Jeep won't start, plus horrible grinding noise with new starter

EzPeezy

TJ Enthusiast
I was watching the Baja 1000 a couple of days ago near my house and I couldn't get the Jeep to start when it was time to leave. I tried rolling it down a hill and bump starting in reverse, which didn't work. I tried bump starting while being towed forward, which didn't work either. I got towed home and checked the fuses and relays. Everything looked fine, but I switched the starter relay out for the O2 sensor relay and the Jeep started right up. I yanked the starter, cleaned it up and fixed the solenoid trigger wire that had been coming loose, then reinstalled. It fired up 4 or 5 times in a row. I went for a 1/4 mile test drive, shut it off, and it fired up again no problem. I then drove another mile or so of kind of hard driving, and noticed that the battery voltage was going up past 14 (the middle on gauge), probably to 15-16v on the gauge. The Jeep wouldn't start again after I got home.

Yesterday I put in a new remanned starter from Autozone, but when installed it wouldn't seem to mesh with the flywheel and made some crazy grinding banging noises, which was great to hear. I pulled it out and noticed that the snout was about 1/8" taller than my original starter, so I figured that was the problem. I got the original starter rebuilt today, put it in and it does the same terrible banging grinding sound.

I feel like something is keeping the starter from spinning the flywheel, which probably explains why it wouldn't bump start when I attempted to. The weird thing about that is that once I got it started the other day it seemed to run fine. I need to check to see if something is jammed, and I guess I'll start with the inspection plate that the starter installs through. What else would keep it from starting when I can tell that the starter WANTS to start it?

There's a problem with the ignition that's been going on for a while but I don't know if that's related. I have a new ignition tumbler to put in but I'm apprehensive about it making a difference and I'd like to determine the problem before changing anything else. The problem is that the key can be removed while driving, but it will still go in to all positions.

The voltage being high points me towards either a problem with the alternator, which is practically brand new with maybe 1500 miles on it, or dirty connections. It's a 160ish amp alternator from a Durango. I went through and cleaned up all of the connections, so I don't feel like that's the problem any more. Really I feel like the high voltage was more of an 'also there' kind of problem and the real issue is whatever is keeping it from starting.

Any input would be 1,000% appreciated.

It's a 2002 5-speed 4.0 TJ :)

IF the system is over charging the regulator is internal to the ECU. You need to check the connections in the (3) 32 pin harness connectors. If they are loose or dirty; the ECU will not control the charge rate properly which may have been why your electrical system was charging at the higher voltages.

Last edited:
Reactions: EzPeezy
Check the ignition switch. I had a similar problem with my Focus. I know its not a Jeep, but might be worth checking out.

both starters are making the same terrible noise. It's a whirr like normal when the starter kicks out the gear, and then a horrible grinding banging sound.

The ignition switch was changed recently, just not the tumbler. The tumbler is the last part that hasn't been changed in that area.

IF the Bendix gear is not retracting that means there is continuous power to the solenoid. When the ignition switch goes from START and then to RUN while turning to start and releasing after the engine starts.
There may be a problem with the ignition switch or harness that plugs into the ignition switch.
The noise you are hearing is the engine running with the Bendix gear still engaged.

There is an issue somewhere with the electrical part too of course but get rid of that POS Autozone Duralast starter. Duralast is absolutely the worst quality junk. Especially for critical components like sensors, starters, alternators, radiators, etc.

YEAH.... I avoid AutoZone parts....
Rock Auto has a variety of starters to choose from including a Mopar remanufactured.

Rock Auto
Lol..
Rock auto sucks too unless you are getting oem.
These parts houses unless you're paying attention all pull from the same 2 or 3 Asian mfg facilities. They just get different paint and boxes. (Not joking)
Wait until you get some egg shaped drums brand new from Rock Auto. Now that's quality 👍

Reminds me of getting stranded with my 85 Bronco back in 90's. Jeep wouldn't start after a long day of hunting in central WA mountains. Got towed down the mountain and by PURE luck, on the corner of the dirt road we came down and the highway we ended at was a junkyard. Yanked a starter from an older E250 van and a headlight to replace the one that exploded from a rock thrown up by the tow vehicle. Then there was the blown tire 4 hours later. Would have been nice if my tire iron fit the aftermarket wheels... but a guy stopped with his Subaru and his tire iron fit. BUT, as luck would have it, an hour later the water pump blew up. Limped into a tiny town on a Saturday evening just as the last parts store that *didn't have the water pump closed. Thankfully the manager knew the owner of the other shop that was closed Sunday and was able to get him to open up the shop for us to get the water pump and tools for the repair.

Long story short... got home and decided to replace the used E250 starter with a reman'd unit from Kragen auto parts. It made the exact same grinding noises. Took it back and they gave me another. Same results. Went back to the used starter from the E250 and it lasted the life of the Bronco. So you might want to go to a junk yard and pick up a used starter from another TJ and see what your results are.

It seems odd that two starters would do the same thing though - and I'm pretty sure there's something getting in the way and keeping the starter from turning the flywheel fully, hence the horrible crunchy grinding noise. I'm going to try turning the motor over with a ratchet so see if it will spin freely.

Can you check that the flywheel teeth are intact? If a bad starter ground them down, no starter would ever be able to properly engage them. Perhaps rotate the engine manually a half turn and then try again. (That would only work if only a small section of teeth are damaged.)

Reactions: 4BY4ADV and EzPeezy