Jeep won't start

Mason_K1

Hey yall, I'm new to the site and I'm having trouble with my jeep starting. It's a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. I read through a few of the treads regarding starting issues but didn't really see this specific issue. It ran yesterday just fine, but when I cranked it today it would just keep turning over, trying to crank but it wouldn't. The battery was reading slightly low so I charged it for a while and then tried to crank it again. It read normal amps but still just kept turning over. I changed the spark plugs maybe 2-3k miles ago and made sure they were properly gapped but could spark plugs be the problem? The Jeep doesn't make any clicking noises at all and after attempting to crank it, it slightly smelled like fuel. If I hit the gas while holding the key in the crank position, it sounded like it would ignite but then it would quickly shut off again. I'm by no means an expert at anything automotive so I'm trying to learn (hopefully I've explained this decently), but if y'all have any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. If I need to clarify anything or re-explain anything, please let me know and I will try. Thanks in advance everyone, I appreciate it.

Do you have fuel pressure hopefully not a fuel pump? My 99 I can check pressure under the hood driver side valve.Maybee Cranshaft position sensor.
I dont know much but these were the two issues I had. Same symptom as you.
Good luck.

Do you have fuel pressure hopefully not a fuel pump? My 99 I can check pressure under the hood driver side valve.Maybee Cranshaft position sensor.
Good luck.
Thanks for these suggestions. I'll definitely check both tomorrow morning and see how it goes

Good luck.
yea i was thinking the same thing. when you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump come on in the tank ? if so, remove a plug and check for spark. fuel pump aint too bad just changed mine yesterday due to a faulty sending unit, took about 3 hrs. new pump was about $150

The problem is either gas or spark...
You could try removing the air tube from the throttlebody and pour an ounce of gas down the throat of the throttlebody and crank the engine.
IF the engine fires then the problem is not spark, but a lack of fuel; IF it doesn't fire up then the problem is spark.

Reactions: tr21triton
yea i was thinking the same thing. when you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump come on in the tank ? if so, remove a plug and check for spark. fuel pump aint too bad just changed mine yesterday due to a faulty sending unit, took about 3 hrs. new pump was about $150
I can definitely hear the fuel pump come on, so I don't know that it's that. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow morning and check them. Could it maybe be the ignition coil? The jeep has over 260K on the clock and I know it's the stock ignition coil

The problem is either gas or spark...
You could try removing the air tube from the throttlebody and pour an ounce of gas down the throat of the throttlebody and crank the engine.
IF the engine fires then the problem is not spark, but a lack of fuel; IF it doesn't fire up then the problem is spark.
Okay, I'll pull the throttle body tomorrow and give this a shot if the spark plugs look good. If they're bad, I'll get new ones and then test ignition. If that fails, then I'll give this a shot. Thank you

Pulled the spark plugs this morning

IMG_2240.jpeg

Trust me when I tell you....and too many people just refuse thinking ill get away without one...

You really need to get a fuel pressure gauge. It will come in handy in your life. I assure you that.

You may hear the FP running but whats the pressure? It might run but weak as hell. Plugged up...whatever.
That will immediately confirm or rule out fuel issue.

Reactions: HYRYSC
I'll grab a fuel pressure gauge when I head to the parts store in a little while and I'm gonna replace the spark plugs since a few of them are definitely looking rough. I'll update everyone later in the day once I've got everything swapped. Thanks again yall

Update: Jeep started up just fine. Replaced all the spark plugs and tested the fuel pressure. The pressure gauge read exactly what the book said it should, and then when I tried to crank the jeep it started right up. Thanks all for your suggestions and advice.

Hmmmmmm - I’d be real concerned as to what caused the plug fouling. IIRC - you said you had changed plugs 2-3k miles ago. Other than the crud across the spark gaps on 2, 5, and 6, they don’t look that bad to me.

You might be right back to the same issue again in another 2-3k miles.