Jeep TJ Wrangler 42RLE Transmission Problem with Codes

Rodrigo1807

My Jeep Wrangler Auto/ Tranmission 2003 is having trouble with the tranmission. I was dumb enough to take it from my city to another city of a 2 hour drive. The ride to my destine was safe and all. As soon as I arrived to the hotel, my jeep began to feel heavy. I was able to make a complete stop and began to press the gas pedal and felt like if i had the jeep on nuetral. After a couple revs the jeep sort of kicked into the first gear and struggled to travel about 15mphs i was able to make it to my hotel which was one block away (luckily). I immediately pulled out the codes manually through the ignition key and dashboard, and gave me the P0700. knowlingly I knew it was a tranny problem. Soon after a local mechanic ran his computer and shot all these codes.
P0740, P0871, P0734, P0944, P1790, P0846, P0732.

I was not going to risk it and drive it back to my city. So I was able to transfer it all the way to my city without driving it. Many of my family believe it could be an expensive fix, but if anyone can help with what it could maybe be, I would be greatly appreciate it. Don't be afraid to straight up tell me to get a new or rebuilt tranny.

Well, the worst case scenario is you need a new transmission, in which case a rebuilt 42RLE transmission is around $1500 plus labor to install it (I would figure around $500-$800 for labor).

So, at least it's not a BMW where you'd be paying 8k minimum for a new transmission.

The first place to start in this situation is to check the transmission fluid level and rule the most simple solution out.

With a 42RLE, you should check the transmission fluid while the vehicle is in park with the engine running. Start there and see what your fluid level is at.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Yes, I just don't like checking it in neutral. I guess if you want to pull the e-brake though, that works.

Reactions: Thunderhead
The first place to start in this situation is to check the transmission fluid level and rule the most simple solution out.

With a 42RLE, you should check the transmission fluid while the vehicle is in park with the engine running. Start there and see what your fluid level is at.
Would it be a good idea to do a Tranmission fluid complete change?

Well it definitely won’t hurt. Maybe check the fluid first to see the color and level.
Those are a lot of codes too.
How long have you had your TJ ?

Check the ATF level first and while you're at it look at the condition of the ATF on the dipstick. If it's still clear red I wouldn't waste time changing it.

Reactions: Bird and Chris
Well it definitely won’t hurt. Maybe check the fluid first to see the color and level.
Those are a lot of codes too.
How long have you had your TJ ?
I've had it for a year now! I bought it off a buddy of mine! He has well maintianed! no chech engine Whatsoever.