Jeep TJ rear wheelbase stretch with existing Rubicon Express long arm kit

Ok. it is squat. I don't want to steal the OP's thread, but same thing I asked the wizard, savvey mid arms??
All I know is that mine doesn't lift tires as easily as others I've seen.

Reactions: WSS
Blaine says it's cause my ass is big.
No, you have to pick your battles. You want a tank that carries every convenience, gadget, widget, and emotional crutch that adds weight and ruins performance? Nothing wrong with that as long as you know what your priorities are. When you get to the point that performance starts to matter, then you get to make the hard decisions about priorities with the realization that lumbering pigs are seldom elegant on the trail.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris and WSS
That’s what I’m thinking. I’m moving to 37’s from 35’s. Same width at 12.5. 4.5 BS wheels. Do the coilovers stick out pretty far after frenching them in?
That's not how it works. The coil over sticks out what it sticks out. You have to build around that. Just be aware that the mount typically goes all the way through the frame and winds up about 1" inboard of the inner face of the frame.

Reactions: Chris
No, you have to pick your battles. You want a tank that carries every convenience, gadget, widget, and emotional crutch that adds weight and ruins performance? Nothing wrong with that as long as you know what your priorities are. When you get to the point that performance starts to matter, then you get to make the hard decisions about priorities with the realization that lumbering pigs are seldom elegant on the trail.
I need two Jeeps. I’ve got my eye on a 90% built Rock only rig.

That's not how it works. The coil over sticks out what it sticks out. You have to build around that. Just be aware that the mount typically goes all the way through the frame and winds up about 1" inboard of the inner face of the frame.
Gotcha - so that’s how you fit coilovers on the narrower axles. Do you have to modify the skid or the tank at all when you do that?

Gotcha - so that’s how you fit coilovers on the narrower axles. Do you have to modify the skid or the tank at all when you do that?
Not just the narrower axles. I've not done any rear coil overs that I don't have to go all the way through the frame. We don't run shitty back spacing so we wind up around 4" to keep the steering nicer.

Depending on how the rig is set up, we have to modify the Genright tanks to clear the frame reinforcements.
DSC_4598.JPG
DSC_4607.JPG

I need two Jeeps. I’ve got my eye on a 90% built Rock only rig.
You should post up a very detailed list with pictures of how it is being done so you don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire.
"Rock ONLY" is highly suspect since most don't implicitly understand that if you make a rig drive, handle, and stop well on the highway, it has few issues taking care of itself offroad.

Reactions: Chris and jjvw
You should post up a very detailed list with pictures of how it is being done so you don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire.
"Rock ONLY" is highly suspect since most don't implicitly understand that if you make a rig drive, handle, and stop well on the highway, it has few issues taking care of itself offroad.
Those are my words (rock only). It is not even close to being able to (legally) drive on a street. At this point a boat is more likely (via family vote). I am good either way. I love the water.

I'm seriously considering a 5-6" stretch now that I learned how to do a fuel cell in a manner I like. When that happens, the frame will be cut right in front of the rear control arms so that the entire arch can be moved backwards. This keeps the entirety of the rear suspension intact.

Whoa. I really have to get caught up on everything I missed this summer :)

Reactions: jjvw
Not just the narrower axles. I've not done any rear coil overs that I don't have to go all the way through the frame. We don't run shitty back spacing so we wind up around 4" to keep the steering nicer.

Depending on how the rig is set up, we have to modify the Genright tanks to clear the frame reinforcements. View attachment 284252View attachment 284253

Those photos are amazing - so much careful detail in the work that is displayed here. Thanks for sharing those, Blaine.

Damn, that’s beautiful work, Blaine. Thanks for the explanation.
His work is even better in person. Can you imagine how many times that tank had to go up and down to get it right? That’s the level of expertise you get from his shop. It’s great that he shows his work. Not many shops share that kind of info.

Reactions: psrivats