Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I've got the Cibies too, but for the money of the Ebay ones, I'm thinking about giving them a shot. Not much to lose.

Great find!! Thanks!!!

Reactions: Chris
Any idea how these compare to upgraded H4 headlights?

I did Cibies with Phillips X-treme Vision 60/55 bulbs last summer. The improvement over factory were great but I’m still not 100% happy especially compared to the lights in our DDs.
Since you are using “legal” wattages for your halogen bulbs, I think these lights are probably better and the color temperature is more to my liking (white). If you put in relays and wiring to support higher wattage bulbs, I think your Cibies would make you pretty happy. For less than $80, these LED lights are working well for me :)

Reactions: MikeM
I noticed in the OP that he didn't know of any reputable HID options for TJs.

I e-mailed a light shop that I've used for my other vehicle (which I love) and they replied that they have a couple options. I have not used any of the following products - I'm just conveying that they're available.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/complete-retrofit-kits/7-inch-complete.html

For starters, they offer Revision 2.0, Revision 2.0 Signature and Revision 2.0 Chroma for HIDs.

2.0 are HID and projectors with angel eyes, 2.0 Signature are "devil eyes" meaning red centers and the 2.0 Chroma allow various color settings for the angle eye.

They also offer Morimoto Sealed 7" Bi-LED as well as Morimoto SUPER7 Bi-LED.

I have the knock off amazon ORA, Sun..... leds. Loving them so far. Needed to really adjust the lights a lot! Don’t get flashed and I can incredibly well now! The white light is pretty amazing.
I’m hoping that they will last longer than a year., not sure what’s realistic. I’ve had significant impact this winter while fooling around in the snow.., at least the lights are still going strong!

911343bd313229ad54b9941b2ae913b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and MikeM
Please excuse my ignorance. I'm not sure if it has been explained already in the post but could someone explain to me exactly what the halo "look" or function is? Is it just a type of LED headlight with the angel-like ring for aesthetics or is there a legitimate reason they're made this way? Asking out of genuine curiosity.

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm not sure if it has been explained already in the post but could someone explain to me exactly what the halo "look" or function is? Is it just a type of LED headlight with the angel-like ring for aesthetics or is there a legitimate reason they're made this way? Asking out of genuine curiosity.

"Halos" or "Angel Eyes" (same thing), are nothing more than an aesthetic thing. They serve no purpose other than looks, and have nothing to do with the actual light output of the headlight. Some people like them, others don't.

"Halos" or "Angel Eyes" (same thing), are nothing more than an aesthetic thing. They serve no purpose other than looks, and have nothing to do with the actual light output of the headlight. Some people like them, others don't.
Thanks Chris, I'm considering upgrading my headlights and didn't know if there was a distinct benefit to the halo's. I'm not a big fan but if there was an advantage I would consider. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Chris, I'm considering upgrading my headlights and didn't know if there was a distinct benefit to the halo's. I'm not a big fan but if there was an advantage I would consider. Thanks for the info.
No problem, happy to help!

What @Chris said, but they fulfill the duty of DOT approved daytime running lights for driving too.

What @Chris said, but they fulfill the duty of DOT approved daytime running lights for driving too.

The entire "DOT approved" thing is a farce. It literally means nothing and has no legal standing whatsoever. I just wanted to point this out, since I see many people talking about "well these headlights are DOT approved, and these ones aren't...".

See below:

Below are 16 quotes linked to their corresponding NHTSA letters taken from NHTSA's webside (Acrobat PDFs). As you can see, the NHTSA/DOT does NOT approve equipment. As such, "DOT Approved" helmets do not exist. So how can folks like those in Louisiana comply with their law? They can't! Still doubtful? Call NHTSA 202-366-9511.

"It [DOT sticker] does not represent any "approval" by DOT. We [NHTSA] have no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' vehicles or equipment." 8/15/02, Jacqueline Glassman, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"You also mentioned that 'all the assembly parts . . . are already D.O.T. approved parts.' We do not know what you mean by this statement. The Department of Transportation neither approves nor disapproves parts. ...Trintex may not represent that the Cord is 'D.O.T. approved;' you must not use this expression in any manner in connection with this product." 3/21/01, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"This term [DOT approved] has no basis in either fact or law. We have no authority to approve or disapprove items of motor vehicle equipment." 6/26/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"...as a matter of law, there is no such thing as 'D.O.T. approved parts.' We [NHTSA] have no authority to approve or disapprove motor vehicles or equipment items." 6/5/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"You use the term 'dot approved,' but we have no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' vehicle lighting equipment, and such language is improper." 6/20/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"NHTSA neither approves, disapproves, endorses, tests, nor grants clearances for products prior to their introduction into the retail market." 3/23/99, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"NHTSA does not approve, disapprove, endorse, test, or grant clearances for products prior to their introduction into the retail market." 3/23/99, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"DOT has no authority to approve or disapprove any equipment item..." 9/22/98, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"The Department has no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' items of equipment, nor are there any 'D.O.T. licensing requirements,'" 5/13/98, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"D.O.T. itself has no authority to 'approve' or 'not approve' any item of equipment and the phrase 'D.O.T. approved' has no meaning and should not be used."4/8/98, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"...applicable laws do not provide authority for 'DOT approval' of vehicles or equipment items." 6/16/97, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"The phrase 'DOT/SAE approved' should never be used. DOT does not have the authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' motor vehicle equipment... In cases where 'DOT/SAE approved' appears on auxiliary lamps and their packages, the marking is meaningless." 1/8/97 John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"You have used the term 'DOT-approved' equipment which reflects a common misconception that the agency approves equipment. The agency has no authority to approve or disapprove any vehicle or equipment item."5/9/96, Samuel Dubbin, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"...your use of the words "DOT approved" reflects a common misconception. We have no authority to approve or disapprove lighting equipment." 12/22/95, Samuel Dubbin, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"...neither NHTSA nor the Department of Transportation (DOT) approves, endorses, certifies, or gives assurances of compliance of any product." 5/18/94, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.

The part I like about halos and Angel eyes is they're able to serve as daytime running lights without having to turn your lights on.

The entire "DOT approved" thing is a farce. It literally means nothing and has no legal standing whatsoever. I just wanted to point this out, since I see many people talking about "well these headlights are DOT approved, and these ones aren't...".

I wasn't trying to start an argument - my point was they are built to standards and they provide adequate daytime running light illumination for places that require them.

I wasn't trying to start an argument - my point was they are built to standards and they provide adequate daytime running light illumination for places that require them.

Oh no, I wasn’t intending on starting argument. I was just pointing out that there is no such thing as DOT approved aftermarket headlights (or any product for that matter).

Sorry if I came across as argumentative. I simply want people to know that "DOT Approved" means nothing at all on an aftermarket LED headlight. The DOT does not "approve" things like this.

I have Quadratec Gen 2 LED headlights in my TJ and I love them. They are a huge improvement over stock headlights and I can actually see at night. The light output is amazing and about as bright as my dads Lexus RX350. I didnt need to make any adjustments to the aim and I have never been flashed by other drivers.

I MAY have the go ahead from the wife to buy LED headlights. The key word here is MAY.

I’m still undecided if I want the KC or the heated truck lites.

What got me is that a couple weeks ago, one of the local news stations was recommending everyone to clean off your headlights because of the ice. That’s where the heated truck lites would shine.
(Get it? Shine? Hahahaha)

I’m also a fan of the KC lights. I have their fog, driving, and spot lights. The kicker is that I feel like I’d have to replace them with LED once I replace the factory headlights. Of course I could always have ALL KC LED lights, which would be cool.

I need more money.

Also @Chris needs to review his new headlights. That could also be an option for me.

I’ve got them all installed and everything. I’ve just been waiting for the damn rain to stop (it never lets up here), so that I can actually take some decent photos of the light output!

The light output on these things is phenomenal! My neighbor commented yesterday and how bright my lights were.

Reactions: lovemachine
I’ve got them all installed and everything. I’ve just been waiting for the damn rain to stop (it never lets up here), so that I can actually take some decent photos of the light output!

The light output on these things is phenomenal! My neighbor commented yesterday and how bright my lights were.

Can’t wait!

A review while raining would be great too!

Can’t wait!

A review while raining would be great too!

I don't mind the rain, it's just POURING rain lately, like really, really hard. But the weather today says it's supposed to be overcast but no rain, so if that continues into the night, it might be the day. I'll at least snap some photos of them on the vehicle today, because they look great even when they're off!

Reactions: lovemachine