Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I think there is a misconception that LEDs don't generate heat. Oh trust me, they do! It's not as much as a halogen headlight, but they do get warm, and there's a reason they all have heatsinks on the back.

I think the heated headlight thing may be a bit blown out of proportion... just maybe?

I think there is a misconception that LEDs don't generate heat. Oh trust me, they do! It's not as much as a halogen headlight, but they do get warm, and there's a reason they all have heatsinks on the back.

I think the heated headlight thing may be a bit blown out of proportion... just maybe?

Maybe. But I have read about people having issues on other sights. Plus I found some news reports where LED traffic lights have caused accidents because of snow and ice buildup...people have run red lights without realizing it.

I also sent en email to KC Hilites, and asked them if they have had any issues. They promptly emailed back, and said they have reports of some people having problems, and others not. So it is something to be aware of, and at this time they don’t have the means to make heated led lights yet.

Reactions: Squatch
Stupid question here. I replaced my lights with the truck light WHDZ knock offs and I’m not sure if I got them upside down lol.

On low beam is the top or bottom half of the light supposed to be illuminated?

I feel like an idiot I just noticed when my wife pulled up in the driveway that the light is coming from he top half, looks odd to me lol

Update;

I still want LED headlights. I'm still undecided on WHICH ones to get. I'm still worried about snow and ice build up.
Of all the things in the world that could cause me displeasure.....worrying about snow and ice build up on anything I own is not one of them.

Reactions: Chris
Of all the things in the world that could cause me displeasure.....worrying about snow and ice build up on anything I own is not one of them.

Well, where I live we get snow and ice storms. And having snow and ice build up on your LED headlights is a very valid concern. Because if you can’t see the road, other drivers can’t see you. And lives are at stake.

So, again, it is a valid reason to worry.

Stupid question here. I replaced my lights with the truck light WHDZ knock offs and I’m not sure if I got them upside down lol.

On low beam is the top or bottom half of the light supposed to be illuminated?

I feel like an idiot I just noticed when my wife pulled up in the driveway that the light is coming from he top half, looks odd to me lol
Top half is low beam. Think of the shape of the reflector. It's bouncing the light down from the top. I had to scratch my head for a bit the first time I used em to don't worry ;)

interesting feature of the real truck-lites is they seem to be smart enough to know when it's getting a DRL signal on the high beam and runs the low beam instead.

Now Southern Ontario doesn't get the worst winter's. But as someone who's on the road for a living, I end up quite a ways north sometimes, and the weather frequently doesn't play nice in the winter. When I was still winter driving my jeep I never had issues with my NON-heated truck-lites icing up more than stock sealed beams. In fact except in freezing rain they were better. I think what happens is in snow it hits and falls off, on the halogen it hits, turns to slush and refreezes as the wind cools it. I have a couple of friends who use ether Truck-lites or Grote headlights (an excellent option for the money by the way) and none have ever had issues with icing up any more than halogens. Another thing to keep in mind, these lights were not made originally for consumers like us, they are made for the trucking and equipment industry. If icing was a major issue do you think they'd sell to long haul truckers who never knew what conditions they will be in? I strongly suspect the heated option is for people operating close the the artic circle, or perhaps just to solve a perceived problem that doesn't acctualy exist.

By the way when comparing Grote in friends jeeps to truck-lites in mine I've never been able to find any difference in output. At least from a visual standpoint, I have not taken any data with an instrument to compare.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Haven't had time to put the front arms on yet, but did get these cheap LED's in the meanwhile so I can actually see the road. Can't believe how pathetic stock halogen bulbs are. Figured this would be a temporary move that I've wanted fixed for a while. While money is there, I would rather focus on the drivetrain and gears for now.

7 inch LED Headlights Daymaker DOT Smoke with Cree Chip Bulbs Set Kit ($96)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YCW2XF/?tag=wranglerorg-20
img_3483-jpg.jpg

STOCK
img_3486-jpg.jpg
THE NEW SEXY

Plan to run the daytime running lights later on, but I do way too much night driving to drive with the factory bulbs anymore.

Haven't had time to put the front arms on yet, but did get these cheap LED's in the meanwhile so I can actually see the road. Can't believe how pathetic stock halogen bulbs are. Figured this would be a temporary move that I've wanted fixed for a while. While money is there, I would rather focus on the drivetrain and gears for now.

7 inch LED Headlights Daymaker DOT Smoke with Cree Chip Bulbs Set Kit ($96)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YCW2XF/?tag=wranglerorg-20
View attachment 36457
STOCKView attachment 36458THE NEW SEXY

Plan to run the daytime running lights later on, but I do way too much night driving to drive with the factory bulbs anymore.

How do you like them at night? I always tell people a good flashlight is an upgrade over the stock TJ headlights!

Reactions: MtnRanger160
How do you like them at night? I always tell people a good flashlight is an upgrade over the stock TJ headlights!
Sadly, that's not far from the truth. I could see 300% more of the road then I could before. These lights are plenty bright, crisp, easy on the wallet, and we'll see how they last through winter weather and abuse.

Sadly, that's not far from the truth. I could see 300% more of the road then I could before. These lights are plenty bright, crisp, easy on the wallet, and we'll see how they last through winter weather and abuse.

Yep! The stock headlights are an absolute joke. This is why I always laugh to myself when people argue over the quality of a set of $100 headlights versus $500 headlights.

I'm not saying the $500 headlights aren't made to a slightly higher standard. But seriously... ANY headlight is a massive improvement over the stock ones.

Reactions: MtnRanger160
Any continued feedback on the $100 amazon truck lite knock offs? Seems like it’s hard to beat for the money. I’ve been running the nightsun4x4 China lights for a few years, good output and no flashes once aimed well. However the DRL lights on the top and bottom are starting to burn out so I want to switch things up.

Any continued feedback on the $100 amazon truck lite knock offs? Seems like it’s hard to beat for the money. I’ve been running the nightsun4x4 China lights for a few years, good output and no flashes once aimed well. However the DRL lights on the top and bottom are starting to burn out so I want to switch things up.

I'd ask @CodaMan or @Jerry Bransford. They are two people I know of for sure who have been running them for a while now.

Here's the original thread: Replaced Headlights with Truck Lite Knock-Offs

Thanks to Colorado, the set I bought have made it through heavy rain, sleet, and snow and I haven't noticed any issues since they were installed. People complemented on them and I like the light they provide. I bought wire and a fuse relay to hook up the DRL but just haven't got around to it yet, so I can't evaluate that.

Reactions: Jeeptrash and Chris
WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!
I've had these lights on my Amazon wish list since I first found this thread, over a year ago! I was too cheap to replace the factory "lanterns" when they still worked. I finally broke down and decided to spoil myself. Before, I had a hard time driving at night but now its the only time I want too. Thanks for all the knowledge but I think y'all forgot to mention, IF YOUR READING THIS AND STILL RUN FACTORY, OPEN ANOTHER TAB AND ORDER YOUR LIGHTS. THE ONLY THING YOU MAY REGRET IS NOT GETTING EXPEDITED SHIPPING. Haha. Now, I realize that just because there are two dots on the front, does not mean the headlights WORK!

Left pic: New vs Old
Right pic: My free light bars may find a new home...

IMG-1215.JPG

IMG-1221.JPG

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!
I've had these lights on my Amazon wish list since I first found this thread, over a year ago! I was too cheap to replace the factory "lanterns" when they still worked. I finally broke down and decided to spoil myself. Before, I had a hard time driving at night but now its the only time I want too. Thanks for all the knowledge but I think y'all forgot to mention, IF YOUR READING THIS AND STILL RUN FACTORY, OPEN ANOTHER TAB AND ORDER YOUR LIGHTS. THE ONLY THING YOU MAY REGRET IS NOT GETTING EXPEDITED SHIPPING. Haha. Now, I realize that just because there are two dots on the front, does not mean the headlights WORK!

Left pic: New vs Old
Right pic: My free light bars may find a new home...

Have those same lights and absolutely love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk