Jeep Wrangler frames and the half/fast repairs I have seen this week

KenR955

As some of you know, I sold my 98TJ because it didn't fit my needs for carrying as much as my Cherokee did. Having said that, I'm still looking for a Cherokee, but I have come to the conclusion that I really don't want one, so I'm looking for another TJ. I will make it work. Ya don't know what you've got till it's gone and all of that.
Anyway.... Sunday I went to look at TJ #1. All went well till I looked under the frame where it goes from the passenger side floor up under where the passenger's feet would be. I found a rotted hole, patched with fiberglass and covered with undercoating. From normal driving and hitting bumps and potholes and whatnot, the hole had turned into cracking around half the perimiter of the frame. The seller was less than pleased when I informed them of the issues. I passed on that one.
TJ#2 was Monday. The rear of the frame on both sides where it goes up parallel to the sides of the gas tank, had rotted out. It had been filled with foam, like Great Stuff spray foam, smoothed over with caulk, then covered with undercoating. It was hard to see till I saw it, then it was quite obvious. I passed on that one too.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Why not just get the frame welded by a pro and the frame will be safe to drive and sell?

Rant over.
Back to your normally scheduled programming.

Thank you for letting me vent.

KenR955

Ahhh, I knew you'd be back. This is one of those vehicles you simply can't sell without missing dearly (I know from experience). You sell it, and then you wonder why you ever did.

Some of those frame repairs are dangerous. Truth be told, I wouldn't even touch a TJ with a frame repair unless it was extremely minor, or it was very, very professionally done.

As most of us veteran TJ owners know, it takes some time to find one with a clean frame (especially in areas where they salt the roads), but even if you have to wait months to find the perfect TJ, it's worth waiting!

Sounds like you've been dealing with some serious hack jobs.

As some of you know, I sold my 98TJ because it didn't fit my needs for carrying as much as my Cherokee did. Having said that, I'm still looking for a Cherokee, but I have come to the conclusion that I really don't want one, so I'm looking for another TJ. I will make it work. Ya don't know what you've got till it's gone and all of that.
Anyway.... Sunday I went to look at TJ #1. All went well till I looked under the frame where it goes from the passenger side floor up under where the passenger's feet would be. I found a rotted hole, patched with fiberglass and covered with undercoating. From normal driving and hitting bumps and potholes and whatnot, the hole had turned into cracking around half the perimiter of the frame. The seller was less than pleased when I informed them of the issues. I passed on that one.
TJ#2 was Monday. The rear of the frame on both sides where it goes up parallel to the sides of the gas tank, had rotted out. It had been filled with foam, like Great Stuff spray foam, smoothed over with caulk, then covered with undercoating. It was hard to see till I saw it, then it was quite obvious. I passed on that one too.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Why not just get the frame welded by a pro and the frame will be safe to drive and sell?

Rant over.
Back to your normally scheduled programming.

Thank you for letting me vent.

KenR955
Are you willing to travel? There are aome nice ones on eBay. A few post every week or so go into the ebay thread here.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Example: 2012 JKR, unmolested, low miles, soft top and HALF DOORS, manual transmission. The only one that I could find, anywhere was in Oklahoma. It was sorely tempting.

If you're willing to travel, the deals are out there. I went 600 miles to get my little SE.

Ive seen some horrific and frankly, disgusting things at used car lots. In fact, most times if I see what 'looks like' a nice TJ in a lot, I'll stop and inspect it. Every single one I've ever seen in NJ, w the exception of ONE, had rust issues or some type of 'cover up.' And the asking prices, ridiculous! I point it out right to the salesmen and they never debate. Some have said the typical, "lets work out a price." [emoji1603]

I personally think that a stock TJ and even some YJ's look beautiful as is. Much better proportionately that JK's off the line. So I can't help keep an eye out for those gems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive seen some horrific and frankly, disgusting things at used car lots. In fact, most times if I see what 'looks like' a nice TJ in a lot, I'll stop and inspect it. Every single one I've ever seen in NJ, w the exception of ONE, had rust issues or some type of 'cover up.' And the asking prices, ridiculous! I point it out right to the salesmen and they never debate. Some have said the typical, "lets work out a price." [emoji1603]

I personally think that a stock TJ and even some YJ's look beautiful as is. Much better proportionately that JK's off the line. So I can't help keep an eye out for those gems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TJ's and some YJ's are just good looking rigs. Not really looking for a JKR, I've got the SE, right? I guess the point I was trying to make was, if you want a clean, sound, unmolested TJ your odds are greatly increased by being willing to go to the Jeep. They are out there, still. The pool is getting shallower all the time though.

I'm with the others, be willing to travel to find a good one. As far as space, have you considered the LJ? Bit more room than a TJ but will cost more initially.

Thanks guys, it kinda seems like a losing battle some days.

What am I looking for?
First and foremost I would like a six cylinder, 5 speed, hardtop. As well as the 4 cylinder went, it sure was underpowered on the highway, and there are lots of 4,5 and 6 lane highways on my way to work. A hard top might remove the "top down fun", but security is much greater. A five speed because, well, because I don't mind shifting gears!
Mechanically, I can fix almost anything, but my body work skills do not exist.
Budget is about $6500, give or take.
I will travel to find a good solid Jeep, but who do you get to look at it and are their skills better than mine? That question I can't answer. I have friends in a few states who will help. But having seen the butcher job repairs and the gaping holes in frames claimed to be non rusty, I am leery of most sellers, both private and dealer.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

KenR955

*** Edited to say, I didn't mean for this to be a "Wanted" post, altho it does kinda sound like it.
Mods, if it needs to be moved or deleted, Please do what you need to to make it right for this forum
Thanks
KR

Last edited:
In my neck of the woods, solid, unmolested TJs are in the 9k range. Have you considered raising the budget just a bit?

$6500 affords for what might need fixing, so yeah, if an $8k TJ need no work, I'm cool with that. However I have not seen any vehicle that needs nothing fixed.
I looked at a 06 LJ for $8k and it needed about $800 of work plus 4 new tires. That makes it a $10K Jeep.
I can't spend that much. It was the best Wrangler I have seen yet tho......

But $6500 has found you nothing but rotted frames. I'm just suggesting to bump up your search parameters a bit to give you more options.

Edited to say
I agree that upping the amount I am willing to spend will open up possibilities to better and better vehicles, but it will reach my upper limit of budget and the want to spend that much, very quickly.

The one I sold for $5k had no rot. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I recently picked up an '02 TJ at a great price - knowing it needed some frame repair. It only had 80k miles! Picked up both driver and passenger side trailer arm kits from Morris 4x4 and had them professionally welded. Good as new and solid as a rock. I'm very pleased with my purchase and its ride!

Just thought I'd stop back in and say "Hi!"
I ended up buying another Cherokee and am currently driving it about once a week. It does the job, but it does not have the "Smiles per gallon" of the Wrangler. Someday, I will have another TJ. I hope you guys don't mind if I stick around and contribute where I can.

Ken R

By all means, please do stick around. You'll be back in a TJ, one day. There's no way you can stay away from these things forever, that's for sure.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I ended up buying another Cherokee and am currently driving it about once a week. It does the job, but it does not have the "Smiles per gallon" of the Wrangler. Someday, I will have another TJ. I hope you guys don't mind if I stick around and contribute where I can.

Ken R
Cherokee questions pop up periodically, and it seems you are very well versed on that model Jeep, so stay around for sure! It might drive you nuts, though, all the talk about the TJ you no longer have...

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara

Ken R
Heck no, hang out. It will only fuel your desire for another TJ :D