Jeep turns over but won't start. Also no gas or electric gauges

JeepmanDan

So I just bought another TJ (98 Sahara 4.0l 3spd automatic) and it sat for a little over a year battery was dead before it sat but would start and run rough. Fast forward now I’ve started to work on it and I have replaced: Battery, crank sensor, cam sensor, coil, distributor, wires, plugs, new 2ga ground & power cables, & battery terminals (as well as tons of other stuff not related to starting) any way, it still won’t start so I tried starter fluid to see if it would try and nothing. Then I put a plug in the feed wire for the distributor to see if it had power and nope none. I broke out the code reader and it won’t connect to computer. The other odditie is the gas and voltage gauges don’t register anything. I’m at my wits end anyone have a wiring diagram for starting side or any ideas where I should go???? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Head over to the TJ Resources forum and get a PDF of your manual, there's a wealth of info in there.

The signals for your gauges in the instrument cluster come via twisted databus pairs from your PCM. The facts that your gauges aren't working and you can't connect with your OBDII readers sound like a PCM issue, either the PCM has given up the ghost or you have power/ground issues with the PCM. Looking at your diagram (8W-30-2) it looks like B+ to the PCM goes through fuse 6 in your PDC, that could be an easy kill. It also gets turned on via the ignition signal from fuse 11 in your fuse block behind the glovebox.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/

I will download that for sure and I will look at those fuses. I checked all the under hood fuses and sprayed contacts with contact cleaner and made sure I had good contact. I was leaning towards the ecm but wanted to check out the connectors and trace it first. Thanks for your input and I will use it tomorrow. Big thumbs up!!!

Reactions: qslim
Update: checked all fuses and relays all are good. I’ve been looking at the manual to see if anything jumps out. I may buy new ecm any suggestions as to where to get one?

Thanks for the update. A lot of these never get to find out what was the cure. It helps a lot when people using the search function actually find a solution to the problem. 🍻

Reactions: Daryl