect gas mileage?
Wait until you drive the 4.0 before ruling it out.
Some sports came with the Dana 44 rear.
Rubicon has all the bells and whistles.
But it comes down to one very complex question, what are your plannning on doing with the TJ you purchase?

Reactions: StG58 and Kiwi TJ
If you will be driving on highways that are 2,3,4 lanes wide, all in the same direction, get the 4.0 engine. Here in central NJ, everyone has to win the commute to work and will run you off the road to do it. 55-60 in the slow lane doesn't cut it. That was one of the reasons I went back to a Cherokee. The 4.0 will accelerate much faster and cruise at 70-75 without breaking a sweat. My TJ could not.
YMMV

Ken R

For most people, most of the time, the 4.0 is the way to go. The 2.5 / 2.4 engines do fine and I sought my SE out for very specific reasons. I have no issues easily exceeding the speed limit on the very few trips that I make on the interstate by selecting a lower gear. On the other hand, if I tried to take my SE on the same road trip through Idaho, Montana and South Dakota that I did with the JKU with it's modern six banger I would have been disappointed. The TJ 4.0 is essentially in the same class with power as the JKU.

Things that indicate the SE might be a bad choice are:
1) You want tires bigger than about 32 -33"
2) You want to put a crap-ton of toys and armor on your TJ
3) You want more than about 3-4" of lift
4) You regularly drive on divided freeways at speeds greater than about 70 mph for longer than an hour or so
5) You want to haul a bunch of gear (250+ pounds) up hills all the time
6) You think that 3,000 rpm is pushing a four banger
7) You can't live with a manual transmission
8) You expect the 2.5 / 2.4 to get noticeably better gas mileage than the 4.0 and will hate life when it doesn't
9) You expect other Jeeple to think your four banger is cool.
10) You expect a transmission that shifts, especially downshifting, smoothly and without drama

There are exceptions to all of those. But if any of those items will bug you, you really need to get a 4.0.

Last edited: