Jeep Wrangler TJ Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Well, when I looked for threads to do this *Camshaft Position Sensor change, I found a few, but all the details in those threads didn't match my jeep's location for the sensor.

Anyway, this is how it goes on my 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ, with the 4.0 engine.

Old sensor in place, right next to the oil filter:

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

Old sensor next to the new sensor:

DSC00825.jpg

New sensor installed:

DSC00826.jpg

That's it! This is a super easy job. There's nothing about this job that is even remotely difficult.

05 and 06 have slightly different setup than previous years. 05 and 06 have a different OPDA assembly (which was faulty from the factory)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He is correct, I have an 04 and 05 Rubicon. 04 setup as original poster's picture. 05 has the larger oil pump drive assembly. I will be replacing both soon. Funny my 04 is making the sounds described as the 05 and 06 do but my 05 isn't... I'm replacing both to be safe.

Reactions: rubicube and Chris
He is correct, I have an 04 and 05 Rubicon. 04 setup as original poster's picture. 05 has the larger oil pump drive assembly. I will be replacing both soon. Funny my 04 is making the sounds described as the 05 and 06 do but my 05 isn't... I'm replacing both to be safe.

Yes, this is correct. It's different on the 05-06 models with the larger OPDA. Though my understanding is that even on the 04, it still functions the same as the OPDA with a drive gear on the bottom of that unit that is turned by the camshaft, it's just smaller I guess?

Reactions: Wade Durbin
I Believe you're correct Chris on that. I'm trying to find some good reviews or videos of somebody doing work on the 04 or earlier models before I dive into it. (Brands to use, what all to replace) Plenty out there on the 05 and 06. If anybody knows a good video or write up for the earlier models, please share!

I Believe you're correct Chris on that. I'm trying to find some good reviews or videos of somebody doing work on the 04 or earlier models before I dive into it. (Brands to use, what all to replace) Plenty out there on the 05 and 06. If anybody knows a good video or write up for the earlier models, please share!

If you find something, please share it here as well. I too have also never seen anything on the years prior to 05-06. I have to imagine the procedure is the same, but I could be wrong.

Chris,

Best write up I have found so far is on this page: https://bit.ly/2Fempqq

It does look very similar to the 05 and 06 process. Probably will just buy the crown oil pump drive gear (fits 2000 to 2004) and use original camshaft position sensor that mounts on top unless I conclude it's bad too after installing.

Chris,

Best write up I have found so far is on this page: https://bit.ly/2Fempqq

It does look very similar to the 05 and 06 process. Probably will just buy the crown oil pump drive gear (fits 2000 to 2004) and use original camshaft position sensor that mounts on top unless I conclude it's bad too after installing.

Yep, that looks pretty much like the same procedure as the 05-06 unit!

Installed new crown opda in my 05 Rubicon this evening while reusing the old sensor. Didn't look too bad to me but for the peace of mind, it was definitely worth it.

Reactions: Chris
Ah, now for the golden question: Can you use a 2004 Camshaft Synchronizer and a 2004 Camshaft position sensor on a 2005 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 to get away from the problematic 2005 & 2006 Camshaft Synchronizer? Anyone tried it?

Ah, now for the golden question: Can you use a 2004 Camshaft Synchronizer and a 2004 Camshaft position sensor on a 2005 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 to get away from the problematic 2005 & 2006 Camshaft Synchronizer? Anyone tried it?

No, you can't.

So, how did you know your sensors were going out? Some one said their 04 was making noises. My jeep is not making noises, my jeep just shuts off. My entire dash goes dead. And my check engine light comes on. Some times it starts back up, some times it does not. So I bought a reader and I keep getting the same 4 codes. I just bought the 2 sensors today. Will put them on when I get home

20190329_005204.jpg

20190329_005217.jpg

20190329_005143.jpg

20190414_175055.jpg

So, how did you know your sensors were going out? Some one said their 04 was making noises. My jeep is not making noises, my jeep just shuts off. My entire dash goes dead. And my check engine light comes on. Some times it starts back up, some times it does not. So I bought a reader and I keep getting the same 4 codes. I just bought the 2 sensors today. Will put them on when I get home

I'm assuming (and hoping) you bought Mopar sensors?

When mine went bad the Jeep would start and then just shut off. In addition, it was throwing codes indicating a bad CPS.

So first post here, I have an 06 Unlimited with the new OPDA. I'm only the second owner, bought it with 128k miles. No records that the OPDA has been replaced, so I'm looking to do that.

At the moment I have a rough idle which comes and goes, typically only happens after driving for a little while and I stop at a light. No stalling, no surging of revs etc. Just feels like a really slight misfire and occasionally feels like it wants to stall out, but never does. RPMs stay around 700 and are pretty steady.

Given it seems like the timing is fluctuating with the subtle misfire, I figured I would start with replacing the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors to see if that fixes things. Where do you guys find the Mopar sensors?
The part number I found for the '05-06 Camshaft sensor is 5149034AA but I can't seem to find a genuine sensor anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm here the correct part number for the Crankshaft sensor would be: 4727451AA correct?

This seems like a simple job (especially since I'm coming from the BMW world where you have to remove 10,000 parts just to get to the sensors) so hopefully I can get this sorted and move onto the mods!