Jeep TJ rear fender flare removal

imncrxtc

HI guys, I removed the front flares, but haven't started the rear. Has anyone done this?
Should I even attempt these? I don't want to open a can of worms if I don't have to. I want to change them to the body colored wider style oem flares. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Not much to it if I remember correctly. Just pull down the plastic fender liner and start unscrewing the screws.

edit: youtube has some vids on the process. Youtube has everything lol.

It's really, really easy to remove the rear fender flares. I wouldn't sweat it at all!

I didn't even remove the inner fenders on mine. Just unbolted and removed.

How did you get to the inner plastic nuts without removing the inner fender?

You just pull the inner fender aside enough to reach your hand up between the gap. Then you can grab the nuts from the backside.

You just pull the inner fender aside enough to reach your hand up between the gap. Then you can grab the nuts from the backside.
Yup. Besides, removing the push pin connectors to take off the inner fender liner not only is a pain to do, you can break them taking them out, creating a need to get replacements.

Reactions: Chris
I didn't have any pins left on mine when I got to Blaine's. He told his helper mine were held on by PFM. Then he tossed several to me.:rolleyes:

OK I don't know what everyone is talking about with the simplicity of this task.. But I have a 98 tj and they were those dam rivit things that the screws were drilled into .. Which when I tried unscrewing the whole thing would just turn and turn.. No plastic clips with screws like in the front .. So in my frustration with that I ended up taking vice grips locking them onto the fender and ripping those things off.. Which then had to cut grind and tap out the screws .... To save yourself time. . if yours is the same.. I used self tapping screws to install the new ones

That's what I discovered after a trip to the dealer parts counter. They charge $4.75 for each fastener. 10 per side. CRAZY!!
Anyway, I'll get the variety pack on Amazon.

Thanks for the Reply.

This is still an interesting issue with all sorts of techniques to remove rear fender flares. On my 2000 TJ I tried something a bit different and it worked great. All I did was put my hand between the Jeep body and the fender flare. This kept pressure on the nut an kept it from turning. It is so simple. I put a glove on my left hand so it wouldn't get pinched. As I loosened the screw I could feel it give. As the screw gives run your gloved hand up closer to the the screw. This continues the tension until the screw comes out. Again, it is so simple. Give it a try

Reactions: kincaid.0678
This is still an interesting issue with all sorts of techniques to remove rear fender flares. On my 2000 TJ I tried something a bit different and it worked great. All I did was put my hand between the Jeep body and the fender flare. This kept pressure on the nut an kept it from turning. It is so simple. I put a glove on my left hand so it wouldn't get pinched. As I loosened the screw I could feel it give. As the screw gives run your gloved hand up closer to the the screw. This continues the tension until the screw comes out. Again, it is so simple. Give it a try

It wasn't so easy in my case. I had to grab the rectangular plastic nuts with channelocks. I tossed them all and replaced them and the bolts with 1/4" stainless steel hardware.

Sorry to hear that. For me it was stupid simple. Perhaps you didn't put enough outward pressure on the flares. I was even able to take off the lower horizontal flares.

Sorry to hear that. For me it was stupid simple. Perhaps you didn't put enough outward pressure on the flares. I was even able to take off the lower horizontal flares.

It was due to years of winter driving. With things like that I'm often happier when the hardware breaks as I remove it. Most of what I put back on is stainless steel and anti-seize is used on pretty much everything. I also don't use the plastic push plugs referred to above for the inner fenders where they attach to the torque boxes for example. I prefer to attach them with SS self tapping screws and fender washers. It makes things much easier to remove and replace for maintenance, repairs, rustproofing, etc.

Reactions: frank1
I agree with replacing OEM fasteners with SS and with self-tapping screws. However, that has nothing to do with removing the OEM fasteners. That is what I was I was referring to.

I agree with replacing OEM fasteners with SS and with self-tapping screws. However, that has nothing to do with removing the OEM fasteners. That is what I was I was referring to.

All I am saying that when I removed the plastic OEM fender flare nuts I held them with chanelocks and unscrewed the the OEM self tappers with an 8mm wrench. Another commenter used vice grips. In my case using gloves, applying pressure, etc. would not have worked. Glad yours were easy ... on my TJ & LJ they weren't.

Reactions: JMT