Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I'd like to add an important note. Some of you guys may have noticed that there's a ton of headlights like this floating around out there:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9AQR7R/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You may ask yourself why there's so many supposed 'manufacturers' such as Lantsun, Nightsun, etc., all making the same headlight. Well, it's because they all come from China and they're all shipped to the US and re-branded as whatever they want to call them. They are ALL the EXACT SAME HEADLIGHT, just marketed as a different brand. Don't be a fool and pay an arm and a leg just because one of them comes from a name brand like Nightsun. They're all built in the same factory in China.

I'm just pointing this out because the market is flooded with LED headlights and it can be hard to understand what is what.
Have you heard of these lights?

E94A743B-34C9-4956-909E-12B040B339A2.png

Now having run the Truck Lite knock offs for a couple months, not only am I impressed with the amount of light output for the seeing the road proper, the light thrown out to the side is absolutely amazing. Not only does the wildlife crossing the road stand out, you'll see whatever is standing to either side well off the road.
If you have to dodge a lot of deer where you live, you will not be sorry to make the switch.

Reactions: Chris and H_E_H
Now having run the Truck Lite knock offs for a couple months, not only am I impressed with the amount of light output for the seeing the road proper, the light thrown out to the side is absolutely amazing. Not only does the wildlife crossing the road stand out, you'll see whatever is standing to either side well off the road.
If you have to dodge a lot of deer where you live, you will not be sorry to make the switch.
I think I'll give these a go. If I don't entirely like them, I can install them on my daughter's jeep and find myself something else. Thanks for your input and report back

Reactions: mushdogs
My Truck-Lites arrived today and my son and I get them installed. At sunset, I went for a test ride. Damn, they are bright. Almost too bright. A tour bus passing me on a two-lane road flashed me his high beams, but I flashed mine back to indicate I was on my regular beams. I"m concerned I'm blinding drivers, but these things are DOT approved.

Reactions: Chris
My Truck-Lites arrived today and my son and I get them installed. At sunset, I went for a test ride. Damn, they are bright. Almost too bright. A tour bus passing me on a two-lane road flashed me his high beams, but I flashed mine back to indicate I was on my regular beams. I"m concerned I'm blinding drivers, but these things are DOT approved.

The DOT doesn’t approve or disapprove anything. That’s just some marketing BS they put on there because apparently people believe it.

Just aim your headlights and you should be fine 👍

Reactions: pagrey and H_E_H
The DOT doesn’t approve or disapprove anything. That’s just some marketing BS they put on there because apparently people believe it.

Just aim your headlights and you should be fine 👍
Yep. What Chris said.

I’ve been flashed once, and that was because I was headed uphill at a switchback on my daily commute and the truck coming down had my lights painting his drivers front quarter, I’m sure effectively blinding him. Bad angling, not bad aiming.
I did an aiming check after installing the lights even though I’d done one in the not too distant past when I replaced a bucket. Mostly just to satisfy my curiosity, and found they were spot on.

Okay I have the knockoff Trucklites and they are very good. I aimed mine down a lot because they are very bright and are way too high. Blinding oncoming traffic isn't a very smart or kind idea. I am impressed so far.

My Truck-lites are still adjusted too high upwards. Cannot seem to lower them much more. I've tightened the bottom two screws and loosened the top, but still blindingly too high.

Also one headlight seems brighter than the other? I ordered them on Amazon and the box was taped up as if it may have been a return. I'll probably send these back and either try my luck with the same type or look into another brand.

My Truck-lites are still adjusted too high upwards. Cannot seem to lower them much more. I've tightened the bottom two screws and loosened the top, but still blindingly too high.

Also one headlight seems brighter than the other? I ordered them on Amazon and the box was taped up as if it may have been a return. I'll probably send these back and either try my luck with the same type or look into another brand.
There are two main adjustment screws and one that normally stays put, but I guess you could move it. Turn headlights on in front of your garage door and watch your adjustment there. Also, make sure the headlights are right side up and seated firmly. I assume you did all this, but figured I would add to this thread.

Reactions: H_E_H
I thought there was a single up down screw on each headlight and a single left right screw. It sounds like you are screwing things up.

I thought there was a single up down screw on each headlight and a single left right screw. It sounds like you are screwing things up.
Old eyes in the dark are near-useless. I probably am adjusting the wrong screws. I returned the headlights and am awaiting new ones. I'll give it another go tomorrow when they arrive.

Reactions: pagrey
Old eyes in the dark are near-useless. I probably am adjusting the wrong screws. I returned the headlights and am awaiting new ones. I'll give it another go tomorrow when they arrive.
The factory service manual on this site in the TJ resources section has instructions on how to do it. It's section 8L-7 for a 2004, the manual is crazy. I just searched in it for headlamp but there are also pics on the web everywhere too.

The factory service manual on this site in the TJ resources section has instructions on how to do it. It's section 8L-7 for a 2004, the manual is crazy. I just searched in it for headlamp but there are also pics on the web everywhere too.
Awesome. Good to know. I'll give it a look. Thank you, pagrey.

It depends on the model year. There will either be a single adjustment torx screw located on the upper outboard of the light bucket for up/down adjustment only, or an up/down on the upper outboard and a left/right located on the lower inboard of the bucket. Easy way to tell which are the adjustments is there should be a groove in the bezel to slip the driver in.

+1 for snagging JK factory headlights for cheap. even stock halogen's are slightly better than the sealed beams. Now I just need to find myself a decent H13 LED bulb and I should be set!

Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights (Chinese Knockoff Version)

So far my opinion is split about them.
They light up road phenomenally, no complaints here, but light is very scattered. When i was adjusting them, at 25ft away i was a bit confused as to where the light focus was, it was literally lighting up the whole garage door.
To an extent i like it, because when im in the woods or some dark roads, i see everything. And those high beams can probably burn through someones soul. It even made me think 3rd time about investing into a light bar.

However, i have a feeling that one of this days someone from incoming side will fly off the road because of me unintentionally blinding them. I have them adjusted good, they are never above sedan trunk height when im in traffic, but because of the spread i always see them lighting up side mirrors of cars in front of me.

Another thing is, i am almost at the peak of adjustment range, and because of that they look at bit retarded.
Lift or weight load on my jeep may or may not have effect on the angle, but even if it is a little bit not proportional, it should not effect it so much to cause such extreme adjustments.

20191002_190821.jpg

Reactions: H_E_H and Chris
After reading the bulk of this thread, and after driving the new JL with factory LED'S, I just pulled the pin on a set of the Chinese truck lite knock offs for old Rube. Will report my experience when they arrive.

Reactions: Chris and Alex01
Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights (Chinese Knockoff Version)
Another thing is, i am almost at the peak of adjustment range, and because of that they look at bit retarded.
Lift or weight load on my jeep may or may not have effect on the angle, but even if it is a little bit not proportional, it should not effect it so much to cause such extreme adjustments.
Mine as well. They're adjusted like yours and there was difficulty inserting the top screw on one of the bezels.