Jeep Wrangler TJ 42RLE automatic transmission problems

Eastbank

I have an automatic transmission and when it is cold or sets for awhile, I start it up and when I take off and it shifts for the first time, it kicks real hard and sometimes does it two or three times when I stop and pull out again. Jeep Wrangler 65th anniversary edition with a v6

How many miles are on it? Check the fluid level in the transmission (with the dipstick) and see if it's low or not, as well as what color the fluid is.

An automatic transmission shifts gears by changing which of the planetary gears are moving, held stationary or coupled to the input or output shafts. These changes are made by a series of clutches and bands and are activated by pressure changes of the transmission fluid. As these clutches and bands wear out it can cause your shifts to feel sloppy, take longer or even have the engine over rev. The wear of these clutches and bands is accelerated by having dirty transmission fluid circulating cause excessive wear and premature failure. In this case, a transmission rebuild is the only thing that can solve the problem.

Automatic transmissions--just like manual transmissions--don't last forever before they need a rebuild. In a manual transmission typically it's just the clutch and pressure plate you end up replacing, but auto trannies need to be rebuilt over time as well, and if you're mileage is in the 100k+ range it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that it's in need of a rebuild.

Thanks Chris, yes it has 108,000 on it.

There's a possibility it needs a rebuild then. However, I would check your transmission fluid level first and see if it's low and see what color the fluid is.

Try flooring it when you're driving down the road. If it shifts really hard that's definitely not good news.

Reactions: Eastbank
Has it always lived on a pure diet of ATF+4 or could anyone have added a non-ATF+4 to it? And as suggested by Chris, check your ATF to see if it's up to level and that it still has the nice clear red color to it. Also check it for a burnt odor indicating it needs to be flushed out with fresh ATF+4.

To check the ATF level, the engine must be running and warmed up,

Reactions: Eastbank and Chris
Has it always lived on a pure diet of ATF+4 or could anyone have added a non-ATF+4 to it? And as suggested by Chris, check your ATF to see if it's up to level and that it still has the nice clear red color to it. Also check it for a burnt odor indicating it needs to be flushed out with fresh ATF+4.

To check the ATF level, the engine must be running and warmed up,
Thanks Jerry, I really wouldn't know about the ATF, it had 104,000 miles on it when I bought it. I love my Jeep, I wish I hadn't waited so long to get one.

Reactions: Ron505
Thanks Jerry, I really wouldn't know about the ATF, it had 104,000 miles on it when I bought it. I love my Jeep, I wish I hadn't waited so long to get one.

Well, let us know what you find out about the fluid level and fluid color!

Welcome to Wrangler ownership, glad you love it!

Have another question to throw in the loop when in reverse mine feels real sluggish and needs a lot of motivation to get moving but when going foward it takes nothing? It has 3.73 gears with 33s

Have another question to throw in the loop when in reverse mine feels real sluggish and needs a lot of motivation to get moving but when going foward it takes nothing? It has 3.73 gears with 33s

It's hard to say without driving it, but given the gearing and the tire size, that very well could be normal. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless it was bogging big time (or almost dying at idle) when you put it in reverse.

Well, let us know what you find out about the fluid level and fluid color!

Welcome to Wrangler ownership, glad you love it!
I know it has been awhile, but I checked my fluid. Level is ok, the color of the fluid was a mid brownish color, not dark, but not light neither. I found some Castrol 06810 Transmax ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid on sale at my Advance auto parts store. While I was picking it up, the guys asked me if I needed a gasket and filter. I said no I ordered one off Amazon, and then they started telling me this and that about jeep wranglers,,,lol, They said they wouldn't change the fluid just the filter and re use the old fluid. And to make sure to use a Genuine Mopar OEM product for the filter. So what do you guys say about this, thanks.

Reactions: GTERDN
It is a widely spread notion that changing automatic transmission oil in such conditions will cause the automatic transmission to fail because the fluid that has been in the transmission for a long time has become dirty and gritty. According to this notion, this gritty fluid is actually providing needed friction for the worn internal components of the transmission. Therefore, changing the fluid would remove this added friction supplement that the internal transmission parts now need to operate properly, which would cause the transmission to slip or suffer some type of catastrophic failure.

I've never seen any scientific data or studies to back this notion up. That being said, if it were my vehicle personally I would change the fluid. Some people will tell you not to, while others (like myself) will tell you to.

Again, I believe what they're telling you is a myth. I'd love to see some solid evidence that either proves or disproves this myth.

I would change the fluid. It's a myth and if something does go awry, it was going to happen whether you changed the fluid or not.
If it helps the disks from slipping it's also chewing every other rotating, meshing, sealing surface. This myth was probably started by a trannny repair shop next to Friendlt feloow' used car lot! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Chris and Eastbank
I found this and thought it was interesting. Thought I would share it. The transmission starts to experience harsh 1-2 shifts. Most times a fluid and filter change will solve this problem. Be sure to use the correct transmission fluid recommended by Chrysler to prevent further damage to the transmission. It is also recommended that a power flush service be done to remove old fluid and debris from the cooler, cooler lines and the torque converter. http://etereman.com/blog/fiat-transmission/what-problems-plague-the-chrysler-42lre-transmission

Reactions: Chris
Well guys I know it has been awhile, but I finally got around to changing filter and some fluid. You guys were right, I changed the filter... it had a date stamped on it, original filter. added the fluid to fill it back up. I couldn't find anyone, even the junk yards that had the short piece of line to connect to outlet side of cooler on radiator to do the whole flush. But anyways I added fluid shifted thru the gears park to low slowing a few times, checked fluid again, good on the stick. Drove the Jeep for a test drive, couldn't have been more happier. Shifted like a new one, smooth all the way up and down. Thank all you guys, but Chris you and Jerry are the main men when it comes to Jeeps, Thanks. I made a donation to the Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum.... thanks again guys.

Reactions: Stinger