Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

Anything will crack if you hit it hard enough. However, I like to think the U.S. Military uses Truck Lite LED headlights for a reason.

I'd be willing to bed that one of those reasons is the lenses don't shatter very easily.
This must be new, or only in the Army, I remember using standard incandescent headlights on everything in the Marine Corps.

This must be new, or only in the Army, I remember using standard incandescent headlights on everything in the Marine Corps.

I should have been more specific, it's an Army thing. They had them on a lot of the vehicles when I was in.

I stumbled upon this and it seems like a worthy consideration for anybody looking to update to LED.

Quadratec is offering their GEN II Stealth Headlights for $299 a pair (Free Shipping, No Tax)

If you are part of wranglerforum, you can get a 10% discount which drops price to $269.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0002_14.htm

If you look at the Lights, they sure look like Re Badged United Pacific Units, which are going for $195 each on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6WS5SW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

These units use Phillips LEDs.

I did some google searches and the reviews are positive.

If you look at the Lights, they sure look like Re Badged United Pacific Units, which are going for $195 each on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6WS5SW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Haha... After you posted this, I reached out to one of my contacts in China (whose English happens to be very good). He's a nice guy who oversees a lot of manufacturing of LED lights in China. I asked him about the Quadratec ones you mentioned as well as a United Pacific units. He said they are both manufactured by the same factory in China, just re-branded as you said.

Not surprising at all. He's told me this before, that if you see a light that looks similar to another one, it's because they're made in the exact same factory, different retailers just have the option of branding them for their own name. Makes perfect sense from a manufacturing perspective.

That's one of the reasons I cringe when people pay $700 for JW Speakers, when the knock-off version costs around $120 for a pair, and is made in the same factory, using the same molds, etc.

Reactions: FTI76
Has anyone ever investigated or tried H4 LED conversion kits ? I see there are a some companies including Superbright LED's who have LED bulbs to fit H4 converted headlight housings. Just an idea I'm thinking about. I don't do much off road driving and I have KC converted headlight assemblies already.

Reactions: Van and FTI76
Has anyone ever investigated or tried H4 LED conversion kits ? I see there are a some companies including Superbright LED's who have LED bulbs to fit H4 converted headlight housings. Just an idea I'm thinking about. I don't do much off road driving and I have KC converted headlight assemblies already.

I was wondering about this also but I can't find anybody who's done it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These do come with a lifetime warranty and are made to fit converted TJ headlights that use H4 bulbs. What I like about these bulbs is that they are made to reflect against the housing the same way a reg H4 bulb does, so that you don't blind anyone. I've bought many bulbs from this company and they do stand behind their product.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...version-kit-with-compact-heat-sink/3929/8565/

You don't want to go this route. My friend has Hella housings with H4 LED Bulbs in them. While the light output is better than stock, it's nowhere near as good as my Truck Lites.

This is the same principal as putting HIDs in a halogen housing, it's a huge no-no. Different types of bulbs were meant for different types of housings. When you throw an LED bulb (or HID bulb) in a housing with reflectors meant for halogens, it will be bright, but the light output is scattered, technically illegal, and will often times blind other drivers.

Please, do not do this. If you're on a budget, just save up. You can get a nice set of LED lights for $120, of if you're stuck on halogen lights, you can get the Cibie 7" H4 Headlights, Hella 7" Vision Plus H4 Headlights or KC HiLiTES 7" H4 Headlights.

I'm not just making this stuff up either. Talk to anyone who is a lighting engineer and they'll verify this.

You don't want to go this route. My friend has Hella housings with H4 LED Bulbs in them. While the light output is better than stock, it's nowhere near as good as my Truck Lites.

This is the same principal as putting HIDs in a halogen housing, it's a huge no-no. Different types of bulbs were meant for different types of housings. When you throw an LED bulb (or HID bulb) in a housing with reflectors meant for halogens, it will be bright, but the light output is scattered, technically illegal, and will often times blind other drivers.

Please, do not do this. If you're on a budget, just save up. You can get a nice set of LED lights for $120, of if you're stuck on halogen lights, you can get the Cibie 7" H4 Headlights, Hella 7" Vision Plus H4 Headlights or KC HiLiTES 7" H4 Headlights.

I'm not just making this stuff up either. Talk to anyone who is a lighting engineer and they'll verify this.

At least we have an answer :)

Reactions: Chris
At least we have an answer :)

Yep! I see guys who do this with HID bulbs (and LED) in housings meant for halogen bulbs. It is always brighter, but the light output isn't very usable at all, because the reflectors shoot the light every which way. If you look at how LED bulbs (and HID) are designed, they often times put them in projector housings because of the way that light is output from those bulbs.

I remember 5 or 6 years ago doing crap tons of research about this. It all made perfect sense, I think most people just don't think about it.

Reactions: Sahara 00
These are the same ones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010BWQOW4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those have also been tried and tested and work very well. They are JW Speaker replicas, which as you know (if you read the first post in this thread) are some of the best LED headlights out there.

They are A LOT cheaper on that Amazon link (those ones you posted cost more than Truck Lines, which is a joke!), and you're buying them from a reputable place (Amazon) which will return them no questions asked if you don't like them.

If you haven't dealt with Amazon before on returns and customer service, you're missing out big time.

I installed the Rampage H4 halogens today. About a 30 mins start to finish, only tool needed was a T15 torx bit.

Here is what the kit includes: housings, bulbs, boots, just like any H4 set up
View attachment 12104

All ready to install
View attachment 12108

Here is the light installed, not much to it really
View attachment 12105

Need to double check aiming and install trim rings. You can adjust with the ring in place if you have a long tipped T15. I don't, so I will wait to put them back on. Overall good deal for 77 bucks.
thanks for the write up and pix. I am going with these. on a budget so not needing LED, plus I want the heat off lenses for when it snows and I am not crazy about the look of LED. I know the Cibies (not even sure they are DOT) and Hella etc are more popular but I like to be a bit different and see these got great reviews on amazon.

I didn't go through all the pages so I'm not sure if this was posted, but these guys have a pretty good video on almost all the headlights you might want to swap in.

I used the image in the very first post of the thread. The video is a bit more informative, but I tried to cover almost all of it in the first post.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
Yup, I just like the beam shots he has in the videos. Made me want some truck lights, seem like a good bang for the buck over jw speakers.

I have the Truck Lites and really love them. I always rave to people about how well they light up the road at night. Truly a great headlight for the money.