Jeep won't start

Wyeth Bernardin

I go to start my jeep and it cranks 2 or 3 times very slowly befor stopping. Did this for the first time the other night where I had driven to a location and stopped for a couple hours but when I went to drive home this happened. The gauge says the battery is at 11 or 12. I also just installed some led turn signals but had driven a while with the before any of this started. Any thoughts?

Check your connections on the battery and starter. Also check the voltage your battery has after it has been setting for a couple hours or take it by a parts store and have them check it.

Fun little fact about car batteries - even though it's a 12volt system, it requires slightly more charge on the battery than 12volts. Once it's reading below 13-14 on the dash, it's probably time for a new battery.

Have to be careful going by the gauge. It is measuring the voltage as the battery is being charged by the alternator. The alternator is putting out 14.5 volts to run the system and charge the battery. The battery itself when the vehicle is not running is at 12.6 volts if good. Each battery has 6 cells that are 2.1 volts each and total the 12.6v. If your battery is not holding a charge it will drop below this 12.6 after sitting for a short time.

Reactions: PStov98TJ