Jeep TJ Transmission Cooling Hose Failure while Driving- Hose, Fluid & Replacement Process Recommendations?

Landrand

A few days ago, my 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ sprung a leak in the transmission cooler lines while I was driving. I was going about 20 MPH when I noticed I no longer had power. At first I thought I might have broken a U-joint, but further inspection revealed transmission fluid covered the front underside of the vehicle. The hose failed and fluid was shooting out. I shut the engine off after discovering the issue.

Do you think I may have damaged my transmission due to the loss of fluid? Can you provide recommendations on my next steps that I should follow to replace hoses and transmission fluid? I'm not a mechanic, but I should be able to handle this repair with a little guidance from the experts. After calling several auto parts stores, it appears regular 3/8" bulk hose lineis all they sell. They don't have a regular hose assembly for the Jeep. Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing your recommendations on how I should proceed to fix this issue.

I've had that issue and used this 3/8" hose splice to fix it. I went to a hydraulic hose shop to buy a better quality high-temperature hose that would better stand up to the sometimes hot ATF. I actually carry two splices and a short length of that hose just in case since if it happened once it can happen again. You can get the brass hose splice at nearly any hardware store including Lowe's and Home Depot.
splice.JPG

Reactions: mipa and Landrand
The current hose appears to be an assembly with a metal part where it bends to go into the radiator. The hose broke next to the metal part. I'll take another look tonight to verify.

Your '05 should have the quick disconnect trans line fittings. If you can't find the whole trans line assembly, a couple options you can do (considering the hose broke close to the metal) is:

1) Cut the crimp part off of the metal line, cut the bad part of the hose out, use a splice like Jerry posted and connect another section of hose to the existing hose, then slip the other end of the new hose over the metal tube coming out of the radiator. Put hose clamps on all the connections of course. If you can remove the metal tube from the radiator and flare the end that the hose will slip on, that would good, but not absolutely required as long as enough hose is over the tube and its clamped well.

2) Remove the metal line completely from the radiator, install a Hayden Transmission Line Adapter in place of the OEM tube, cut the bad section of the hose off, use the splice Jerry posted to connect a new section of hose to the existing, connect the other end to the Hayden adapter.
1568582384274.png

Reactions: mipa and Landrand
Here's a picture of the hose assembly. There's a small hole in the tubing right next to the metal sleeve as it joins to the hose.

IMG_20190916_103406.jpg

The bouncing around from off-roading caused this tear in the transmission cooler line, leaving me stranded on the side of the road (line wasn't secured to the bottom of the fan shroud - see https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/oil-cooler-line-clip.72160).

IMG-0375.JPG

I had to rely on a local mechanic to repair the line as I was hundreds of miles from home. He cut out some of the hard line and installed fuel-line hose (Gates 27004, rated up to 257F). Added two hose clamps at each end (and wrapped in electrical tape I guess for looks IDK).

It's not leaking so far, but what I am wondering from the more experienced members than me, is this a good should-be-permanent repair or is this a band-aid and I should re-do it. I don't think he flared the hardline where he cut it.

Thanks, Andy

IMG-0373.jpg

IMG-0374.JPG

Why not just replace them for under $100? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XBWJYPS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The quick release connections look intimidating if you haven't done them before but really they are quite simple. Before you start, tie some fishing line onto the new clips so you don't lose them. The old ones can be tricky to remove, I use a small hooked tool like an oring pick. When it's time to install the new lines, put the new clip onto the fitting first, cut the fishing line off, then press the line in till you feel it click into place. Do not try and put the clips in when the line is in place. After they are seated give some good tugs on them to make sure.

Reactions: AndyA
Yes, that is an option - thanks for the Amazon link, hadn't see a price that low before. However if it's fine as it is I can push it down the to do list for a year or two.

Andy